Exercise regimes and gear - what do you do?

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
eddieq

Exercise regimes and gear - what do you do?

Post by eddieq »

I need a benign discussion thread to clear my head up. All things considered, I think this is a safe place.

You all know I was running and lost a shit-ton of weight back in 2013/2014. I had a high BP/headache issue induced during a run in 2015 and stopped running altogether at that point in a complete "afraid to do anything". Ballooned back up to near 300 pounds.

Mother's Day 2019 I got back on the wagon. Eating better, doing my 10 Minute Trainer program. After a physical in November of 2019 where my doctor gave me permission to resume running if I wanted to, I started running again. Continued all through 2020 and have been out a few times this year. I still enjoy it. Not breaking any land speed records. I recently purchased a Noxgear Tracer360 visibility vest. It's been good and so far, I've not been run over by a truck in the street. Of course, it may make me more visible if someone wishes to do me harm, but oh well.

Some vest pics

I turned 50 in November. There was a whole "do 22 pushups a day" in November "challenge" in support of veteran suicide. I did that all month and continued through December (bumping the number to 25). I'm aware that 25 pushups is no big deal in general. For me it's huge considering the shoulder issues I've had in the past. My oldest "joined" and January challenge to do 25 pushups daily and 50 squats daily, so I am joining them on that venture. So far, so good. I do these when I get up in the morning that way my legs hurt all day.

I'm holding steady at a comfortable 210. I feel I really was too thin when I got down below 190 a few years ago. I don't run every day but I feel like I can go out whenever I want to and I don't have that "Oh, God why did I climb the steps" exhaustion of old.

So what are all of you doing to keep fit? If you run/walk - do you have any favorite gear?

Big RR

Re: Exercise regimes and gear - what do you do?

Post by Big RR »

I usually walk with the dog a couple of miles a day, and add bike riding and hiking a few times a week in the spring/summer/fall. I also try to ski a few times a year winter, usually around 10-20 times. Not a lot but it keeps me moving.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I drink wine
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I'm a swimmer. Always have been, always will be. In June my pool re-opened, and I've been swimming regularly since then, anywhere from 2-5 times per week, depending on the week and what's going on. I'm not fast, but I can get in a good solid workout in 30-45-60 minutes, depending on the day.

I also walk and do yoga, and love weight training, but my arthritic knee has limited some of that right now. I started a new treatment this week, and I am hopeful I get some relief soon.

Check out Long Run, who has that name for a reason.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:10 pm
I drink wine
I used to do that more regularly, and damn, I am looking forward to a glass tomorrow night!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes: I stopped going to the gym in March. Occasional walks since then but it's not difficult to exercise during the summer. We have about 1/2 acre which I mow with a push-behind so I get a solid 4 or 5 of hard work hours every week. Winter is harder. I try to park at the far end of the lot when I shop - that sort of thing - and I have not really been gaining weight. My exercise at the gym was largely bike and weights; and I am aware that I can't lift weights now that I could, easily, less than a year ago.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Good stuff. I'll have to try the wine thing.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Ed, I don't know your age or other health situations, but there is lots of stuff that says 'wind sprints' or 'intervals' the thing where you go as hard as you can for about a minute, then lite for a short period and then as hard as you can-- repeat as needed, give the biggest bang for the time put in to it. I really like your visibility vest. That could be just the thing I need for riding a bike at nite.

I live in an apartment complex with all the units opening to a stair well that is not enclosed. I am in a bottom unit with two floors above me. I try to walk up the stairs, at least four loops, early in the day. I do a pace that lets me breathe thru my nose. If I need to mouth breath, I am too fast. I check my heart rate with one of those little (and cheap!) gadgets that clip on to a finger and give the blood O2 saturation and heart rate.

But I have not been on the bike for a long time. My hip and back are stiff to the point where I cannot lift my leg over the saddle. Also some balance problems. Like near everybody, I need to exercise more.

