Bon Appetit!

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
BoSoxGal

Re: Bon Appetit!

Post by BoSoxGal »

So after messing with various curry simmer sauces and then various curries made from scratch spice blends, I have now perfected a butter chicken recipe that I think it fabulous- spicier than it would normally be but I like a bite to everything!

I stopped on the way home from my covid19 vaccine booster and grabbed some chicken thighs, crushed tomatoes and cream. Tomorrow I will wed those ingredients to some onions I had at home and a lovely blend of spices + some yummy basmati rice for a lovely butter chicken curry that will feed me for a week.

I made some other curries that were yummy - from recipes I found online - and one that was coconut milk based was quite nice. But honestly I think I could eat my spicy butter chicken every week for a year and not get sick of it.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I'm making a Thai green curry tonight (chicken), although I'll start with a store-bought curry paste; this one is really pretty good:

Later in the week I'm planning a Kerala fish curry.

I think food (in the sense of "cuisine") may have been invented in South Asia. At any rate, they've got it worked out pretty well.
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Last night I did a dead simple chicken red curry "soup" - 4 bone in skin on chicken breasts in the instant pot for 25 minutes with a box of the best broth you can find. Add a teaspoons or so each of red curry paste, sriracha, fish sauce, and coconut aminos and let it rip.

After the pressure has released naturally, pull out the chicken, debone and deskin. Pull the chicken, add it back to the pot with some diced carrots, greens, whatever you want. Scoop into your bowl, add chopped fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of sea salt. Try not to inhale.

Tonight, salmon rubbed with garam masala and magic mushroom powder, sautéed in a teeny bit of coconut oil so the skin crisps, over spinach and sautéed mushrooms. That should take 10 minutes, or less.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:24 pm
Last night I did a dead simple chicken red curry "soup" - 4 bone in skin on chicken breasts in the instant pot for 25 minutes with a box of the best broth you can find. Add a teaspoons or so each of red curry paste, sriracha, fish sauce, and coconut aminos and let it rip.

After the pressure has released naturally, pull out the chicken, debone and deskin. Pull the chicken, add it back to the pot with some diced carrots, greens, whatever you want. Scoop into your bowl, add chopped fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of sea salt. Try not to inhale.

Tonight, salmon rubbed with garam masala and magic mushroom powder, sautéed in a teeny bit of coconut oil so the skin crisps, over spinach and sautéed mushrooms. That should take 10 minutes, or less.
I don't have an insta-pot but it sounds like I could do the same in a dutch oven. What are coconut aminos and what do they do?

Last night I baked a side of salmon with a thin coating of harissa sprinkled with sesame seeds. Served with couscous, steamed haricots vert and Israeli salad augmented with Bulgarian feta. (A Lebanese grocery and butcher shop has opened down the street so now I'm doing Middle Eastern on the regular, too.)
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Guin--I like the sound of magic mushroom powder; takes me back to my college days. :D

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 pm
Guin--I like the sound of magic mushroom powder; takes me back to my college days. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Its salty umami goodness - I learned about it from the Nom Nom Paleo lady, and she has a branded version but there are other options.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:57 pm
Guinevere wrote:

I don't have an insta-pot but it sounds like I could do the same in a dutch oven. What are coconut aminos and what do they do?

Last night I baked a side of salmon with a thin coating of harissa sprinkled with sesame seeds. Served with couscous, steamed haricots vert and Israeli salad augmented with Bulgarian feta. (A Lebanese grocery and butcher shop has opened down the street so now I'm doing Middle Eastern on the regular, too.)
Yes to the dutch oven. The iPot does all that cooking in 20 minutes. The best time saver ever for braises and stews.

Coconut aminos is a lighter slightly sweeter and gluten free version of soy sauce. I did an elimination diet and discovered I am gluten and lactose sensitive, it causes inflammation, reactivity (hives and allergies), and I am happier without (some exceptions allowed, on occasion). I’m also back on my eating plan, so I’m not eating either.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Is 'impossible pork" kosher?

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:50 am
Is 'impossible pork" kosher?

snailgate
Apparently not - it won’t be certified kosher, anyway, because it contains the word ‘pork.’ It is, however, kosher based on ingredients alone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jta.or ... kosher/amp
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:

Tonight, salmon rubbed with garam masala and magic mushroom powder,
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

76F1275C-F925-4260-A7D1-19076EE2BEFC.jpeg
76F1275C-F925-4260-A7D1-19076EE2BEFC.jpeg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 1597 times

Gob

Post by Gob »

Doesn't look half as much fun!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

All that effort to cook up curry and mushrooms is OK, I suppose,

but ...

