Bon Appetit!

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Big RR

Re: Bon Appetit!

Post by Big RR »

And BSG, I agree with you about spam (and also can't stand canned corned beef). A good tuna casserole is nothing like Lunch Lady tuna casserole most of us had in our youths, but I understand your reluctance to try it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Econoline wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:28 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:27 pm
Tuna noodle casserole is on the short list of foods I had to endure in childhood and have never gotten close to again since leaving home at 17
I had the same childhood experience with tuna casserole—and tuna salad—and it put me off tuna entirely for about 25 years. It wasn't until I visited Hawai'i and ordered "ahi" without realizing that it was tuna that I discovered that my unconditional hatred of tuna was not justified. I still avoid anything made with canned tuna, though.
I really love tuna salad, especially the way I make it now dressed with lots of onion, celery and Old Bay seasoning - it’s just fantastic with the Old Bay and I’m very regretful that it took me almost 5 decades to discover that twist on tuna salad. I like to mix a can of albacore tuna with a can of light tuna, because the light is lower mercury and much more flavorful.

My aversion is to warm tuna, after years of being made to eat Tuna Helper with peas mixed in. I can’t even tolerate a tuna melt.

I think if I had the opportunity I wouldn’t mind a nice tuna steak properly prepared, because in general I really like fish. It’s just warm tuna fish mixed with cheesy noodles that turns my tummy a bit.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Oh God, I'd completely forgotten about tuna melts. :barf

I think I'm gonna go throw up now.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

You don't like SPAM?   Tuna casserole?   Good grief, next thing I know you're going to be dissing meatloaf and mashed potatoes!!

I didn't have the privilege of being able to be picky about my food likes and dislikes.   Liver and onions, sauerkraut and spare ribs, boiled dinner, broccoli, lima beans, even creamed chipped beef on toast — my mother would put it on our plates, and we'd put our feet under the table and we'd eat it.   As she used to say, "I'm your mother.  What — you think I'm out to poison you?"

Besides, if you didn't, it would show up a day or so later as left-overs..... :lol:   (waste not, want not!).

And there was one other thing in her recipes — something that no school lunch lady or Michelin three-star chef could ever include — that made them all go down with a minimum of muttering.   She never skimped when it came to adding 'love' to all her efforts.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

During our forced separation I haven't been cooking, other than the necessities. It's no fun to cook for one.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

You’ve been baking though, and some rather nice looking bakes at that!

I haven’t cooked much lately, but I am now, trying to shake loose 20 more by the holidays.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:12 am
It's no fun to cook for one.
I’ve never really understood that sentiment when I’ve heard it expressed. If you love eating good food, cooking it should be a pleasure whether just for yourself or for a houseful of guests. I used to enjoy cooking for a dinner party of friends, or for a significant other - but cooking for my own pleasure is especially enjoyable because I don’t have to be concerned for the quirks in taste of various guests or of intimate companions - or of young children, who can be particularly unadventurous when it comes to the palate.

My poor cousin dreads the daily grind of meal prep for her spouse and child, but that’s mostly because she has been required for over two decades to significantly limit her ingredients list because she married a man who has the palate of a child and then added another child to the mix - no onions! No spices! Etc. Oddly enough he devours my homemade baked beans which are full of onions and spices, as well as many other dishes I’ve prepared for them over the years that he has raved about, without knowing they were full of spices he would balk at if he’d seen them prepared. People’s food quirks can be very irrational and it’s often hard to get them past those. I feel badly for my cousin who has the choice to either prepare separate meals or eat bland food herself day in and day out for decades.

The only real issue about cooking for one that comes to mind is that of portioning, as I’m not terribly keen on downsizing complicated recipes to make just one serving. If I make a 2lb meatloaf I’d be eating it all week and that can get boring, but that’s what freezers are for - though meatloaf is one that the cousin's husband always wants to share, unknowing that it’s full of garlic and spices. And truth be told most of the larger meals I make are things I would happily eat for days in a row as I like them so much - like the butter chicken I ate all this week. Or the boiled dinner I’m thinking of making next week.

