Bon Appetit!

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Scooter

Re: Bon Appetit!

Post by Scooter »

Jamaican Rice & Peas

2 tbsp canola oil (or your preferred frying oil)
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp all spice powder
2 bay leaves, preferably fresh
1 scotch bonnet or habanero chili – any colour - keep whole (optional)
2 - 14oz cans red kidney beans, drained (can also use black beans)
1 - 14oz can coconut milk, full fat
1 cup water
1 tsp cooking salt
2 cups long grain white rice (can use basmati or jasmine rice)

Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F (180°C fan).

Sauté aromatics – Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium or large ovenproof pot. Cook garlic, onion, thyme, all spice, bay leaves, scotch bonnet until onion is translucent (about 3 minutes).

Add coconut milk, water, beans and salt. Once it comes to a simmer, add rice then give it a quick stir. Once you see bubbles breaking the surface, immediately cover then transfer to oven.

Bake for 40 minutes. All liquid should be absorbed (tilt to check) though you will have some coconut cream on the surface.

Rest – Leave the pot on the counter with the lid on for 15 minutes. Then fluff and serve.

If you want to start with dried beans, soak about 1 cup overnight, then cook for 30-40 min before draining and adding to recipe.

If you don't have a stove top pot that can be transferred to the oven, pour into a covered casserole dish or baking dish covered tightly with foil. Add 5 min to baking time to bring back up to temperature.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That sounds delish!

But, to keep to what’s already in my pantry, do you think it would be okay if I:

sub garam masala for allspice?

sub vegetable broth for coconut milk, maybe add more fat via evoo or even a little butter?

I am picking a few things up at the market tomorrow, so I could absolutely get coconut milk if it’s essential for best results.

but I do prefer to use the spices I have rather than buy more as the good quality ones aren’t cheap.

Also I’m a garlic fiend so will likely double or triple the cloves. And I love heat, so I’m thinking I throw two or three chilis in - or is that nuts? For my curries I go *very* hot.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Can obviously use whatever spices are to your taste. But I'm not sure how you substitute the coconut milk, what kind and how much of a different liquid, plus additional fat to compensate.

ETA - plus the recipe very specifically called for "full fat" coconut milk (which is why I included it here), so I'm thinking there must be something about it that is essential to the recipe.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m going to make it as directed, including I’ve ordered some allspice berries which I will grind in my grandmother’s hideously ugly mortar and pestle which I keep because it makes me think of her - even though she never used it once in her life, she was a low spice gal and the ones she used came straight from a jar.

She was a flea market addict though and I’m sure she picked up the mortar and pestle at one along the way. When she gave it to me, she asked what it was used for lol. I really miss her and believe it or not she was an excellent cook, within the limited confines of typical English cuisine. Once upon a time she was behind the roasted turkey dinners with all the sides (including her famous oyster stuffing) and pies that adorned the tables of some of the wealthiest people in our area, back when she and my grandfather had turkey farms in south coast Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I like to think I inherited my cooking genes from her.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan