Can't contain it

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Long Run

Can't contain it

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy

Re: Can't contain it

Post by Joe Guy »

That's it! I'm going to create a disposable Tupperware-like product to save people the trouble of emptying and cleaning containers. I'm sure nobody has ever thought of that before.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:33 pm
That's it! I'm going to create a disposable Tupperware-like product to save people the trouble of emptying and cleaning containers. I'm sure nobody has ever thought of that before.
Yes they have ... it's called Styrofoam.

Or you could just eat it all in one sitting — no leftovers, no problem!!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:52 pm
Eating it all in one sitting is what got me to my present (over-)weight....so yeah, that is a problem.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Styrofoam is non-fattening!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

And if you eat styrofoam, your poop floats.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:52 pm

Leftovers are for tomorrow, not for saving!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

My dog, may she rest in peace, would eat styrofoam, if she was offered anything to eat out of it. No experiments were conducted on whether her poop floated.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I avoid polystyrene (styrofoam) food containers when possible, and fortunately most take out places have migrated to paper container products that biodegrade. On the plus side, we have a local company that takes styrofoam and has a process they turn it into an oil product. Just got back from dropping off a car load of the stuff that built up with holiday season package deliveries.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I can’t believe it hasn’t been banned for years already. Far too many places still use the stuff - heck even Dunkin’ just recently switched to paper. Imagine all the Dunkin’ styrofoam cups clogging up landfills.

Ugh.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Our new trash hauler has the contract to take away everyone's trash in our little suburban town for the next three years. It saves having half a dozen different company's trucks tearing up all the town's streets as it was six years ago. This is the second company to have the contract, The old one was going to raise the rate to $21 a month, so they put it out for bids. Now we're $17.50.

We separate the trash into recyclable and not. Neither hauler takes poly-styrene, so it goes to the dump, I mean sanitary landfill, to rot forever,
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

The council does our garbage, (subcontracted to a private company, SERCO.) Our bins are; household waste, tins and plastics, glass, carboard and paper, garden waste. Polystyrene goes in household and then into landfill.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

We have a municipal garbage hauler. When the recycling effort first started in out neighborhood we were required to separate recyclables into 6 different categories(cardboard, paper, plastic, clear glass, amber glass, colored glass) along with standard trash (yard waste was separately collected) and we were required to have a separate container for each. However, when the recyclables were collected, all sic containers were poured into a single truck; the argument was that, although they were not recycling separately, they want people to "get used to it"; it eventually went to to the town council and the policy was changed (and more than 25 years later all recyclables are still collected in one truck and in a common bin).

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The market for recycling materials has bottomed out, and a great many municipalities are losing money on curbside programs and sending the material to be burned or buried.

Nobody in the public sector has the nuts to bitch slap the citizens with the kind of waste collection costs that would compel them to REDUCE their consumption of single plastic contained foodstuffs and household products. They certainly don’t have the nuts to demand that producers bear the cost of disposing of all the paper plastic styrofoam et al. packaging they put around their products - if they did, consumer choice wouldn’t even have to come into it. And it is hard to reduce by purchasing choices, because almost all the producers are using a shit ton of plastic packaging these days.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:42 pm
slap the citizens with the kind of waste collection costs * * * demand that producers bear the cost of disposing of all the paper plastic styrofoam et al. packaging they put around their products
Econ 101, subsidizing something will result in more of it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Right it should be on the production end. Germany did this many years ago and it resulted in big changes in industry. They had collection points for packaging in stores, and the cost of collecting and disposing was charged back to producers rather than to municipalities or consumers.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

However just doing some current research I see they still have problems with too much waste there.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:49 pm
My dog, may she rest in peace, would eat styrofoam, if she was offered anything to eat out of it. No experiments were conducted on whether her poop floated.

Our lovely dog would chew up and swallow whole filberts and never associated the horrible (to her) and hilarious (to us) results when when they made a return appearance later on. It was years later that I snuck into a writers conference where Ken Kesey recited "shaking like a dog shitting peach pits" and about died recalling it.

yrs,
rubato