So yeah, while there are definitely nights I’m not keen to cook and choose to grab a takeaway or to eat tuna salad sandwiches or some such, I definitely enjoy treating myself to good cooking all on my own. It makes me sad when I hear people say that they don’t enjoy cooking for themselves, because that seems like a self care issue.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:42 am
You’ve been baking though, and some rather nice looking bakes at that!
Thank you! Baking's different though.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Is it because of the enjoyment in the process; that's exactly why I enjoy cooking (as much as or even more than eating). The only drawback I see in cooking for one is that some recipes cannot be condensed to making a single portion (and when I cook for myself I don't like to refrigerate and reheat the remainder--many times a lot of the flavor is lost). But experimenting with spices and techniques can be enjoyable as an end unto itself.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Reading through this thread I realize that neither I nor spouse has cooked anything more substantial than a few steaks or breakfast since I retired. We eat out way too much. I need to discuss this with him, it just isn't healthy.

I would hire anyone of you in this thread to be a personal chef were I to be able to afford it. Well not BSG, she would probably poison me. But the others, hell yeah.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Like everyone else, I guess, I grew up on "casseroles" of noodles, canned tuna, canned cream-of-mushroom soup and frozen peas. But unlike everyone else, apparently, I actually liked it and still do. I'll also put canned tuna into a salad (particularly variations on Nicoise salad) and will sometimes add it to sauteed onions in scrambled eggs for a high-protein breakfast after the gym.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

There are also casseroles that contain canned tuna and noodles that employ different (and tastier) sauces than condensed cream of mushroom soup. However, I do understand the comfort of childhood meals; my favorite is macaroni and cheese, although I substitute cheddar, or other blends of cheese, for the Velveeta my mother always used.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:02 pm
Is it because of the enjoyment in the process; that's exactly why I enjoy cooking (as much as or even more than eating). The only drawback I see in cooking for one is that some recipes cannot be condensed to making a single portion (and when I cook for myself I don't like to refrigerate and reheat the remainder--many times a lot of the flavor is lost). But experimenting with spices and techniques can be enjoyable as an end unto itself.
I would just point out that this depends entirely on the type of food being prepared. Most stews, soups, curries, braises, casseroles and meat loaves are much improved by additional time for flavor melding.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That is true in many cases; other meals are best served directly after cooking. I have found that things which are simmered generally age well (and even freeze well.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:02 pm
The only drawback I see in cooking for one is that some recipes cannot be condensed to making a single portion (and when I cook for myself I don't like to refrigerate and reheat the remainder--many times a lot of the flavor is lost).

Yeah that, and the fact that buying lots of "one off" recipe ingredients can get expensive.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Well, TPFKA@W I suspect even from SBG, the poison would be delicious.

On to my problem: Anybody here make chili? I tried today and ran into a big problem. Where do I find chili powder? I searched my local chain grocery and found lots of things in the spice department labeled "Chile Powder" and careful reading of the label revealed that is just what they all were--powered dried chile pepper always listed as the first ingredient and universally the second was salt. Then there was some differences, most said other spices, a few listed some particular spices. Tumeric or Cumin was never mentioned.

I grew up with something called 'chili powder' and the first ingredient was Cumin, then came Tumeric, and third or even later was hot pepper of some kind.

This changed during the Iran hostage period when all normal activities between Iran and USofA ended. Most of our cumin at that time came from Iran. The 'chili powder' suddenly disappeared from store shelves but gradually came back without cumin. I found Cumin from Mexico or someplace else not Iran and began adding cumin to my chili, along with the usual two Tablespoons of Chili Powder I used for a typical batch. About two years ago my wife bought a big cardboard container labeled Chili Powder Mild at the local ethnic specialty grocery store. We used abut half of it but I thought it was probably stale by now. It does have cumin and turmeric as the first two ingredients.

A brief search online found a number of places online that still sell a 'Chili Brick' which basically is a pound of ground beef with a proprietary blend of other things.

Anybody else find a big difference between 'chili' and 'chile' powder?

PS pasta with chili is an abomination.

snailgate.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I don’t mind leftovers, so I batch cook a couple of things on the weekends. Mostly braises or stews, or larger pieces/volumes of protein, so they reheat easily.

In my groceries today, I was able to get the larger thicker New York strip premium cut for the same price per pound as the smaller steaks. I’ll grill it tomorrow night, barely medium rare, eat one serving and then save the rest. Later in the week I’ll slice it as I need it, quickly warm up the slices in a pan, and put them over salad. Because the meat is cooked medium rare, and stored with any juices, it stays really lovely. I adore it warm over a good salad.

