RIP Marvelous

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

RIP Marvelous

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Re: RIP Marvelous

Post by Long Run »

He was a great during perhaps the greatest era of boxing, especially in that weight class -- Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and Thomas Hearns joined Hagler as all timers. The sport has not been anywhere close to that elite level since.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

A great fighter there, and I guy who usually preferred to do his talking in the ring; it didn't always win him fans, and I think he sometimes suffered for this from the judges (like in the Leonard fight where he lost the split decision), but he was always fun to watch.

And LR, I agree about his era being one of the greatest in boxing history. You can still find good fights, but they are fewer and much further between.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Only if you limit it to heavyweight. Lighter weight matches while are less likely to deliver the stunning knockouts are generally far more interesting to watch.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I agree CP, and I am just as happy to have a bout go to the scorecards as having a knockout (and usually hate TKOs unless they are really warranted). These guys are all middleweights and welterweights (not heavyweights) and IMHO those are some of the best classes to watch as they can combine power with stamina and speed. There still are some good fights, but I think a lot less.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I still wonder why ... and in a way, lament the fact ... that otherwise civilized people around the world continue to look upon and celebrate an activity where the point is to beat another person into submission as a 'sport', referring to it by such noble terms as 'The Sweet Science' and 'The Manly Art of Self-Defense'.

I also question the need to continually seek and find even more ways (full-contact karate; kick-boxing; mixed martial arts; even a version of bar-room brawling that went under the name of 'Toughman Contest') to further legitimize what is, in effect, a barely-sanitized form of assault and battery.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BB--I imagine there was a time when boxing was that way--I recall reading about endless bouts which continued until someone could not come out for the next round, but such has not been the case since the early 1900s. Modern boxing is a bout where strength is matched with skill and endurance, and where strategy is just as important as the ability to deliver strong blows. Yes, it is brutal, and yes, people are hurt, but then the people who box go in willingly with knowledge of what they are doing, and can reap great rewards for their skills. Like many other sports, it will never be totally safe, but it is a way for two men or women to match their skills and wits. I understand why some do not enjoy watching it, but it is hardly assault and battery. Some would prefer that people not challenge themselves in this way, but I am content to let those who choose to, do so.

As for kickboxing and MMA, I am not a fan and will leave their defense to ones who are. I have no knowledge of the toughman competition, so I will similarly refrain from comment.