Rogue River Blue Cheese

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Crackpot

Re: Rogue River Blue Cheese

Post by Crackpot »

Due to letter transposition when I see this thread title I see Rouge River and the thought of cheese from the area is not Appetizing.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:I had government cheese in the 70's and it was mostly a blend of real cheeses including American. Maybe the recipe changed over the years, but I recall it being much better than Velveeta. Planet Money recently had a story on the why and how of government cheese, and they interviewed someone who had been with the program and he stated the cheese met a pretty high standard of quality.
There are American cheeses - cheddars, etc. - and there is ‘American cheese’, a particular type of processed cheese food governed by the CFR. This type, sold as singles and also available in blocks in the deli for slicing to order, is very similar to Velveeta.

When I was a kid growing up, American cheese was the only cheese I’d ever had - singles in sandwiches and the powdered version in Kraft Mac-n-Cheese. At the holidays we had better cheeses from Hickory Farms and every year a port wine cheese log, but for the most part my experience of cheese was crap basic stuff. The only exotic (ha!) cheese I ever had was provolone or swiss occasionally on a sandwich.

When I went to law school I was finally exposed to fabulous cheeses - on cheese trays at receptions and by one of my roommates who had a wide experience of cheese and made homemade mac-n-cheese (!!!!) and since then I have endeavored to explore the world of real cheeses and the best quality I could afford.

After I finish getting through my little stock of cheeses currently in the fridge (Camembert, borgonzola, gruyere, Gouda, some lovely infused cheddars, some Irish and Scottish cheddars) I’m going to explore a new frontier: cheeses made from plant milks. Instead of recognizing ’Veganuary’, I’m spending this month getting through all the meat and cheese in my fridge and freezer so I can make another attempt at eating dairy free (except eggs) and largely meat-free (some chicken and seafood) purely for health reasons. I adore cheese beyond words, but it definitely has become much, much harder to tolerate as I’ve gotten older - it’s a huge source of inflammation and my joints just can’t take it anymore. I’m thinking to keep from going crazy I’ll allow myself one cheese fest per month probably a roasted garlic batard with some baked Camembert - but learn to like plant-based cheeses the rest of the time.

Are there any vegans here familiar with the world of artisanal cheese substitutes? I’ve heard they can be quite good. :shrug
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

i'm not vegan, but I have tasted a few vegan cheeses and the best I can say is that they were edible and preferable to (actually considerably better than) cheese products such as velveeta and cheese whiz. But this is faint praise, and I presume there are some good ones; I'd be interested to see which ones you like when you begin your foray into that area as I'd like to see how a good vegan cheese tastes.
Last edited by Big RR on Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

My niece is a vegan chef and she swears by Treeline and Kite Hill brands, although last time she came around she brought dairy-free cheddar and provolone made by some other companies (can't recall the names now). The cheddar was pretty forgettable but the provolone had a really good flavor.
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Yes, I use vegan "cheese" as a substitute for real cheese in scrambled eggs and grilled cheese/melty sandwiches, and sometimes for cream cheese. Kite Hill makes some good vegan cream cheese, and Follow Your Heart makes a decent smoked gouda and a good pepper jack I like in my eggs or on a sandwich. But to sit down and eat, plain or with good bread or crackers, no, nein, non.

Consider the inflammation from wheat and other gluten, too. When I eat gluten, my allergies flare up. When I severely limit it, I'm much better.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Do many vegan cheeses contain gluten? I wouldn't have guessed that, but you learn something every day. My wife is a celiac sufferer, so we are pretty careful about what we bring into the house, but generally coffee, (real) cheese, and chocolate are fine.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I don’t think so, I think she’s just making a suggestion to me about other good ways to reduce my inflammation.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Oh, then, as Emily Litella says, "Never mind".

wesw

Post by wesw »

the ancient humans ranged far and wide

they gathered fake cheese and fake meat by the bushel.....

...these days they are n0 l0nger f0und in the wild....

gl0bal warming has ruined the habitat in which fake f00d fl0urished.

I blame trump

if y0u are vegan , eat a damned banana!!!!

this silly c0nversati0n has inspired me th0.....

I think that I will head t0 the amish market and get s0me bleu cheese then st0p by the butcher sh0p and get s0me nice sirl0in t0 g0 with it.

yeah, yeah, I kn0w.....

but even sirl0in is a bit pricey at the butcher sh0p....

grass fed th0....., and tasty!

I 0nly get tenderl0in fr0m bambi these days, and my s0n has been t00 busy t0 kill any tender y0ung deer this year...

I am trading my buddy a flyr0d f0r a c0uple 0f rabbits!!!

he has 0ne in the freezer already and h0pefully will slay an0ther very s00n

I haven t had wild rabbit in years.

I will fry 0ne, after b0iling, and I will make a peppery stew with the 0ther.

I d0n t kn0w h0w t0 spell hausenpfeiffer 0r I w0uld make that instead 0f the stew.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

wesw wrote: I d0n t kn0w h0w t0 spell hausenpfeiffer 0r I w0uld make that instead 0f the stew.
Hasenpfeffer - you're pretty close to accuracy wes. Closer than usual, anyway.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here’s a recipe:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/25843 ... bbit-stew/

It IS rabbit stew, by the way - if Germanic origins, obviously.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Well they have it back at Kroger. I bought the smallest piece they have which was $6 for about 1.6 ounces. I do the shopping so I sneaked it into a part of the fridge where my wife won't find it.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Hmmmmm. I just ordered a little bit, to go with the grilled NY strip I’m going to be making for dinner tomorrow night.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

rubato

Post by rubato »

We make a lot of exceptional cheeses like Humboldr Fog chevre. Or the truffle chevre by the same makers.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I like Kraft American cheese food...

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

rubato wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:18 am
We make a lot of exceptional cheeses like Humboldr Fog chevre. Or the truffle chevre by the same makers.

yrs,
rubato
Agree there about Humboldt Fog . . . a favorite somewhere around 23 years ago. Never had the pleasure of the other one.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:03 am
I like Kraft American cheese food...
The stuff that comes out of MRE packages, or out of the squeeze tubes like the astronauts used to use, is considered 'food' too.

Just goes to prove that people can live on the damnedest stuff if they have to.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

I had a mate, who is currently working in Luxembourg, visit before Xmas. He knows I'm a cheese addict, so stopped off at a hypermarché and brought me some samples of Tomme des Pyrénées, Bleu d'Auvergne, Maroilles, Fourme de Montbrison, Rauchkäse (German,) and Tête de Moine (Swiss,) as well as other goodies.

Of them all the Tomme des Pyrénées hit the spot best.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”