My new home

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

My new home

Post by Gob »

An historic island fortress has been put up for sale with a guide price of £6m.

Drake's Island in Devon includes a 16th Century barracks, a pier and an underground network of tunnels.

The six-acre site, which stands 600m off the coast at Plymouth, has planning permission for a luxury hotel and spa.

Aidan McCauley, the son of the island's owner, Dan McCauley, said: "My dad has long held a vision to see the island brought back into use.

"We are passionate about seeing his vision turned into a reality and are exploring all options to make this happen."

The island was named after Sir Francis Drake, who set sail from there in 1577 to circumnavigate the globe.

The fort played a crucial role in the defending the maritime city from French and Spanish invasions in the late 16th Century and has been used as a prison, a religious centre, a refuge and, most recently, an adventure training facility, which closed in 1989.

The island has remained untouched since then.

More here...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

RayThom

My new home

Post by RayThom »

A real fortress of solitude.

Is it COVID free?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

dales

Re: My new home

Post by dales »

Reminds me of Alcatraz in SF Bay.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Re: My new home

Post by Gob »

RayThom wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:08 pm
A real fortress of solitude.

Is it COVID free?
Would be if I could afford it!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”