Bon Appetit!

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Guinevere

Re: Bon Appetit!

Post by Guinevere »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:32 am
Guinevere wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:00 pm
In my groceries today, I was able to get the larger thicker New York strip premium cut for the same price per pound as the smaller steaks. I’ll grill it tomorrow night, barely medium rare, eat one serving and then save the rest. Later in the week I’ll slice it as I need it, quickly warm up the slices in a pan, and put them over salad. Because the meat is cooked medium rare, and stored with any juices, it stays really lovely. I adore it warm over a good salad.
Through my Walden meats membership (highly recommend if you’re interested) I was introduced to skirt steak over the last couple of years. It’s a cut I’d never used before - relatively inexpensive, although not so much through the Walden meats because they charge the same per pound for all cuts because you’re paying for the premium of grass fed, pasture raised beef (or pork, lamb, chicken) from small farms in New England and New York that are certified humane through the ASPCA ‘shop with your heart’ program.

Anyway, the skirt steak is ridiculously easy to prepare and super flavorful, perfectly suited to pairing with salad. You might want to try it if you haven’t already. Same with Walden; they have a butcher shop in Boston if you want to try something from that site before trying a share. Here’s their website: https://waldenlocalmeat.com/
I love skirt- one of my favorite cuts! I marinate it in soy, lime, and ginger, and then grill it.

I’ll check out Walden. I used to get locally raised grass fed cow from my farmers market every Saturday, but I usually swim on Saturdays now, and haven’t been at all this year. Walden might make more sense.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Skirt steak is the correct cut for making traditional Cornish pasties.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Does anybody have suggestions for what to do with a pork belly? I got one in my last share and don't have a clue. Obviously I've searched recipes online, but those can be hit or miss so I'd love suggestions from the board chefs if any of you have any experience with this cut of pig.

Or, should I just use it in my baked beans? This is essentially the same as the salt pork I buy, correct?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I've cooked a couple. Jamie Oliver's recipe seems good to me. It is too easy to make the skin like the sole of an old boot rather than crispy crackling but if you can avoid that, it's a very unhealthy great treat yum! Fie on beans!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

I made naan bread yesterday for the first time. Worked well.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:26 pm
Does anybody have suggestions for what to do with a pork belly? I got one in my last share and don't have a clue. Obviously I've searched recipes online, but those can be hit or miss so I'd love suggestions from the board chefs if any of you have any experience with this cut of pig.

Or, should I just use it in my baked beans? This is essentially the same as the salt pork I buy, correct?
BSG: I'm not exactly an expert in anything pork, but the best and highest use I have seen for pork belly is as a meat base for okonomiyaki, which is surprisingly easy to make and exceedingly delicious.
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:51 pm

BSG: I'm not exactly an expert in anything pork,

I'm sorry, but that made me chuckle. Thank you!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Gob wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:13 am

Jeez, I'm just glad *somebody* around here is getting the jokes.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Take cpmfort--one day someone will breed/engineer a pig without a cloven hoof; in the meantime, maybe they can be taught to chew their cuds.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

There’s already an impossible pork that is vegan - but it was refused a kosher rating because it has ‘pork’ in the name.

How dumb is that?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:58 pm
Take cpmfort--one day someone will breed/engineer a pig without a cloven hoof; in the meantime, maybe they can be taught to chew their cuds.
More likely that one day someone will generate synthetic lab-grown pork. They've already made lab-grown chicken for no-slaughter nuggets.
BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:36 pm
There’s already an impossible pork that is vegan - but it was refused a kosher rating because it has ‘pork’ in the name.

How dumb is that?
I get it, the OU is protecting both its brand and the sensitivities of its constituents/consumers, but they are not the only -- let alone final -- arbiter of what's kosher. And what meets individual Jews' or Muslims' criteria for consumption is ultimately a personal decision. At some point I will use Impossible Pork to make won-tons or Vietnamese meatballs or whatever, and it will have a lot more to do with the fact that it's actually meatless than whether any particular vaad hakashrut approves.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BSG--this dumbness is in many areas. I once had a client which produced fermented products from fermenting genetically engineered bacteria. Key among their products were two commonly used preservatives for baked and frozen products; the manufacturers of these products were permitted to use the designation "all Natural" on their packages since the preservatives (literally the same chemicals as the commonly used ones) were obtained from "natural" sources (I guess meaning they were not produced chemically). Somehow I sincerely doubt that the purchaser of a loaf of "all natural" bread would have wanted the preservatives at all, and would even want something produced by genetic engineering even less. This may have changed as GMOs became better known to the public, but people paid a lot more for these products because they believed that they were "all natural."

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My grass fed certified humanely raised local meat share arrived today - and I got beef shanks! Time to make osso buco for just the second time.

Does anyone have a recipe they really love? I found one online last time, but am open to trying another.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:

I think you need to go about 1200 miles southwest to find someone who knows what to do with s pork belly.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:15 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:

I think you need to go about 1200 miles southwest to find someone who knows what to do with s pork belly.
I ended up using it in a double batch of my Boston baked beans - they are sublime! I have two containers in the freezer, yum yum!
~ Carl Sagan

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Gob wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:13 am
Sue U wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:51 pm

BSG: I'm not exactly an expert in anything pork,

Some of us goyim are a little slow.

When my stepfather had a heart attack at 60 in 1970, his doctor (Katz MD) told him to eat pork like a Jew. He asked if that meant he couldn't have any. Dr Katz said "No. Just do it in moderation". I think he followed the advice. For the next 21 years it was one of his favorite stories. He probably told it every time he had bacon, even with my mother.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m sad that I am this many years old and just discovered real Tupelo honey. If you like honey at all, you must try it before you die. It is liquid gold - sublime.

This is where I got mine: L.L. Lanier and Son's Tupelo Honey
Since 1898
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Pork Belly: Trim it. Separate the red stripes of raw pork meat from the white fat. Use the white fat chunks to cook down then chill and skim for real lard. This is an ideal fat for pie crusts and other pastries. Use the of meat just like bacon.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

No more pork belly for me! My doctor said so. Too much glorious saturated fat.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Does anyone have a super delicious (animal product free) recipe for beans and rice that they would share?

I have to have one for my recipe repertoire. Figured I’d try here before the interwebs.
~ Carl Sagan