Weighted blankets

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
TPFKA@W

Weighted blankets

Post by TPFKA@W »

Anyone here a regular user, or even a semi regular user? Hubby bought me one the other day as I had curiosity and a desire to try one for a bit. I had a lot of difficulty with the thing last night. Every so often I was awakened by a loud thump on the hardwood floor as the thing slid off and fell. The thing weighs 15 lbs and it is twin sized as husband had no desire to reap the alleged benefits of sleeping under one. Is there a trick to it you might share?

Yours,

Sleepless in Indiana

Guinevere

Re: Weighted blankets

Post by Guinevere »

Tempurpedic bed and fluffy soft down comforter (but cool room).

Or,
2EBD2B67-FC1F-4FB2-BB21-973F49A6D68D.jpeg
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I tried one of those tempurpedic beds some time back. It was like sleeping on a cloud but then the next day I could barely get moving.

My interest in the weighted blanket is in the hope that it might live up to its reputation for alleviating pain associated with fibromyalgia, of which I am a sufferer. I need to move to Florida or Arizona where I am told the old people aches and pains are not so prevalent.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

We all ache at this point - either from moving too much, or not enough, or from a particular disease. It definitely makes sleep more difficult. I’ve developed restless legs, so some gabapentin from time to time helps me sleep better. But wow, the dreams. On top of the COVID dreams and work stress dreams. Nuts.

My arthritic knee is also always aching and painful, especially in the morning, but a good swim loosens me up like nothing else.

I hope you find the right solution to your sleep!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I take Lyrica, which is a “cleaned up” version of gabapentin. Unfortunately it causes swelling. If things get really bad I take a norco at bedtime. Sleep isn’t that elusive with the medication but I hate waking up feeling hungover. I am looking for a non medical solution. Thus trying the weighted blanket.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Agreed. I don’t like the cloudy fuzzy feeling I get on the gaba. Keep on trying the blanket, it takes a couple of weeks to form a habit.

I’ve tried some CBD products. Will probably go for cannabis, next.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

As we might have said in the 70's, this subject is heavy, man. Per request, a weighted blanket of about the same heft was placed in our home, and ultimately found a resting place far away from any bed or couch. Your results may differ.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Cannabis is a terrific medicine for treating occasional or chronic insomnia, and at the same time will alleviate many types of pain that diminish quantity and quality of sleep.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Will probably go for cannabis, next.
Well I had to have clean urine for all these years. Random drug tests are a thing for nurses, or supposedly are a thing, and if you get hurt the first thing they ask for is a cuppa. Meanwhile, were I to decline working in the industry, I will be needing a dealer and a brownie recipe because I can't stand smoking.

dales

Post by dales »

I don't know about Indiana, in CALIFORNIA there are many varieties of legal edibles.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:49 am

Well I had to have clean urine for all these years. Random drug tests are a thing for nurses, or supposedly are a thing, and if you get hurt the first thing they ask for is a cuppa. Meanwhile, were I to decline working in the industry, I will be needing a dealer and a brownie recipe because I can't stand smoking.
I'd never thought about this. I'm of the school of thought that weed use is not unlike alcohol in many ways: a responsible drinker who has a beer or two in the evening will be perfectly capable of functioning next morning as a nurse or bus driver or whatever. So legalizing its use with limits is fine by me. A stoned driver is every bit as bad as a drunk driver and should suffer the same penalties.

The problem is that THC and its metabolites are stored in fat: alcohol is not. Alcohol just passes out in the urine and some, I suppose, in feces. So next day you're clean. THC and metabolites continue to be passed in both urine and feces for days, maybe up to a month, long after the temporary buzz is gone. So if you live in a state where weed is legal, how do you show the next day that you are fine?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

While definitely impaired generally speaking stoned drivers tend toward the overly cautious where a drunk driver tends toward the more reckless.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I've always believed that the use of any substance which adversely affects your job performance can be a valid reason for discharge (or your employer can choose to get you rehab or other help); if not, it's none of your employer's business. Unfortunately, many employers believe otherwise; I once left a good job because they instituted a random testing program (and I haven't indulged since college, so it was not that I was concerned with getting caught), but then it was pretty easy for me to get another similar job without the employer overreaching--just lucky, I guess. If I couldn't have easily changed jobs, I imagine I would have peed in the cup like everyone else. It reminds me of how Henry Ford sent people out to spy on his employees and see if they drank alcohol at home, dischargine them if they did; typical of the attitude that employers own their employees.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

My point is that I would expect to be fired if I showed up to work drunk; but if I had had a glass of wine with dinner last night (a) the effects would have worn off and (b) the alcohol in my system would be undetectable.

If I used weed in a state where recreational use is permitted, the same should be true. Come to work stoned and you're out. But if you had a few tokes last night (it may be I'm out of date - what do they call them nowadays?) and this morning you are fine, can they still fire you if it shows up in your urine?

PS - I did not know that about H Ford. If there is one guy in 20th Century American life whose statues should come down, it's him.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

can they still fire you if it shows up in your urine?
Yes, or for the way you part your hair for that matter. Indiana is an at will state. But, you have to remember that drug abuse is a big issue in nursing, and we have our fingers right in the till, if you will. No one wants to work with stoner drug-stealing nurses who will take the fentanyl patches right off a dying patient. You can take drugs, not the illegal ones, but you damned well better have a prescription on file for it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My weighted blanket works great.
9791BC82-9E27-4DF5-B2AF-090096832F94.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:46 pm
I've always believed that the use of any substance which adversely affects your job performance can be a valid reason for discharge (or your employer can choose to get you rehab or other help); if not, it's none of your employer's business. Unfortunately, many employers believe otherwise; I once left a good job because they instituted a random testing program (and I haven't indulged since college, so it was not that I was concerned with getting caught), but then it was pretty easy for me to get another similar job without the employer overreaching--just lucky, I guess. If I couldn't have easily changed jobs, I imagine I would have peed in the cup like everyone else. It reminds me of how Henry Ford sent people out to spy on his employees and see if they drank alcohol at home, dischargine them if they did; typical of the attitude that employers own their employees.
It's not usually employers. In many cases, it is insurers. (In my case, it's the DOT.)

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Back to weighted blankets. I have a number of very heavy blankets--quilts made from wool scraps after winter coats wore out. For me they feel good over me when I crawl into a cold bed with the thermostat set at 60degF when I go to bed. But I 'sleep hot' and after about two hours I have warmed it all up to where I throw off everything except a cotton sheet and a light blanket.

snailgate.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I turn the thermostat down to 50 these at night. Then I open a window unless It’s in single digits. I use an electric blanket on account of my feet get cold. I was hoping the weighted blanket would help with pain. So far so it has slid off every night.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Can you put the weighted blanket between the bed spread and top sheet?