She's Once...Twice...Three Times a Worman....

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Parasitic worms likely entered eye of woman during Carmel Valley trail run

Parasitic eye worms may have crawled into the eye of a trail runner while she was jogging in Monterey County's Carmel Valley.

The runner, a 68-year-old woman from Nebraska who spends her winters in the area, became only the second person known to have been infected by Thelazia gulosa, a roundworm that is carried by flies, according to a case study published recently in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases. The worm, also known as a nematode, is normally found in cattle.

Researchers say the eye worm could be an emerging zoonotic disease in the United States. A zoonotic disease is one that jumps from animals to people.

The woman told doctors she recalled a specific run in the area in February 2018 in which she ran into a swarm of flies. She was "swatting the flies from her face and spitting them out of her mouth," according to the study. That could have been the moment of infection.

In March 2018, she felt an irritation in her right eye. When she flushed it with tap water, a half-inch-long roundworm popped out. She took a closer look and saw a second worm, which she also plucked. A trip to a Monterey eye doctor the next day resulted in the discovery of a third worm.

That nematode was sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, whose scientists determined that it was T.gulosa. The roundworm hitches rides on certain kinds of flies that drink cow eye secretions, allowing the parasite to enter the bovines' eyes.

The CDC researchers noted that the worm they examined was developing eggs, "indicating that humans are suitable hosts for the reproduction of T. gulosa," according to the Clinical Infectious Diseases study.

A fourth worm turned up when the woman returned to Nebraska. After daily eye irrigation for two weeks, no further worms were found.

The first human infected by T.gulosa on record was a 26-year-old Oregon woman in 2016.

The parasite has been known to infect North American cattle since the 1940s. But because the two human cases are only two years apart, scientists think it could be a new health threat to people as well.
source

Long Run

Re: She's Once...Twice...Three Times a Worman....

Post by Long Run »

Is this why Calvin Coolidge said, "I choose not to run"?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

So how’s retirement Joe?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It's not easy being a retired old, white and privileged racist in this century. I was thinking of finding something less stressful than putting up with the 'youngers' around here so I put in an application at Kaiser Hospital to be an emergency room nurse practitioner.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I think a better title for this thread might have been "I spy, with my little eye..."
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:It's not easy being a retired old, white and privileged racist in this century. I was thinking of finding something less stressful than putting up with the 'youngers' around here so I put in an application at Kaiser Hospital to be an emergency room nurse practitioner.
Let me know how that works out for you.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

On my application I noted that I want to work part time (6 hours) and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays with a 15 minute break every 2 hours. This, of course, might mean that I'd have to step out during a highly stressful life-threatening medical procedure but I assured them that I'm very punctual when it comes to returning from breaks. I'm pretty sure I'll get the job. I've got a great work history, having been an Assistant Walmart Greeter for the past 25 years.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

having been an Assistant Walmart Greeter for the past 25 years.

I thought you were working the fryer at the In-N-Out Burger...

(Well that's what Timothy Geitner's chief assistant used to say, anyway...)
Last edited by Lord Jim on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Yeah, the In-N-Out Burger job was an extra job I took on to supplement my income after they raised the rent on my half of the trailer. I discovered after a year or so that I could make more money than I did at that job by collecting and taking aluminum cans and clear plastic bottles to a recycle center.

Other than that, I had a solid career as a highly professional greeter.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I thought you were just a joegalo.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Oh no.... Walmart greeters are held to a very high standard and are actually on duty 24 hrs per day. Sometimes 25. That’s a little known fact but true however. I couldn’t risk my reputation with gigilozation. Besides, I’m a man of high moral character.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote: I’m a man of high moral character.
You clearly need more fiber.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I asked my doctor about your suggestion and he said that would be pushing it.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:Besides, I’m a man of high moral character.
Why do I suddenly have this song running through my mind?
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste... "
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Wooo Wooooo

dales

Post by dales »

Joe Guy wrote: I could make more money than I did at that job by collecting and taking aluminum cans and clear plastic bottles to a recycle center.
They don't exist anymore, all have been closed in CA.

Not enough profit in recycling, just toss them in the garbage with the other "recyclables".

Guess you'll have to sell plasma to make a little cash.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

There are still a couple over here on the peninsula but I don’t know how long they will continue to operate.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I still see street people in 'Frisco with shopping carts full of cans and bottles...

They must be taking them some where...
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Lord Jim wrote:I still see street people in 'Frisco with shopping carts full of cans and bottles...

They must be taking them some where...
Probably because these private sector eco-warriors are picking up only the recyclable materials that are profitable. There is very little need for sorting anything at the drop off location. Low overhead.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If I recall, San Francisco charges deposits for bottles (and perhaps cans) and refunds the deposits when they are turned in; this could be a pretty good profit if you brought in enough.