Kobe Bryant

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Joe Guy

Re: Kobe Bryant

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR wrote:That Head and Shoulders joke was recycled from the same about Vic Morrow (remember Combat?) when he died in a helicopter crash (OK, it crashed on him, he wasn't in it).
I was wondering if someone would come along and point that out. A helicopter crashed and decapitated him when he was filming a Twilight Zone movie. The "joke" made more sense in his case.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I've got no dog in this fight (pittie or otherwise), and I'm sad about the girls, and the families, and I believe women, so not a Kobe fan -- but I will give him credit for the statement he made at some point during the course of the civil suit/rape case where he apologized. Not many do that. It also seems he kept his hands to himself thereafter. Also not something always achieved (see, e.g., Harvey Weinstein, and scores of others).
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I wonder how long the public mourning of Kobe Bryant is going to last? Still lots of articles and fellow celebrities doing the public grieving displays.

I distinctly recall being sad that a mass shooting (the LGBTQ nightclub in Florida?) or maybe it was the Charlottesville Nazi march? crowded the death of Muhammad Ali from the news - and that was a man of unquestionably great character who not only did great things in sport, but did greater things in standing up for social justice.

If the news is still choked with ‘Kobe’s last trip to Disneyland’ next week I’m gonna be irate.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:If the news is still choked with ‘Kobe’s last trip to Disneyland’ next week I’m gonna be irate.
As opposed to your current state of nirvana...

rubato

Post by rubato »

Nothing Kobe was accused of is as bad as Collins voting for Kavanaugh.

Nothing

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

rubato wrote:Nothing Kobe was accused of is as bad as Collins voting for Kavanaugh.

Nothing

yrs,
rubato
Oh FFS, Rube. I share your disdain for Collins and loathing for Kavanaugh; but don't tell us that rape, which is what Bryant was accused of - and your comparison does not require a guilty verdict - is better than a vote in the Senate which, however wrong, may have been made because she genuinely believed it to be in the interests of her constituents.

Gob

Post by Gob »

ex-khobar Andy wrote: Oh FFS, Rube. I share your disdain for Collins and loathing for Kavanaugh; but don't tell us that rape, which is what Bryant was accused of - and your comparison does not require a guilty verdict - is better than a vote in the Senate which, however wrong, may have been made because she genuinely believed it to be in the interests of her constituents.
Welcome too Rubatoworld.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That’s an idiotic statement which totally disrespects survivors of sexual assault. Maybe you need to be raped from behind while being held by the neck bent over a chair by someone a foot taller and 100+ lbs heavier whose sex organ tears up your anus all while telling you you’d better not tell anyone - then you can report back on how traumatized you are. And report back 10, 20, 30 years later on how it has impacted your ability to feel safe in your life and in interpersonal relationships. And what it’s done to your self esteem - especially after being vilified by your rapist’s legal team and millions of cult followers in the news media for a year.

It’s fucking apples and oranges and you, as usual, are a clueless and callous asshole.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

It’s more like apples and grapefruit.

“Men” like you Rube, are why women don’t report rape and abuse in the first place. You’re every bit as awful as the rapists and abusers themselves.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

While there are some comparisons that could be drawn between Bryant and Kavenaugh bringing in Collins to the mix is mystifying.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

BoSoxGal wrote:If the news is still choked with ‘Kobe’s last trip to Disneyland’ next week I’m gonna be irate.
I agree.
And he probably double parked the helicopter when he went there.

Check out these charter prices around LA. They are not for a HUGE chopper like the Sikorsky either. https://orbicair.com/c-259806-helicopte ... geles.html

I suppose being rich would be nice, until it killed you.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I know it sounds like after the fact sour grapes (he was rich and I'm not) but two young teenage girls were purposely deprived of what to me was always the very best thing about playing on a team: going on the team bus to the game. Even coming back from a loss was a chance to bond. I was on various track and field and chess teams for most of my 13 to 17 years - the chess team was usually only six boards so we arranged games to coincide with the cricket and football (soccer) away games to save money on transport. I can't imagine what it's like to be on a team where most of the players arrive on the bus while one or two get there in a helicopter.

Yes it's probably bad taste but is that how school sports is these days?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

It wasn’t a high school game, where transport is typically provided. They were traveling to a tournament at Kobe’s sports academy for club games. Club level at that age is typically for the kids who are extra driven or skilled, and play on these private teams in addition to their high school teams. In my experience (lots of baseball and some bball) no transport is provided. It is up to the families to get the kids to the games or tournament.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Guin--That was my experience with gymnastics as well, at least when travel was fairly local like less than 5 hours by car)--it changed when they had to fly (on planes, not in helicopters) to meets.

And as for how long this public mourning is going to last--how long did it last for Michael Jackson? It seemed like forever.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crazy that two rapists get such an outpouring of adulation and someone like Muhammad Ali got barely a blip in the news cycle.

It’s a mad world.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Joe Guy wrote:They found his head & shoulders near the wreckage.
That's in really poor taste but you have not set a new record. Keep trying.
Can I play?

The NTSB has announced the cause of the crash.  The thirteen-year-old was starting to feel chilly so Kobe asked the pilot if he would turn off that big overhead fan.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Gee whiz... You'd think the pilot would know better. The fan needs to be running to keep the engine cool.