Rivers of fun

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Long Run

Rivers of fun

Post by Long Run »

Maybe @W and EKA could enlighten us as to why someone would be so desperate to flee Indiana for Kentucky. 8-)
A Fish Called Fischbach
Herbert Krabel Tue Jan 05 2021

On New Year's Day John Fischbach swam from Indiana to Kentucky in 39 degree water and no wetsuit, and he was not alone with this cool adventure.

ST: During that Ohio River swim - did you have any moment of weakness or thoughts of just returning to the warm car?

John: With the current at 2mph sideways and the water at 39.9, there's no escape. The quickest way to get out was to swim hard to the KY side.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/A_ ... 2rdYcwPfCw

Sue U

Re: Rivers of fun

Post by Sue U »

Long Run wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:54 pm
Maybe @W and EKA could enlighten us as to why someone would be so desperate to flee Indiana for Kentucky. 8-)
Well I can certainly see why someone would want to flee Indiana, but the obvious problem problem with doing it this way is you end up in Kentucky, so what have you really gained?

Also, he could have avoided a lot of this difficulty. The photo shows at least three perfectly good bridges.
GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:43 pm

Also, he could have avoided a lot of this difficulty. The photo shows at least three perfectly good bridges.
And to think that at most colleges the swim squad wins the best GPA award among the various sports teams.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

He decided to swim after he heard those bridges would take a toll on him.

dales

Post by dales »

Wanted to avoid COVID-19.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Well I love it, but winter OWSwimmers are nuts. Happy to limit myself to waters above 65 degrees or so (aka, summer, here in New England).
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

That pic is from the east (i.e., pointing downstream) with Louisville on the left and Jeffersonville IN on the right. The nearest bridge is a former railway bridge from the 1800s repurposed to pedestrian/bicycle only use a few years ago. It's actually a pleasant walk on a summer day because the river has a cooling effect and there's an ice cream place on the other side which, because you have walked a mile to get there, allows you to offset the calories you have shed on the way.

There are actually four bridges; there used to be, until a few years ago, only one Interstate 65 (N to Indy and Chicago, S to Nashville) bridge; they added a second bridge - the nearer one of the middle two - and made it northbound only and the old I 65 bridge became southbound only.

I shall ignore the negative Kentucky comments. Feel free to insult the Hoosiers though - we do. It's pretty much what they are for.