Elbow grease relief

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Long Run

Elbow grease relief

Post by Long Run »

Speaking of useful modern conveniences, our automatic dishwasher is getting plenty of use. With three people having all of their meals prepared and eaten here, we're filling and running it about once per day. Plenty of pots and pans to scrub on top of that.

Made cacio e pepe for the first time, not quite ready to beat Bobby Flay, but pretty good for an initial effort. Used fresh bocatini and this recipe as the starting point: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree ... pe-8640368

Guinevere

Re: Elbow grease relief

Post by Guinevere »

Yum! I’m so tired of dishes. I usually do a load a week, lately its been every few days
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I have so far made beef Wellington and a somewhat successful lobster thermidor recipe I found while watching Julia Child. (My plating needs a ton of work, I have no artistic bent, hubby is much better at that sort of thing) I also made her swordfish recipe and found it scrumptious. I am really really tired of dishes. Tonight I am keeping it simple, ham and beans and cornbread. This weekend may be dedicated to takeout.

I also bought a sewing machine and have made an effort to learn to sew. I don't think it is actually gonna happen though. I am much better at taking stitches out than putting them in.

RayThom

Elbow grease relief

Post by RayThom »

Long Run wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:27 pm
... Made cacio e pepe for the first time, not quite ready to beat Bobby Flay, but pretty good for an initial effort. Used fresh bocatini and this recipe as the starting point: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree ... pe-8640368
Cacio e pepe is easy to make and much better than making a meal of just plain spaghetti and meat sauce. However, when I make this dish I follow most of the above recipe but instead I use about 3/4 cups (+/-) of the pasta water and throw in a 6.5oz, can of undrained chopped clams. I also toss in a handful of dried sunflower kernels. Yes it sounds strange but I enjoy the slight crunch with each bite.

I rarely follow recipes exactly. Mostly I'm looking for the proper cooking times and temperatures needed for something similar I'm making, and then add ingredients I think might work as I go along. I'm rarely disappointed with my freestyle dishes.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

You say it is easy to make, but I found it quite the grind. 🤪

RayThom

Elbow grease relief

Post by RayThom »

Long Run wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:14 am
You say it is easy to make, but I found it quite the grind.
I don't mind the grind.

There are dozens of electric pepper grinders out there but as little as I use my OXO mill I can't justify the purpose, nor cost, of an electric one.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'm doing loads of baking, mainly bread in various forms, but also scones, scrolls and, inevitably, pasties.

Also buying fish fresh off the boats in the harbour, and learning how to fillet them.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Dishwasher machinery? You wimps! Mrs. Meade needs no such thing - my hands are practically prunes from years and years of washing the dishes. Why, I've done two loads by hand today already. I even wash my pots and pans while Margaretta is putting my completed plates of delicious food on the table. I put it down to early potty training. And my mother always believing in freedom of choice - "wash or dry" she'd say. I washed because that finished first
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:13 am
Dishwasher machinery? You wimps! * * * I put it down to early potty training.
Yes, and we all had to walk several miles to school, uphill both ways, in two feet of snow. Then we got cars, dishwashers and microwaves, and life got a bit better, if still a long way from perfect.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I did pick up some tasty early season cherries. So, while life may not be a bowl of cherries now, your life can include a bowl of cherries.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Long Run wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:10 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Dishwasher machinery? You wimps! * * * I put it down to early potty training.
Yes, and we all had to walk several miles to school, uphill both ways, in two feet of snow. Then we got cars, dishwashers and microwaves, and life got a bit better, if still a long way from perfect.
Man, I got tired carrying a couple of books in a satchel when I walked to school. You must have been exhausted before you got to show-and-tell. :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

rubato

Post by rubato »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Dishwasher machinery? You wimps! Mrs. Meade needs no such thing - my hands are practically prunes from years and years of washing the dishes. Why, I've done two loads by hand today already. I even wash my pots and pans while Margaretta is putting my completed plates of delicious food on the table. I put it down to early potty training. And my mother always believing in freedom of choice - "wash or dry" she'd say. I washed because that finished first
I'm sure your wife appreciates that principle. :D

yrs,
rubato