Impossible News

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Burning Petard

Impossible News

Post by Burning Petard »

From Yahoo News, first when I started Yahoo! this morning:

"Burger King’s Impossible Whopper: Here’s what eaters are saying
Yahoo Finance Heidi Chung,Yahoo Finance Thu, Aug 8 5:06 PM EDT

Burger King launches Impossible Whopper nationwide today

After a successful test phase, Burger King (QSR) officially dropped its Impossible Whopper in all of its 7,200 stores nationwide Thursday. Unlike the classic Whopper, the Impossible Whopper features a plant-based alternative to beef offered by Impossib""

So what is going on--headline says nationwide launch. First sentence in the story says if is officilly dropped in all stores.
Perhaps the word 'dripped' has a new (for me) meaning that is the same as 'released for sale' ? Or is it just more indication that too many 'writers' get paid to put stuff out on the internet who have next to zero skills in communication in English?

I have tried the Impossible Burger once at BK and found it not worth a premium price compared to other things on the menu.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Re: Impossible News

Post by BoSoxGal »

New software ‘drops’, new products ‘drop’ - language evolves, geezers struggle to keep up. :P

My client ordered an impossible burger yesterday along with a regular whopper - he said the impossible tasted better. I’ll take his word for it, they both looked gross to me having been delivered by one of those food delivery services - I firmly believe fast food is only tasty served piping hot and eaten immediately.

I will totally buy impossible burger and use it to make burgers, meatballs and meatloaf at home as soon as it’s available - my understanding is that the product is so hot the company can’t keep up with demand at present.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

What's the big deal?  Haven't there been 'non-meat' meat substitutes (usually "soy-based textured vegetable protein") in the supermarkets under the brand names of Boca Burger, Morningstar Farms, or Gardenburger for a couple of decades already?

I predict this will be a flash in the pan.  There will be some initial demand and a spike in sales for it driven more by curiosity than anything, but I feel that it will eventually join the Triple Whopper, McPizza, and the Wendy's salad bar in the pantheon of "Fast Food Items You Can't Get Any More" in very short order.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

wesw

Post by wesw »

if you are buying imitation meat, I have to believe that you really aren t into the whole vegan thing as much as are the starving wastrels who are willing to sacrifice their health in pursuit of some un natural, illogical and generally stupid and unrealistic ideal that has been fed to them thru Hollywood and the commies, who prefer you to be malnourished and weak.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Malnourished and weak like these guys?

Or these guys?

Or these folks?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Impossible News

Post by RayThom »

wesw wrote:if you are buying imitation meat, I have to believe that you really aren t into the whole vegan thing as much as are the starving wastrels who are willing to sacrifice their health in pursuit of some un natural, illogical and generally stupid and unrealistic ideal that has been fed to them thru Hollywood and the commies, who prefer you to be malnourished and weak.
WTF... did you cut and paste this? It's all in a readable sentence, with "almost" normal punctuation.

What hath God wrought?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:WTF... did you cut and paste this? It's all in a readable sentence, with "almost" normal punctuation.

What hath God wrought?
I tend to think of it more as a validation of the "infinite monkey" theorem.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

What makes Impossible burger different from all the meat substitutes to come before it is that it is NOT targeted to the vegan/vegetarian population - many of whom are so grossed out by the concept of consuming animal flesh that they don't have any desire to consume something that so closely approximates flesh as does Impossible burger. Most garden burgers are very distinguishable from meat - they don't bleed, and that they are composed of veggies and legumes is very easy to see and taste - the appearance and texture is entirely different from meat. Impossible is made to be able to fool meat eaters, from the texture and taste up to the way it 'bleeds' - using heme derived from plants, but which behaves just like the heme in animal flesh.

Impossible burger is meant to save humans from heart disease and other ill effects of a meat-based diet, as well as to save the planet from the many ill effects of the massive beef production industry currently meeting a seemingly insatiable appetite for animal flesh. Oh yeah, and to lessen however much the amount of human cruelty to animals that said industry engages in.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Okay, I'll have one-a them Impossible Burgers with cheese, a large order of fries and a chocolate milkshake. I feel healthier already!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

You want a plastic straw with that?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:What's the big deal?  Haven't there been 'non-meat' meat substitutes (usually "soy-based textured vegetable protein") in the supermarkets under the brand names of Boca Burger, Morningstar Farms, or Gardenburger for a couple of decades already?
To come back to BB's point, yes, TVP has been around for 50 years and it's the kind of thing I used to keep in the pantry in those long ago years when I had no money (=grad student) and sometimes wanted something I could cook in ten minutes coming home from the lab at 4 in the morning. I recall that Vesta curries were palatable but I had a stronger stomach in those days.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

The best meatloaf I have ever had was at a public restaurant located between Kansas City and Lee's Summit, Missouri, run by a religious group called Unity (founded in late 19th century and not related to Unitarian Universalism. closer to Mary Baker Eddy and Christian Science). The place was vegetarian and the 'meatless meatloaf' was based on acorns gathered at their compound. I think it also had black walnuts in it.

I had no desire to be vegetarian. I was there as the guest of somebody else who was paying the bill. I was very surprised at how good it was. This happened back in 1958.

snailgate