But good to see you. Thanks for the plug for Project 22. I have their 'burnout' flag on display over my bookcase. And thanks for the pix.

snailgate

Gob

Post by Gob »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:40 am
Ed, I don't know your age or other health situations, but there is lots of stuff that says 'wind sprints' or 'intervals' the thing where you go as hard as you can for about a minute, then lite for a short period and then as hard as you can-- repeat as needed, give the biggest bang for the time put in to it.
AKA "Fartlek" amusingly.

I cannot run anymore, due to ankle and knee injuries.

My routine was;
6.30 am. 45 mins walk with dogs.
10.30 am. 90 min gym session, a mix of strength and cardio, but mainly weights training.
Afternoon, weather permitting, photography walk with dogs, anywhere from an hour to three hours.
Sunset. 30-60 min walk with dogs.

I try to keep 2 hours walking a day as my baseline.

Gym is now shut, so I'm using exercise bands to maintain upper body strength.

I've been on the wagon since the end of August, only having alcohol when in company. Due to lock-down, and where I live, this is now down to once a month or so on average.
cc2 r.jpg
We did 3 hours walking here yesterday, on a photography trip obvs. I live in a very inspiring area to get out into.

ETA: I was massively impressed by your weight loss and new lifestyle back in the day mate, and it's great to see you're back on the right track.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

SG - I remember windsprints/intervals/fartlek quite well. Back in my days on the Cross Country team (dang, that's like 33 years ago) we did that frequently during practices. Coach would have us do "Indian Runs" where we would go out at a "less than race pace but not a jog" in a single file line. The person in the back had to sprint to the front and fall back into line and as soon as he was in place, the new back person would repeat. We'd do that over the course of several miles.

We also had our "favorite" workout around once a season. 20 quarters. We'd go to the track (a quarter mile around like all standard high school tracks in the US at the time) and go all out for one lap, then jog one lap, then go all out, then jog, etc. You did this over and over until you had completed 20 total laps. We hated it but dang if our times didn't improve over the next couple of races.

My running these days is for fitness, but I also just enjoy going out and pounding the pavement. Helps me get my head on straight and purges some of the emotions. I use the "Map My Run" app (from Under Armour) and it gives me regular "average pace" readouts, so I keep that in my head as I go to try to maintain a steady pace. My company offers an annual flexible benefit for "health and wellness" that is very flexible. It can be used for gym memberships, ergonomic chairs, fitness equipment and nearly anything that you can spin as a health and wellness purchase. Last year, I purchased an apple watch to replace my aging fitbit so that helps with the tracking as well.

Gob - love the photos. Glad you still go on long walks/photography jaunts.
Last edited by eddieq on Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gob

Post by Gob »

eddieq wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:54 pm

My running these days is for fitness, but I also just enjoy going out and pounding the pavement. Helps me get my head on straight and purges some of the emotions.
I think of my exercise, walking, and hobbies as maintenance, for mind, body and soul

eddieq wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Gob - love the photos. Glad you still go on long walks/photography jaunts.

Cheers old son, have another...
nl.jpg
This is the place you reach by following the footpath behind our house, about 15 mins walk. For about 2 weeks, this time of year, the sunset illuminates, but unfortunately doesn't align with, "the Song of the Sea."
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Nice. I took this photo when out walking Xena about a month ago. Not the same effect, but it was a nice sunset for what we get here

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Reminds me of one I took
Ripples in the sky.jpg

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I believe this is sometimes known colloquially as a 'mackerel sky'.  Supposed to mean it's a good day to go fishing.

Of course, the guy who told me that would go fishing anyway, no matter what the heck the sky looked like.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Mackerel sky,
mackerel sky,
Never long wet,
never long dry.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Separated at birth? ;-)
ImageImage

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Gob wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:40 am
Separated at birth? ;-)
ImageImage
Those two are quite handsome devils

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I am planning to start my recumbent bike riding as soon as I can walk a bit without dizziness and extreme shortness of breath.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Difficult to tell with the perspective but that looks like about a meter (metre) to me. In which case it's 0.001K.

You're welcome.