Parents Can't Agree on the Sex of Their Child...

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
BoSoxGal

Re: Parents Can't Agree on the Sex of Their Child...

Post by BoSoxGal »

This article is about an adult who transitioned and has since de-transitioned.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -back.html

Again, I’m not transphobic. To the extent that nobody else is harmed, I’m very much live and let live. But I have concerns about the infancy of the science upon which all the gender transitioning therapy and medicine is based. After 50 years on the planet I’ve come to understand how little doctors really know in general about our bodies and minds - how much medicine and particularly psychiatric medicine is still in its infancy with practitioners often stumbling in the dark while professing extreme confidence and competence to largely trusting and unsophisticated patients.

I’m just troubled. I wonder what others think?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I think every major medical intervention brings risks, and I think that everyone undergoing them needs to be fully informed of those risks, in this case, one of the risks being, "what if you go through with this and later realize it's not what you want?"

At the same time, I can't help but feel that a lot of the obsession (present company excepted) with the prospect that trans people will realize they are not really trans, has little or nothing to do with genuine concern about the person in question, rather than trying to find some sort of hook to justify opposition to trans rights generally and to access to transitioning technologies specifically.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Everyone walks a different path. Just because this is THIS individual's experience should not cast shade on anyone else's experience. The only trans people that I have known were extremely screwed up people in general, lots of drama-that sort of thing. I came to attribute it to being extremely square pegs in a round peg world where their choices were thought of as deviant by too many people. In a more accepting environment perhaps they would develop with better mental health.