Are you a 'body parts' doner?

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

My spousal unit and I have both been carrying the cards that says we are 'donors' before that was part of the Driver's License and now it is on that id card.

What does it really mean? Now we have just filled out the 'Advance Directive' that says in advance what we want in various medical circumstances if we are unable to express our consent at that time. One part is about donating parts or the entire body to transplants or scientific research. It must specify to what organization or physician we are giving it and that they have agreed to accept it.

If that is necessary, what does 'donor' mean on our driver's license? Any body out there have actual knowledge in how this all works?

snailgate

Scooter

Re: Are you a 'body parts' doner?

Post by Scooter »

In almost any jurisdiction, none of it means anything unless your next of kin agrees with it at the time, so your best bet is to get that person on board with your wishes now.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

My advance directive is that I'm a body donor.

My daughter is next-of-kin, and has Power of Attorney. I hope she does the right thing -- hopefully only after a verified TOD is called.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:14 pm
In almost any jurisdiction, none of it means anything unless your next of kin agrees with it at the time, so your best bet is to get that person on board with your wishes now.
Sadly, that is true in many jurisdictions, and hospitals will even defer to the next of kin even where the directive should be followed under the law. One thing you may want to consider is to appoint a medical proxy whose directives should (but will not always) predominate; just make sure this person understands your wishes and agrees to follow them. the sad thing is that is becomes tougher to find such a proxy as you get older (and friends/acquaintances pass on); I have no problem with trusting my wife to carry out my wishes (nor she, for me to carry out her wishes), but I'm nt sure I'dwant to saddle my children with the burden of living up to my advance directive and pulling the plug, stopping nutrition, etc.; it's tough to say that even if they know it's what you want.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I've been signing the donor statement on my driver's license since I can't remember when.  And when I got my new license a couple months ago, I signed it as well.
But at 65 years of age and with all the ordinary wear-and-tear my body has been through, I wonder if I've still got anything left that anybody else would want?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Historically there was a presumption against older donors, but recent research (in the last few decades) has shown that older organs from otherwise healthy persons (the organ can’t have disease that caused death) do quite well when transplanted into substantially younger recipients. One of the oldest American donors was a 92-year-old who donated his liver to a 69-year-old recipient after he died of brain hemorrhage. There is now a concerted push to recruit older organ donors as the need is always substantial and it is a largely untapped resource.

Think you’re too old to be an organ donor? Think again
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:26 am
But at 65 years of age and with all the ordinary wear-and-tear my body has been through, I wonder if I've still got anything left that anybody else would want?
You must have an organ that you haven't used very much. At least not in the way you'd like to have used it. Of course, I have no idea what that might be....

RayThom

Are you a 'body parts' donor?

Post by RayThom »

Full body donors are almost always welcome, especially if you have years old chronic illness. Pathologists and medical students alike learn best from bodies with specific conditions and diseases.

When they're done slicing and dicing the remains are cremated -- and "poof" -- all you are is a memory. No future soil contamination to worry about. Best of all donating to science cost your survivors nothing -- it's absolutely free.

Call your favorite hospital for details.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:00 am
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:26 am
You must have an organ that you haven't used very much. At least not in the way you'd like to have used it. Of course, I have no idea what that might be....
You're right, but there hasn't been much success in transplanting that particular organ to other people.
Like when they tried it with you.  Your hand rejected it.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?