A recipe for obnoxious

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Long Run

A recipe for obnoxious

Post by Long Run »

There has been a trend for online recipes to becoming longer, and longer, where there is tons of fluff and saying the same thing over and over, and of course filled with annoying ads and popups. Here is a good example:

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/pan-seared-halibut-recipe/

The entire recipe could have fit on one screen, but this goes on for over 40 screens, and about half way down you can find the actual recipe without all of the hucksterism and fluff.

And, when you have a line like this:
I have to admit, more often than not I used to either buy bottled lemon juice or just squeeze using my hands, and this new tool made such a huge difference:
You have to wonder what kind of chef this is who would use bottled lemon juice rather than fresh lemons, ever. And using your hands to squeeze a lemon works just fine, or just use the simple juicer squeezer that's been around for 100 years. All that said, I riffed off of this recipe and made excellent halibut filets.

Joe Guy

Re: A recipe for obnoxious

Post by Joe Guy »

When I'm using my laptop and Firefox browser to read articles, I push F9 on my keyboard to enable "reader view" and eliminate all of the popups and focus on the article.

Maybe you should try it. You know... just for the halibut.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:00 pm
Maybe you should try it. You know... just for the halibut.
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Long Run wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:45 pm
There has been a trend for online recipes to becoming longer, and longer, where there is tons of fluff and saying the same thing over and over, and of course filled with annoying ads and popups.
Have to say I'd noticed that too. My "go to" places for recipes aren't too bad though.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/series ... erfect----

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food

https://www.goodfood.com.au

https://www.taste.com.au
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The adds and the pop ups are the point. They make the money for the site. It’s quite literally the price you pay for free content on the internet.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Crackpot wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:05 am
The adds and the pop ups are the point. They make the money for the site. It’s quite literally the price you pay for free content on the internet.
Of course. But there comes a point at which a person decides that waiting for fourteen ads to load in order to read two sentences of content, and then click on the 'NEXT' button so the next two lines of the content (along with ANOTHER fourteen ads) load, is a little much.

Now rinse and repeat about 37 times, and then find out that the "content" you just painstakingly read didn't really have anything to do with the initial click-bait that brought you there in the first place or never fully addressed/answered the topic it was supposedly dealing with ---- and it's enough to make anybody flip out.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I like the NY Times as a source for recipes and cooking tips. Granted, it requires a subscription, but I pay that anyway.

However. There has been a recent change. Not the kind of thing complained about above because there is no plug for any thing in particular (sometimes they will explain this is a home-kitchen version of some special restaurant dish). But. For a long time nutritional information was included at the end of the recipe, just like on food labels in the grocery store: calories, fat, sugar, salt, etc. per serving. Now that is gone. Instead there is a list of substitutions, different types of cheese or spices or exotic vegetables. I would rather know the calories and salt content.

snailgate.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Deviating slightly, forgoing a recipe, I made these off the other day. Stilton and red jalapenos scone/farl hybrids.

I was out of bread for toast, so busked it.

161810314_4180755595270692_4452792668106477074_n.jpg
161810314_4180755595270692_4452792668106477074_n.jpg (72.5 KiB) Viewed 525 times
Bloody lovely they were.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

My great grandmother filled several large scrap books with clipped recipes from newspapers and magazines. It was a pretty impressive collection, and carefully filled, a rival to any coffee table book. I'll have to see what became of those; might have been passed on with less worthy estate items.