Fire down below

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
RayThom

Fire down below

Post by RayThom »

Sydney Fireworks 2020:

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Re: Fire down below

Post by Scooter »

But hey, let's heap vitriol on a 16 year old who is worried about climate change because, you know, it's a total hoax and the little bitch deserved it.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Has Trump ordered an emergency airlift of rakes, yet?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:But hey, let's heap vitriol on a 16 year old who is worried about climate change because, you know, it's a total hoax and the little bitch deserved it.
t

Oh dear, that's somewhat hyperbolic I think..
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Australia fires: There's a blaze in Victoria state the size of Manhattan

Three fires have combined to form a single blaze bigger than the New York borough of Manhattan, as Australian firefighters battle what has been predicted to the most catastrophic day yet in an already devastating bushfire season.

The fires joined overnight in the Omeo region in Victoria state, creating a 6,000-hectare (23 square mile) blaze, according to Gippsland's Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.

In neighboring New South Wales state, a fire in the Wollondilly region south of the capital Sydney remains "out of control," according to the Rural Fire Service. It has burned 264,000 hectares (1,020 square miles) of land in recent months.

Weather conditions are deteriorating rapidly on Saturday, with the country's Bureau of Meteorology warning that winds are picking up and temperatures increasing. "Today will be a day of severe to extreme fire danger through many districts," the bureau said.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/causes-d ... BYB9G4_1|1
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Apparently there are dozens of Canadian water bombers ready to make the trip, but Morrison has yet to ask for them, because he does not want to give credence to claims by the states that they are in need of more support than the federal government has been willing to provide.

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This Morrison sounds like a fuckwit of the highest order.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Fried out Kombis and disaster on the highest order. Why is there not a concerted international effort to help? Oh yes, stupid leader syndrome which is rampant.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

People all over the world have contributed over 27 million dollars to a fund for the NSW bushfire fighting agencies via Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/nt/screen/?param ... er%2F&_rdr
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I gave to the Oz Red Cross and the WWF Australia, Koala project. Better to give directly, its clearer they are a 501(c)(3) and eligible for a tax deduction. I also don’t trust Facebook. I had an issue with their “birthday” fund raisers a couple of years ago.

But also better to just give, and if its more convenient to do it that way, then good.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Lots of direct donation options here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/06/worl ... fires.html

Will try to copy the text and all links, tomorrow.

Edited to fix link
Last edited by Guinevere on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I would not trust diddly shit over Facebook. I can't imagine encouraging that. What I actually meant was some sort of Governmental efforts outside of OZ.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You’re an old woman with little understanding of technology so I’m not surprised you don’t trust diddly shit. :roll:

The fundraiser is totally legitimate - it’s via the PayPal Giving Fund which is a duly registered charity in Australia, Canada and the U.K. - and the fees are all waived by Facebook which also legitimizes the fundraiser and the payouts of funds collected. It is not a scam. Or I guess Pink and Nicole Kidman and Leo DiCaprio and dozens of other wealthy international jet setter philanthropic types just aren’t as clever as the wicked witch nurse from the Midwest USA. :roll:

Here’s an article about the scam fundraiser started by an Australian comedienne/scam artist of epic proportions: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... LLION.html

International Red Cross is nice too, but the Facebook fund has zero administrative fees off the top - it’s all going to the mostly volunteer organizations that are fighting the bushfires.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

OMG! BSG is wesw!!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:Here’s an article about the scam fundraiser started by an Australian comedienne/scam artist of epic proportions: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... LLION.html
That article doesn't say anything about the fundraiser being a scam, and an admittedly quick and cursory Google search doesn't turn up anything to indicate that this isn't on the level either.  About the only adverse remark/claim I could find was another article from the Daily Mail questioning the amount of time (supposedly up to 90 days) it would take for the money to get to those who needed it the most.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:OMG! BSG is wesw!!

Don’t insult wes like that.

wesw

Post by wesw »

arson.

180 arrested?

allahu akbar.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Here we go again, where in the world according to wes, every forest fire is an act of Islamist terrorism.

Folks around your parts who need tin foil for cooking are going to be pissed that you bought it all up to make hats.

-- Author unknown

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

OMG! 280 Moos-lims arrested for starting a drought!

OMG!!! 380 A-rabs arrested for starting a heat wave that raised the *NATIONAL* *AVERAGE* temperature to 42°C!!!!!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

• Australian bushfire smoke affecting South America, UN reports
    World Meteorological Organization says smoke has ‘probably’ reached Antarctic

Reuters

Tue 7 Jan 2020 13.14 EST

Smoke from bushfires in Australia has drifted across the Pacific and affected cities in South America, and may have reached the Antarctic, the UN World Meteorological Organization said on Tuesday.

Smoke from the fires had already turned skies bright orange over Auckland in New Zealand.

But skies as far away as over central Chile have now gone grey because of the smoke and the WMO cited reports that the sunset in Argentina’s capital, Buenos Aires, had turned red.

“The fires have led to hazardous air quality, which has affected human health, in major cities in Australia, spreading to New Zealand and sent smoke drifting thousands of kilometres across the Pacific to South America,” a WMO spokeswoman said. Smoke had “probably” reached the Antarctic, she added.

The fires, which have raged for months in Australia, have already emitted 400 megatonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and produced harmful pollutants, the EU’s Copernicus monitoring programme said on Monday.

Brown sooty deposits have already been reported on glaciers in New Zealand, potentially accelerating the rate at which they are melting, the programme said.
God @The Tweet of God