Home decor/design question

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Burning Petard

Home decor/design question

Post by Burning Petard »

My wife likes to watch HGTV and DIY and some others with home renovations or remodeling that include complete interior re-make by a designer.

I have noticed a weird detail. (amazing what happens when one tries to stop thinking about USofA Politics.) Books are present now. A few years back I never saw any. B U T ! They are now displayed in a manner that I cannot figure out what they are trying to communicate. The books, be it a few stacked on an end table or a bookcase on both sides of a fireplace are carefully placed to hide the binding. The binding is away from the viewer. Sometimes the books seem to be covered with plain colored paper as a dust jacket. What is the point of having books that cannot be identified just by lookin at them? What is the message to others in the room? I know what a book is, see I even have some, but I don't care anything about what is in the books?

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Re: Home decor/design question

Post by BoSoxGal »

This is a standard design trick now - turn the books around so the various colors on the binding don’t disrupt the color palette of the room.

Just more proof that designers mostly aren’t devoted readers, IMNSHO. Devoted readers embrace the diverse color palette of a wide ranging personal library.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote: Just more proof that designers mostly aren’t devoted readers,
So, if they don't crack a book, they don't really get the open concept? 8-)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Good one! :ok :lol:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan