I can't believe it's not. . .

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: I can't believe it's not. . .

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:54 am
Am I too young to get the joke? :shrug
Apparently you are; either that or you never watched the original "Star Wars" trilogy.  That's Billy Dee Williams, who played a character named Lando Calrissian in the second film, "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back".  Note also how the person who Photoshopped the butter package pushed the 'O' in "Land O Lakes" over to the left, making it read 'LandO'.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Gob - I have never seen a Welsh rarebit recipe with egg yolks. Seems odd to me, but you’re the Welshman.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:34 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:54 am
Am I too young to get the joke? :shrug
Apparently you are; either that or you never watched the original "Star Wars" trilogy.  That's Billy Dee Williams, who played a character named Lando Calrissian in the second film, "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back".  Note also how the person who Photoshopped the butter package pushed the 'O' in "Land O Lakes" over to the left, making it read 'LandO'.
-"BB"-
Oh okay, thanks - I’ve seen all the Star Wars movies multiple times but that detail has long since escaped the ‘important stuff to remember’ section of my noggin.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:38 am
Gob - I have never seen a Welsh rarebit recipe with egg yolks. Seems odd to me, but you’re the Welshman.

They are optional, but make for a more rich and unctuous experience.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Let's agree. It's Welsh Rabbit. Named by the English to indicate that the Taffies couldn't even catch the cheapest (free) meat available and could only heap beer and cheese on burned bread

Doesn't get a good name such as.... Ploughman's lunch*, innit?

*these days, "deconstructed Welsh Rabbit"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Deconstructed Welsh rarebit?

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:19 am
Let's agree. It's Welsh Rabbit. Named by the English to indicate that the Taffies couldn't even catch the cheapest (free) meat available and could only heap beer and cheese on burned bread

Doesn't get a good name such as.... Ploughman's lunch*, innit?

*these days, "deconstructed Welsh Rabbit"
Wiki has a really good entry on rabbit/rarebit. Thought you might appreciate this:
Rarebit Edit
The word rarebit is a corruption of rabbit, "Welsh rabbit" being first recorded in 1725 and the variant "Welsh rarebit" being first recorded in 1785 by Francis Grose. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, 'Welsh rarebit' is an "etymologizing alteration. There is no evidence of the independent use of rarebit". The word rarebit has no other use than in Welsh rabbit.[4][20]

"Eighteenth-century English cookbooks reveal that it was then considered to be a luscious supper or tavern dish, based on the fine cheddar-type cheeses and the wheat bread [...] . Surprisingly, it seems there was not only a Welsh Rabbit, but also an English Rabbit, an Irish and a Scotch Rabbit, but nary a rarebit."[21]

The entry in Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage is "Welsh rabbit, Welsh rarebit" and states: "When Francis Grose defined Welsh rabbit in A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue in 1785, he mistakenly indicated that rabbit was a corruption of rarebit. It is not certain that this erroneous idea originated with Grose...."[22]

In his 1926 edition of the Dictionary of Modern English Usage (Fowler's style guide) grammarian H. W. Fowler opines: "Welsh Rabbit is amusing and right. Welsh Rarebit is stupid and wrong."[23]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_rarebit
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Gob wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:00 am
Guinevere wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:38 am

They are optional, but make for a more rich and unctuous experience.
And may possibly be the original form. Also from the wiki link I posted above:
Origin

The first recorded reference to the dish was "Welsh rabbit" in 1725, but the origin of the term is unknown.[4]

There is some suggestion that it derives from a South Wales Valleys staple, in which a generous lump of cheese is placed into a mixture of beaten eggs and milk, seasoned with salt and pepper, and baked in the oven until the egg mixture has firmed and the cheese has melted. Onion may be added and the mixture would be eaten with bread and butter and occasionally with the vinegar from pickled beetroot.[16][17]

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Guinevere wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:53 am
Thought you might appreciate this:
"Welsh Rabbit is amusing and right. Welsh Rarebit is stupid and wrong."[/b][23]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_rarebit
I did indeed! Thanks! :)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

I can't believe it's not. . .

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:58 am
I think it’s just lovely:

I never knew they were a farmers’ cooperative, that’s pretty cool!

I appreciate them not putting a happy cow picture on the packaging too, because there’s a whole lot of cruelty in dairy farming, even done as humanely as possible.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Funny yet not funny yet funny. This is dark humor, no?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Yep.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God