The ultimate DIY thrill

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

The ultimate DIY thrill

Post by Gob »

If you're a Marmite addict, try making your own from scratch with this ingenious recipe.

At Alchemilla, Alex Bond and his team make their own Marmite in-house, using leftover sourdough to give it an unbelievable toasted flavour before reducing the yeast extract down to a treacly syrup. Next time you have some leftover bread, why not try making your own Marmite instead of throwing it away? It's a great way of adding an intense umami flavour to all sorts of dishes.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recip ... ite-recipe
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Re: The ultimate DIY thrill

Post by Sue U »

Who hurt you?
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If you can follow that recipe and still eat it you are much braver than I am (bu then I wouldn't even rat it before I knew how it was made.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Why do they give Marmite/Vegemite to Britons and Aussies instead of rats?

Because there are some things even rats won't eat.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

No, no. They give us Marmite instead of rats because we don't eat rats. Even ones slathered in Marmite.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'd give it a go.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

There is already too much marmite in the world and I would not wish to contribute to more marmite contamination/polution. Clearly a waste of good stale bread.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:30 pm
There is already too much marmite in the world and I would not wish to contribute to more marmite contamination/polution. Clearly a waste of good stale bread.
Right? Wouldn’t it be better to just make bread pudding, or stuffing, or even breadcrumbs?
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

My bread pudding is fab, (no marmite involved.)
151685461_2827640244223266_6239464749686583477_o.jpg

May make another today.

Tip; buy loaves of fruit bread near to expiry date (if cheap/reduced!!) Freeze until ready for use. The freezing makes the fruit sweeter and the bread break down slightly when baking. I also use croissants in some recipes, (if bought as above.)

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Not a fan of bread pudding. But yours is very lovely to look at.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Me, I like it. Much prefer it over rice pudding. My wife complained that my version had too much egg.

Now I have a regular bread consumption/supply system and I don't have any left overs, not even for a single slice of french toast.

Gob, more detail on what you are calling 'fruit bread' please.

snailgate

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I looked it up on the google. Ew. Fruit, bread and pudding ought to be taken independently of one another.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Sounds like it might a little too sweet. Probably could use some Marmite to balance the flavor.

Gob

Post by Gob »

:lol: @ Joe!

I buy these cheap off the "reduced section" at my local supermarket, (when available.)

I've be inspired, so I'll making one today now. I add whisky into the custard, nom!!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I see that the Macallan you lusted after went for £1,000,000. I don't think you should use that; or if you do, buy the fresh, full price Morrison's Fruit Loaf. Don't stint. Pay the extra 50p.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Tough call.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:38 am
Sounds like it might a little too sweet. Probably could use some Marmite to balance the flavor.
🐝. You bumbled your b.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Is "fruit bread" like raisin bread but with more/different kinds of fruit? What is the typical fruit one would find in fruit bread?
GAH!

dales

Post by dales »

Is it like "fruit cake"?

Yannow the xmas gift that no one really wants and remains uneaten for months or perhaps even years.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:38 am
TPFKA@W wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:04 pm
🐝. You bumbled your b.
You couldn't let that be but at least you didn't drone on about it.