I can't believe it's not. . .

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Land O’Lakes is removing the Native American woman who has appeared on its containers of butter and margarine since 1928. Instead, future packages will showcase photos of real Land O’Lakes farmers and co-op members, along with the phrase “Proud to be Farmer-Owned,” according to a company release.

The Grand Forks Tribune noted that many Native people, including North Dakota state Rep. Ruth Buffalo (D), have called the woman’s image racist. Buffalo told the paper the image goes “hand-in-hand with human and sex trafficking of our women and girls.… by depicting Native women as sex objects.”

Who on earth would say that depicts anyone as a sex object?

(Marlon Brando and Maria Schnieder excepted)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Re: I can't believe it's not. . .

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sounds like the brand has decided on a welcome packaging change that pleases those among a race of people long exploited, while also giving proper credit to the actual producers of the product instead of using images that really have nothing to do with dairy.

So nothing really to make a big production about. But to pretend that Native American women haven’t been exploited as sex objects for generations is more than disingenuous; they are still going missing and being murdered by the dozens here and in Canada because they are seen as sex objects to be exploited and thrown away.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

But to pretend that Native American women haven’t been exploited as sex objects for generations is more than disingenuous
Who's pretending any such thing?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Cultural appropriation; go read about it.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I thought you were referring to me. But... in general, how does "cultural appropriation" = the lady on the butter package is depicted as a sex object?

What is sexy about that image?

(Oh for G's sake please don't let someone come up with the Land O'Lakes knee trick)

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You already did
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:15 pm
... What is sexy about that image?

(Oh for G's sake please don't let someone come up with the Land O'Lakes knee trick)
Sorry, but better me than someone well respected on this board.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I think we need Alice from 'The Vicar of Dibley' here:

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Why can't we just all get along....

Gob

Post by Gob »

It's a woman, not a fat ugly one, so it must be sexist.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I remember the old "I can't believe It's Not Butter " ad campaign..

After tasting this candle wax, I said that a far more honest name for the product would be, "I Can't Believe Anyone Could Be Stupid Enough To Believe That This Shit Actually Tastes Like Butter"...
ImageImageImage

rubato

Post by rubato »

the Mag Genl has some fucking wierd sexual problems.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Lord Jim wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:39 am
I remember the old "I can't believe It's Not Butter " ad campaign... After tasting this candle wax, I said that a far more honest name for the product would be, "I Can't Believe Anyone Could Be Stupid Enough To Believe That This Shit Actually Tastes Like Butter"...
I agree LJ, it was like downing a shot glass full of SAE 50 motor oil.

YUK!!!
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Cultural appropriation. How horrible. We must end it now. How do I post here without using the Roman alphabet?

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

لا تفعل

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

متفاخر

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

— or as they're called these days, emojis.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Lord Jim wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:39 am
I remember the old "I can't believe It's Not Butter " ad campaign..

After tasting this candle wax, I said that a far more honest name for the product would be, "I Can't Believe Anyone Could Be Stupid Enough To Believe That This Shit Actually Tastes Like Butter"...
Chiffon, "if you think it's butter, but it's not, it's Chiffon". Equally delusional.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Parkay tubs that croaked "butter".
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

liberty

Post by liberty »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:06 pm
Cultural appropriation; go read about it.
I agree it is cultural misappropriation the Amerindians never had any kind of cheese or butter. The company should give credit where credit is due. Instead of Indians displayed on the cover, they should show romantic depictions blond blue-eyed steppe warriors riding their horses and driving their herds of cattle across the endless grasslands of Eurasia.

Better still you all should pay me every time you buy milk, butter, and cheese. It was my people who invented these foods.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.