Former male model makes good

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

A former male model is now top of the English Premier League Fantasy Football rankings. This is a worldwide competition with 7,000,000 players.

Norway's Magnus Carlsen is famous for his good looks (he was one of Cosmopolitan's three 'Sexiest Men of the Year' in 2013) and was a model for G-Star Raw which is a Dutch urban clothing company (I wear urban clothing every time I am in the city which is, frankly, all the time) - here's a picture of Magnus modeling something.

Cool, eh? Fancy being this good looking as well as being top of a worldwide fantasy football league.

Magnus has other interests.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

A wolf in chic clothing?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Former male model makes good

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Given the state of the world today, when you said "former male model" I automatically assumed the person had transitioned, much like Bruce Jenner, Chastity Bono, or George Jorgenson.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Amazingly young-looking considering his age. I very much enjoyed his performance as Wally in "Time Bandits"

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

rubato

Post by rubato »

I'm glad he's done more than just play chess.

yrs,
rubato

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

If someone can be arsed to do so, please explain to me wtf is fantasy football? I have heard it mentioned many times over the years but as I detest football I have never paid close attention, or really any attention whatsoever. TIA.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It’s for those people who love both football and statistics.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I've never played, but from what I understand one fields a team each week and scores game point based on how the individual players do in their actual games. I'm sure there are rules about how many players can be on a team and when the final roster has to be posted to the league. The other thing I understand is that some fantasy leagues pit the different participants' teams in head to head competition (awarding league points for the winners), while others just award points based on the overall performance (e.g. the top 5 teams get points based on their weekly performance). At the end of the season a few teams are chosen for a playoff round (based on their total league points, and the winners get a prize (usually money put up by all the players at the beginning).

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Big RR wrote:I've never played, but from what I understand one fields a team each week and scores game point based on how the individual players do in their actual games. I'm sure there are rules about how many players can be on a team and when the final roster has to be posted to the league. The other thing I understand is that some fantasy leagues pit the different participants' teams in head to head competition (awarding league points for the winners), while others just award points based on the overall performance (e.g. the top 5 teams get points based on their weekly performance). At the end of the season a few teams are chosen for a playoff round (based on their total league points, and the winners get a prize (usually money put up by all the players at the beginning).

So they are real players? I don't think I am absorbing the fantasy part? I suppose I should just google it. If I can be arsed.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

They are real players and real stats; the "fantasy" is putting together your own team and creating a weekly roster as if you were a real coach.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I think fantasy baseball (sometimes called rotisserie baseball) is better.  Since each and every player comes to bat — except the pitcher in the AL — each player has the potential to contribute to the overall scoring, even if all they do is walk or get hit by a pitch to get on base and then subsequently score on a later play.  And since each player also has a chance to handle (or mishandle) the ball while in the field, their miscues could also affect the outcome.

It's not quite the same in football.  Interior linemen almost never touch the ball or score points; the offense/defense platoon system now in place means that the same person who scores a touchdown will not be on the field trying to prevent the other team from doing the same; and then you need to consider that there is a THIRD platoon (the "special teams" for punts and kickoffs — and their counterparts, the return teams, and placekicking) that comes on only in specific instances.  So how do know assign stats and to whom for a successful play, or a penalty assessed, or a missed blocking assignment which results in no gain or a loss of yardage?

And then there's also situational play-calling.  It's 4th and 1 at the opponent's five-yard line.  The coach decides to go for it rather than kick a field goal, so he sends in someone like Refrigerator Perry (remember him?) to carry the ball; he takes the handoff and bulls his way forward for the first down.  He didn't score, but he did succeed in doing what he was sent in to do, which was to gain that one yard and get another series of downs to try to score.  But what sort of 'fantasy' stat recognizes something like that?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

But what sort of 'fantasy' stat recognizes something like that?
None, since Perry was a lineman, and a fantasy team only has (and recognizes the stats of) the running backs, quarterback, wide receivers and kickers on the offense. Indeed, I think he was a defensive lineman, and individual defensive players are not included--a team's entire defense is scored so, e.g., one could select the Rams defense and the stats of the entire unit are scored.