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Guinevere wrote:
Last night I did a dead simple chicken red curry "soup" - 4 bone in skin on chicken breasts in the instant pot for 25 minutes with a box of the best broth you can find.
I'm glad the chicken was dead, but why do you want to start with bone in meat? Seems to me that if labor and time savings were part of the instant pot "thing" you would start with boneless chicken.

Mrs Mc insists on buying boneless chicken breasts for ALL recipes. (In reality I do most to the shopping because she hates it and I like it. Like the last vestige of the great hunt.) Her statement is "I didn't go to college for four years to have to bone another chicken". It goes back to what the kids used to call her "life was tough on the farm" stories. They used to buy chicks in large quantities and raise them for meat. They killed, plucked, gutted and froze them on the spot. I'm lucky she cooks.

I may have to look into buying an instant pot.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Meat cooked on the bone tastes better, and stays juicier. The breast meat falls right off the bones in this preparation, and you also get the wonderful collagen from the bones and connective tissue, which is good for your skin and your gut. My quart jar of broth is jellied when cold -- that's the good stuff. Store bought chicken broth doesn't do that on its own.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Hmmm...
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I now do my own provender purchases and cooking. My wife liked to use boneless skinless chicken breasts--most she said because there was no waste and she was just paying for the edible meat. I thought well seasoned cardboard probably tasted better and better mouth feel.

I have two boneless skinless chicken breasts in my freezer now. I will probably use them when I decide the other option is to throw them out.

I have two pint jars of chicken broth in my fridge now. I buy a cooked chicken at costco cut off some for use in various recipes that call for cooked chicken. I use some of it to make soup. I take what is left, fill the pot with water, some carrots, some onion, some celery and simmer tell it all falls off the bone, drain it through a sieve, cool it down and skim off the firm fat at the top. What is left become my home made chicken stock or broth. Yes, I do have to warm it up slightly and shake it to mix it together before I use it.

I like to buy chicken thighs with bone and skin when they are on sale. I break the package down with one each in a freezer bag, I can thaw one out in the bag in a dish pan of warm water in about an hour.

And on a related topic, I have been binge reading the detective novels of Robert B. Parker (died 2010) He wrote more than fifty; All in the greater Boston area. Some featuring a rule-breaking male detective with a series of dogs, all female, black, German Short-haired pointers, all with the name Pearl. His girl friend is a Psychiatrist. Each these contains at least one scene where Spencer is in the kitchen putting together some dish with things that just happen to be on hand and reads as if it would taste wonderful. The second character is a female detective named Sunny Randall with a series of miniature English bull dogs, all named Rosie. She never cooks, but is a patient of Spencer's girlfriend. The third is a confirmed drunk who is the police chief in a small town north of Boston. He was hired because he was a drunk and the corrupt city government thought they could control him. They couldn't . He (Jesse Stone) is very competent in a idiosyncratic way. Has no pets. Occasionally Stone and Randall sleep together. Stone and Spencer made it to network tv programs.

All three have been continued as a franchise by other writers. Strangely enough, the first Jesse Stone work after Parker's death had to give Stone a pet cat.

I write this all here because in one of the Sunny Randall books, written by Parker, is a scene that is a complete and delicious contrast with the kitchen scenes of Spencer. Sunny's sister is presenting her new boyfriend, a comparative lit professor, to Sunny and their mother. The mother prepares tuna/noodle casserole and tomato aspic. The professor describes his visit to Tuscany where he could watch the proprietor make the pasta from scratch and he asks Mom if she made this her self, all from scratch. She assures him she did. She always boils the noodles herself, and always uses frozen peas. Mom has no cork screw to open the obscure wine the prof. presented. Nobody tasted the tomato aspic.

One of the unexpected rewards of the pandemic voluntary lockdown.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

The casserole sounds fine, but I'd skip the tomato aspic as well. There may well be an aspic dish worthy of tasting, but after my childhood I gave up looking for it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Tuna noodle casserole is on the short list of foods I had to endure in childhood and have never gotten close to again since leaving home at 17 - SPAM is on the list as well.

I’m a fan of the 1980s Spenser for Hire with Robert Urich and the Jesse Stone TV movies with Tom Selleck. Can’t recall if I ever read any of the source novels, though.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:27 pm
Tuna noodle casserole is on the short list of foods I had to endure in childhood and have never gotten close to again since leaving home at 17
I had the same childhood experience with tuna casserole—and tuna salad—and it put me off tuna entirely for about 25 years. It wasn't until I visited Hawai'i and ordered "ahi" without realizing that it was tuna that I discovered that my unconditional hatred of tuna was not justified. I still avoid anything made with canned tuna, though.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God