I need a haircut

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
ex-khobar Andy

I need a haircut

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I usually get one every four or five months whether I need it or not. It's one of those chain places and they always give you a coupon for your next visit. Coupon expires after a month so I never use it. Last time I was there - February - I said to my *stylist "see you in August." She laughed - "I hope it's not that long!"

So has anyone had a hair cut since this all started? What precautions did they take? Did you feel safe? I don't think I've had it this long since the seventies.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: I need a haircut

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

I did my own with my beard trimmer. Going to invest in some decent clippers so as to do it a bit better next time.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I have gone twice since barbers and hair salons were allowed to re-open, five months after my last cut. At my place they have at most three stylists working at a time, with two empty chairs between each, and each of whom is wearing a mask and a face shield. There are two well spaced chairs in the waiting area. Anyone else must wait outside. All customers must be masked. They are forbidden to wash hair, use hair dryers, use razors, or apply hair products. They have sanitizer at the door to use when you enter and leave. All in all I think it's pretty safe.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Did they trim your horns while you were in? ;-)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I cut my bangs and about 6 inches off the length. It looks like my mother’s dead hand rose from her grave and did it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

There was a case in the south where two covid19 positive stylists served over 150 clients and didn’t infect any of them - both stylists and clients were masked at all times.

As a precaution you could ask the stylist not to talk unless necessary to ask about your hair. Zero talking means much less stuff coming out the sides of the mask in close proximity to you.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

My stylist, who I have been going to for over 20 years now, left her salon is doing hair in her basement. I’ve been once, no problems. Going back next month.

Ask your person if they will come to your house. Mine offers that option, too.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

It sounds like your state has a reasonable approach; my daughter has a cosmetologist license in NJ and recently received a general notince reminding cosmetologists that they could not could provide house calls or perform services in their own location (other than a licensed salon) unless the person serviced was incapable of traveling to a salon due to health problems (and concerns about contracting covid are apparently not a sufficient reason). All persons performing such services must maintain a listing of names of the client(s), dates serviced, and reasons for the service outside of a salon (e.g. person was in a wheel chair and could not travel). My guess is that it is unlikely any person would be investigated, but if they were and sufficient reason could not be shown, they risked having their licenses suspended or revoked.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:27 pm
my daughter has a cosmetologist license in NJ

I had to look "cosmetologist" up, is it a real thing? What is wrong with "beautician" or "hairdresser"?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know why the licenses use that name, but my guess is to make it unisex; a number of years ago they merged the barber and beautician (or maybe hairdresser) licenses into a single license, and I think that's when they changed the name.

FWIW, they also have an esthetician license for people who specialize in skin care, manicures, and makeup but have nothing to do with haircare (it requires about half the school hours as a cosmetologist license.
Last edited by Big RR on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Interesting, thanks!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I got a haircut in early April. My usual barber which is a chain outfit, with each barber as an individual contractor. I typically go once a month--close on the sides so my glasses are gipping skin, not hair. Just long enuf to comb on the top, neaten up the full beard a little.

Now, I had one legal haircut in August. The cuttee and the cuttor both wear masks and no work on a beard. The beard is a curly mess. Google Charles Darwin. I have no bald spot in front, but otherwise the typical Darwin pic would be just fine for a police id poster for me.

I could try trimming the beard myself, but it is interesting to see if it ever gets 'down to where it stops by itself' as the old song says.

snailgate.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My hair is approaching my post ROTC college length--about shoulder length on the sides, longer in the back; I have a pretty good pony tail now, longer than Jefferson's. :lol:

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

My barber of 22 years retired at the end of 2019. I got one of his last haircuts. The other old barber in town was replaced by a younger guy four years ago. When the state mandated that barber shops close due to covid-19, I got my first haircut from the "new" guy on the last day he could be open. Mrs Mc has always given me a little trim between professional haircuts, so I was able to wait until he could reopen for my next professional haircut. One chair. Seldom anyone waiting.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Homage to our NPR ancestry.
GAH!

rubato

Post by rubato »

When your hair gets to my length "now" and 6 months from "now" are basically the same.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

rubato wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:30 am
When your hair gets to my length "now" and 6 months from "now" are basically the same.

yrs,
rubato
Are you bald then?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Down to here
Down to there
Down to where
It stops by itself
Don't ever have to cut it
'Cuz it stops by itself
Yeah, it happens. 8-)
God @The Tweet of God