I don't recall the play you are referring to, but I believe Chicago's coach Mike Ditka did use Perry a few times in this way--he would probably have lined up in the backfield as a fullback, and any yards gained could have been scored in a Fantasy league. However, since he was primarily a defensive player, I doubt anyone would have selected him as a running back for their team, so it is unlikely that such gains would make a difference.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The play I referred to (4th and 1 from the 5) was a made-up situation — to illustrate going for the sure, small gain instead of the whole enchilada by bringing in a big guy to make two yards and a cloud of dust, and I just threw Refrigerator Perry's name out there as a "for instance, someone like this dude" kinda thing.  However, Perry did score two rushing touchdowns in his career — one against my beloved Green Bay Packers in October 1985

and another one against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XX back in January 1986.

He also caught a pass against the Packers for another touchdown during their second meeting in November 1985.

Perry may have been a great guy and someone I'd still be happy to share a beer or two with (and the same goes for Mike Ditka), but I remember wishing that day that the two of them would get hit by a bus or something.
-"BB"-

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

The "Fridge" today.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Life is such a bitch to so many people. :(
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy wrote: Fancy being this good looking as well as being top of a worldwide fantasy football league
No. I don't. He was good in "The Princess Bride" though.

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Perry may have been a great guy and someone I'd still be happy to share a beer or two with (and the same goes for Mike Ditka), but I remember wishing that day that the two of them would get hit by a bus or something.
I remember wishing the same thing; and, FWIW, I doubt I could have put up with Ditka for even a beer, but Perry probably woudl have been OK.

BSG--I don't think it is "life" per se, it's the abuse you heap on yourself to play a sport at an elite level. His exceptionally high weight, combined with his muscles and stamina, made him a force to be reckoned with in the NFL, but this came back to haunt him later. Hell, my older daughter, who competed in gymnastics at the elite level for a ti,e while in high school , still has some ankle and knee problems because of the stress she put on those joints (and multiple fractures). It's like running a car at top speed all the time, it wears out quicker.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
I remember wishing the same thing; and, FWIW, I doubt I could have put up with Ditka for even a beer, but Perry probably woudl have been OK.

BSG--I don't think it is "life" per se, it's the abuse you heap on yourself to play a sport at an elite level. His exceptionally high weight, combined with his muscles and stamina, made him a force to be reckoned with in the NFL, but this came back to haunt him later. Hell, my older daughter, who competed in gymnastics at the elite level for a ti,e while in high school , still has some ankle and knee problems because of the stress she put on those joints (and multiple fractures). It's like running a car at top speed all the time, it wears out quicker.
No, I meant life. He’s an addict. I’ve worked with dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of addicts, and people deeply damaged in other ways. It almost always has its roots in adverse childhood experiences (ACE), i.e., trauma. I’d bet my next paycheck that The Fridge had trauma long before he subjected his body to the rigors of professional football.

From his Wiki page:
Perry was born in Aiken, South Carolina. He has stated in an interview that "Even when I was little, I was big"; by the time he was 11 years old, he weighed 200 pounds.[1] Frequently ridiculed for his weight while growing up, Perry took advantage of his athleticism to silence his critics.
So, he was bullied. By family? Schoolmates? The statistics on later life dysfunction of bullied children are dramatic - tearing down the psyche of a child doesn’t build them up or make them stronger - they may survive, but they are generally profoundly affected and damaged, very often manifesting in addiction of one kind or another, or other self-destructive behavior.

Imagine a world where all children were lovingly nurtured. It’s easy if you try.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

Football and "football culture" are terminally fu**ed up and should be shunned like the Amish until they grow up.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

Magnus looks like a pug dog that has chased one too many parked cars.

yrs
rubato