It's My Culture!

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Long Run

Re: It's My Culture!

Post by Long Run »

I think that is a permanent situation.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:He chose to be a celebrity instead of standing by his principal.
Like $20K will last more than a few weeks in college.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I know. And I'd think someone with Ellen's money could be much more degenerous.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:I know. And I'd think someone with Ellen's money could be much more degenerous.
Oprah would have given him a car to owe taxes on at least.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I wish somebody would have given me $20,000 for being disruptive when I was in high school. I'd be rich now and a highly educated successful person instead of being an old white misogynistic racist male with absolutely no understanding of the difficulties our deprived victimized youth face every day.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So simply being present at school with long hair is "disruptive"? Did it cause a riot, or what?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

DeAndre's hair got enough attention to get him on the Ellen DeGeneres show and had some parents accusing school officials of racism. There has been no riot reported to date.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:DeAndre's hair got enough attention to get him on the Ellen DeGeneres show and had some parents accusing school officials of racism. There has been no riot reported to date.
Are you simply jealous of any male who has hair?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Not yet. Although dreadlocks aren't a good look for me.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Joe Guy wrote:DeAndre's hair got enough attention to get him on the Ellen DeGeneres show and had some parents accusing school officials of racism. There has been no riot reported to date.
His hair wouldn't have come to anyone's attention if the barbed stick up the ass of the school administration hadn't chosen to pretend that it's still the 1950s.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Scooter wrote:His hair wouldn't have come to anyone's attention if the barbed stick up the ass of the school administration hadn't chosen to pretend that it's still the 1950s.
Or he could have waited a little while until he graduated to grow his hair longer. The attention caused will no doubt cause the rule to be eliminated and teenagers at that school will be allowed to grow their hair to their feet. It will be a giant leap for hair-kind and a victory against the evil school administrators who tried to instill discipline to all of those abused student victims.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

At what point did his hair go from it's ok to it's too long? Was he showing up for some kind of daily measuring?

I have a feeling, not that it should matter but knowing how things go, that there was something else going on and this is what they decided to "get him" with.

I have had long hair for years. really long hair, down to mid bottom. It is a huge pain, but my husband loves it so I have kept it long. It has killed a the vacuum cleaner a few times and my husband had to perform surgery on the roller bar to revive it. It clogs the shower drain and we have found it in and around everything. I would love to be able to keep it in dreads but it is too fine for that.

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

I went to a Catholic High School, so we had a dress code far more strict than the local Public schools. The school dean would routinely make girls kneel to ensure their skirts were the proper length (rule was, the hem had to be within 2" of the floor when kneeling). The dean was a woman, BTW - an ex nun, I believe. We had more ex nuns than actual nuns.

Boys hair was not allowed to touch our collars, so I 1) never wore collared shirts and 2) my hair curled up at the back naturally so I basically had a mullet for 3 1/2 years of HS. I did get dinged for over length hair once, because it had rained and it straightened out. Once I joined the Navy in January of my Senior year I had it cut military style and it didn't matter.

But one of my classmates got away with a good one. He always wore a heavy winter coat. All year. He even wore than damn coat in his senior photos. Graduation rolled around, diplomas were issued, and upon leaving the stage he pulled his waist-length, braided hair out of the back of his graduation gown. He'd been growing it out since before High School and NO ONE ever caught on. No, he didn't get in trouble.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:I have had long hair for years.
Really? How tall would you be with a Marge Simpson hair style?

More than 7 feet?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I could never afford that much hair spray.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Joe Guy wrote:He chose to be a celebrity instead of standing by his principal.
Nice one Joe. My complements.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:Spoken like a product of the capitalist machine.

Yes part of becoming an adult is learning to follow rules; but also even more important is learning to question authority and to challenge unjust rules/laws, using critical thinking skills and while behaving maturely. If we don’t have at least some of that kind of people, we end up with drones who follow the likes of Hitler over a cliff.
We've already got them.  They're the ones who put Trump in the White House and his lackeys in the Senate.
And I dare say more than a few of them — ("Whaddaya mean I can't call a coon a nigger?"  "Whaddaya mean I can't have me a tommy gun iffen I want one?"  "Whaddaya mean I can't just throw my trash into the gully out back no more?") — look at themselves as the ones who are "challenging unjust rules and laws".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

rubato

Post by rubato »

As someone who has had long hair since 9th grade only pussy bitches allow themselves to be governed by arbitrary and stupid rules. If you can't stand up to bullshit tyyrany at 16 you will be saying Yas Bahss to fucking Nazis at 25. Only slavish authority addicts kiss ass to that.

We're Americans goddamn it! Not British slaves.

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

We're Americans goddamn it! Not British slaves.
Can't argue with than, but I always thought Britons, never, never, never shall be slaves. then again, Britannia may not rule the waves anymore...

I went to a school a lot like Datsun's, except it was a public school. I recall the kneeling test for the length of skirts/dresses (girls couldn't wear pants or shorts) and the collar length being the limit of boys' hair length (and we had to wear collar shirts). We all rebelled, usually flipping our hair up If I recall, some girls used to hem their skirts by a loose stitch that could be released if they were questioned). For the most part the teachers and the administration really didn't care (hell, this was the 60s and many of them were dodging the draft by taking public jobs), but there were some jerks, and some of them were on the receiving end of untraceable retribution (I plead the 5th on that).

That being said, we did have a student smoking lounge (actually an outside area which could be utilized if you had parental permission, could forge a parent's signature well, or were over 18) so we weren't that repressed (imagine a student smoking or vaping area now). We also could drink at 18 (at least in NY)--later everywhere (for one brief shining moment before the temperance nazis took over). The dress codes pale in comparison to these.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:If I recall, some girls used to hem their skirts by a loose stitch that could be released if they were questioned.
I too am the product of a Catholic education throughout grade school and two years of high school. The high school did have a dress code that required the boys to wear trousers — not jeans, and khakis weren't a thing yet — with a belt, a collared shirt which had to be kept tucked in, and their hair could not touch the collar.  Girls had to wear white blouses with navy-blue sweaters and navy-blue pleated skirts of a certain style and length — and certain nuns there like Sister Immaculata (and yes, that was the name she chose/was given when she took her vows!) definitely did the 'kneeling test' for length.  It was not uncommon for girls to roll the waistband once or twice to shorten the skirt when they thought they could get away with it; the advantage was that this could be quickly reversed if necessary.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?