And my mother made an awesome tuna noodle casserole (no peas, blech), but my father hated it, so we saved it for when he was traveling. We would call it “daddy dinner,“ which actually meant dinners we ate when daddy wasn’t around. Another fave like that was “hot dog pie, which was like a savory custard with hot dogs, onions, and cheese. Kind of quiche-y, but not quite.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:55 pm
Well, TPFKA@W I suspect even from SBG, the poison would be delicious.

On to my problem: Anybody here make chili? I tried today and ran into a big problem. Where do I find chili powder? I searched my local chain grocery and found lots of things in the spice department labeled "Chile Powder" and careful reading of the label revealed that is just what they all were--powered dried chile pepper always listed as the first ingredient and universally the second was salt. Then there was some differences, most said other spices, a few listed some particular spices. Tumeric or Cumin was never mentioned.

I grew up with something called 'chili powder' and the first ingredient was Cumin, then came Tumeric, and third or even later was hot pepper of some kind.

This changed during the Iran hostage period when all normal activities between Iran and USofA ended. Most of our cumin at that time came from Iran. The 'chili powder' suddenly disappeared from store shelves but gradually came back without cumin. I found Cumin from Mexico or someplace else not Iran and began adding cumin to my chili, along with the usual two Tablespoons of Chili Powder I used for a typical batch. About two years ago my wife bought a big cardboard container labeled Chili Powder Mild at the local ethnic specialty grocery store. We used abut half of it but I thought it was probably stale by now. It does have cumin and turmeric as the first two ingredients.

A brief search online found a number of places online that still sell a 'Chili Brick' which basically is a pound of ground beef with a proprietary blend of other things.

Anybody else find a big difference between 'chili' and 'chile' powder?

PS pasta with chili is an abomination.

snailgate.
Simply Organic is a brand that you can usually find in major grocery stores in the natural foods section, with the following blend for chili powder:

Organic Chili Peppers, Organic Cumin, Organic Oregano, Organic Coriander, Organic Garlic, Organic Rice Concentrate, Organic Allspice, Organic Cloves.

(Rice concentrate is to prevent caking.)

Here’s the link from the product page where you could buy directly from the manufacturer: https://www.simplyorganic.com/grocery/s ... er-2-89-oz
But you can save shipping charges if you find it in a store locally, unless you have other spices to buy - you get free shipping over $39.

I buy most of my spices from either Spice House or Penzey's; they are both a bit more expensive than Simply Natural or Olde Thompson, which are the only grocery store brands I will buy as I’ve found McCormick and other typical grocery brands are often stale already when you open them. Spice House and Penzey’s are blended and bottled when you order them. The two brands both make the same chili powder blend: chilies, paprika, cumin, garlic, oregano - it comes in mild, regular or hot which is all about the amount of chilies in the mix.

I think that Simply Natural blend sounds yummy. I haven’t used a chili powder blend in a long time, I have so many spices on hand that I’ll usually make my own blend from scratch if I’m making the one chili recipe I like to make - a vegetarian chili from the Moosewood Collective.

Hope this helps! You can make your own blend following recipes online - you could substitute turmeric for paprika to get the kind of blend you’re remembering from years ago.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Guinevere wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:00 pm
In my groceries today, I was able to get the larger thicker New York strip premium cut for the same price per pound as the smaller steaks. I’ll grill it tomorrow night, barely medium rare, eat one serving and then save the rest. Later in the week I’ll slice it as I need it, quickly warm up the slices in a pan, and put them over salad. Because the meat is cooked medium rare, and stored with any juices, it stays really lovely. I adore it warm over a good salad.
Through my Walden meats membership (highly recommend if you’re interested) I was introduced to skirt steak over the last couple of years. It’s a cut I’d never used before - relatively inexpensive, although not so much through the Walden meats because they charge the same per pound for all cuts because you’re paying for the premium of grass fed, pasture raised beef (or pork, lamb, chicken) from small farms in New England and New York that are certified humane through the ASPCA ‘shop with your heart’ program.

Anyway, the skirt steak is ridiculously easy to prepare and super flavorful, perfectly suited to pairing with salad. You might want to try it if you haven’t already. Same with Walden; they have a butcher shop in Boston if you want to try something from that site before trying a share. Here’s their website: https://waldenlocalmeat.com/
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

Back in the '70s "skirt steak" also known as cow diaphragm was the most underpriced cut of beef. After the fajita craze that was all over. Everything always used to be better.

But really, food in the US is cheap and plentiful. There is this fantastic farm-raised steelhead from S. America that is cheap and stunningly good. No Atlantic Salmon is as good.

yrs,
rubato