Bike Ass

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
RayThom

Bike Ass

Post by RayThom »

Here ya' go Bicycle Bill. Just the right seat to address your derriere pain. Now, if there was only something to alleviate your diabetic foot pain, you'd be 'Lancing' it once again. One thing at a time, 'eh?

Live strong!

5 bike saddles that take a "no buts" approach to comfort
https://newatlas.com/bicycles/bike-sadd ... 5-91105617
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Bike Ass

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Thanks for the thoughts, Ray, but I do not consider myself to be a casual, recreational rider, which is the target market for most if not all of these new saddle designs.  Contradictory as it may seem, the harder and more rigid the saddle, the better it is for hard-core cycling.  Let me explain.

In order to propel a bicycle, several factors must be overcome, including inertia, drag (wind resistance), weight, and friction.  The more effort one can deliver to the pedals, the more power there is to overcome these factors.  A healthy human can produce about 1.2 hp (0.89 kW) briefly (see orders of magnitude) and sustain about 0.1 hp (0.075 kW) indefinitely; trained athletes can manage up to about 2.5 hp (1.9 kW) briefly and 0.35 hp (0.26 kW) for a period of several hours. That's it; that's all you've got to get that bike from a standing start to easing on down the road, over hill and dale.  So you obviously want to use it as efficiently as possible.

Another thing to consider is that a soft, spongy, cushy saddle absorbs a small amount of this energy in compressing that padding.  Sure it ain't much, but when you've only got 1/10th of a horsepower to start with, you don't have that much to waste.  So at some point in their career, every serious cyclist has sought out their own point on that fine line between comfort and efficiency — some go with rock-hard saddles (and anyone who has every ridden a brand-new Brooks B17 saddle knows exactly what I mean!) while others go with more springy, spongy saddles and accept the sacrificing of some power in the name of comfort.

Then of course there's the problem of weight.  The more spring, padding, and other gee-gaws there are, the more the saddle will end up weighing — and what's pushing all that weight down the road?  That little 1/10th of a horsepower human, that's what.  That's why, if you compare the saddles used by riders like Eddy Merckx, Fausto Coppi, or even Greg Lemond to the saddles today's riders are using on the Tour de France, for example, you'll see that the saddles the modern riders use are the epitome of minimalism.

And humans are nothing if not adaptable, and can become used to practically anything.  People who work with their hands, for example, accept the pain until callouses form — which is the body's way of adapting.  Shake hands with a career carpenter, for example, or check the fingertips of a long-time guitar player and you'll see what I mean.  Going back to the example of the Brooks saddle, after a period of time (which varies from one rider to another), it becomes 'broken in' to the rider — or the rider becomes broken in to it, take your pick — and the two become one efficient unit.  In fact, it is not at all unheard of for a rider to switch saddles when buying a new bike, 'transplanting' the old, familiar saddle to his or her new ride.

So again, thanks for the heads-up, but I've found my soulmate of a saddle, and I doubt that I'll be trying any of these items at any time in the future.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Re: Bike Ass

Post by Burning Petard »

Campy even sell a special wrench for lighting the tension in that B17. I find about 3x year with Proofhide and once a year tighting up that adjusting nut keeps mine just fine--been using the same Brooks since 1978. I tried several Specialized with some padding before I handed over the big bucks for the Brooks. Among other things, I have sat on it for more than a hundred Centuries. I think I paid $39.

snailgate

RayThom

Bike Ass

Post by RayThom »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:20 am
... B17... Brooks...

snailgate
That's the saddle I had on my custom frame Houdaille (I sold the "power cam crank" soon after receiving it.) I had my local bike mechanic replace it with a Shimano crankset, and I bought all other parts individually until the bike was whole.

Anyway, when I sold the bike around 23 years later I remember how nice this saddle (mine was black) held up after all that time -- it was in great shape except for a slight scuff at the left side rivet. Once I broke it in I found It to be the most comfortable seat I ever owned.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”