Ok, American cooks

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

Ok, American cooks

Post by Gob »

WTF is a broiler?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Ok, American cooks

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

(a) a person who broils
(b) a person from Brooklyn who gets into too many fights
(c) any member of the former Cleveland Browns who beats any member of the team formerly found in Houston
(d) A broiler is any chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus) that is bred and raised specifically for meat production.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:56 am
(a) a person who broils
(c) any member of the former Cleveland Browns who beats any member of the team formerly found in Houston
(d) A broiler is any chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus) that is bred and raised specifically for meat production.
Or, the heating element at the top of an oven, used to brown the top of certain items, such as welsh rarebit.
Last edited by Guinevere on Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

So a grill then?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Not a grill. A grill heats from below. And is typically and free-standing device, used outdoors, fired by charcoal or propane. A BBQ in aussi-speak.

One bbqs on a grill.
Last edited by Guinevere on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Gob

Post by Gob »

Thanks Guin!
Grilling is a form of cooking that involves dry heat applied to the surface of food, commonly from above, below or from the side. Grilling usually involves a significant amount of direct, radiant heat, and tends to be used for cooking meat and vegetables quickly. Food to be grilled is cooked on a grill (an open wire grid such as a gridiron with a heat source above or below), using a cast iron/frying pan, or a grill pan (similar to a frying pan, but with raised ridges to mimic the wires of an open grill).

Heat transfer to the food when using a grill is primarily through thermal radiation. Heat transfer when using a grill pan or griddle is by direct conduction. In the United States, when the heat source for grilling comes from above, grilling is called broiling. In this case, the pan that holds the food is called a broiler pan, and heat transfer is through thermal radiation.

In the United Kingdom, Commonwealth countries, and Ireland, grilling generally refers to cooking food directly under a source of direct, dry heat. The "grill" is usually a separate part of an oven where the food is inserted just under the element. This practice is referred to as "broiling" in North America

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

One of those words that defines the difference caused by the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

As others have pointed out, grill is used in the US to mean a BBQ setup which applies heat from below. In the UK it means the thing in the cooker which applies heat from above as in grilled cheese. We had a discussion on the grilled cheese sandwich a few days ago which (a) isn't a sandwich and (b) here is broiled and not grilled.

Broiler is also, as Meade explained, a chicken prepared for food. It's a little more complicated than that: it's a size designation.
Get to Know Your Chickens

Broilers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old and weighing about 2 1/2 pounds
Fryers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old and weighing 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds
Roasters: Chickens less than 8 months old and weighing 3 1/2 to 5 pounds
Stewing Chickens: Chickens (usually hens) over 10 months old and weighing 5 to 7 pounds
Capons: Castrated males that weigh 6 to 8 pounds
Cock/Rooster: Male chickens over 10 months old weighing 6 to 8 pounds
My daily mansplaining. Sorry about that.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Don't get me started on griddles!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Well technically many Americans make their ‘grilled’ cheese sandwich in a fry pan - browning the buttery outsides while the cheese melts inside. Melted cheese sandwich? Cheese meltie?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:08 pm
Don't get me started on griddles!
I think you started yourself.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

No, that was mum and dad's fault

dales

Post by dales »

Many have said a broiler will kill COVID-19.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:01 pm
Well technically many Americans make their ‘grilled’ cheese sandwich in a fry pan - browning the buttery outsides while the cheese melts inside. Melted cheese sandwich? Cheese meltie?
That's a croque.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:05 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:01 pm
That's a croque.
The recipes I’m pulling up for croque direct to bake the slices of bread to toast them initially, then after assembly to broil the sandwich. :shrug

I guess ‘grilling’ a cheese sandwich in a fry pan is just one of those peculiarities - it’s clearly actually a fried cheese sandwich.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Ok, American cooks

Post by RayThom »

I've always called it a griddled cheese sandwich. Very few people I know call it that.

BTW -- I prefer jalapeno jack cheese on sourdough bread.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sourdough makes for a wonderful grilled cheese sandwich; I’ve been making it a mission to try all different kinds of cheeses as I explore one of the simplest yet most scrumptious foods ever created - gruyere is a favorite.

And of course it’s always better paired with a great tomato soup - I make a cream of tomato soup from a simple recipe I got from 4Bs restaurants out West, it’s sublime.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

Broilers are also known as fryers, not to be confused with cassocked clergy.

yrs,
rubato

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Guinevere wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:58 am
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:56 am
(a) a person who broils
Or, the heating element at the top of an oven, used to brown the top of certain items, such as welsh rarebit.
Not always at the top...many have the broiler UNDER the oven.