Restaurant commendation for Western Illinois.

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Burning Petard

Restaurant commendation for Western Illinois.

Post by Burning Petard »

If you find yourself driving on I70 in Western Illinois, consider stopping at the Blue Springs Cafe, exit 30 from either direction. It is an old 'Stuckey's' with typical easy on and off from both directions. There is a fuel station nearby with typical high prices. Other wise the location seems to be in the middle of farm fields with no other houses or commerce visible.

I stopped there back in April and again a week ago as I was returning from a road trip to Oklahoma. It is open 11am to 9pm, 7 days a week. The food is way above average road side fair and I think the dollar value is outstanding. Some signs on the interstate mention 'foot-high pies'. These are the usual, but very complete variety of custards covered in meringues. There is also a big selection of fruit/ berry. I ordered the pecan pie and the server said 'It has chocolate chips in it. Is that ok?'" Turned out to be just fine. In April we stopped early evening and had a great meal for less than $8 dollars each. The place has been completely stripped out inside. Only the outside shape indicates the Stuckey's history. There was evidence that there is live music sometimes. A bar is available. This time I hit it right after they opened at 11am just for pie and coffee. By the time I was finished the place was about 3/4 filled with locals there for the lunch special. Clearly it caters more to locals than travelers.

I also hit the cafe in Tulsa that is listed on the internet as having the best sandwich in Oklahoma. That is another story.

snailgate

TPFKA@W

Re: Restaurant commendation for Western Illinois.

Post by TPFKA@W »

If you don't mind dropping a few more dollars, head east on I70 to Effingham. https://www.ffgrill.com is a wonderful restaurant. It is more than a 2 hour drive from Indy but so worth the trip. My husband and I love road trips so we will be taking one to your discovery if we can find it.