A love letter

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Sue U

A love letter

Post by Sue U »

How we feel here: It's perfect.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Re: A love letter

Post by Burning Petard »

I thought it was very interesting. But I am still glad I live in Sarah's " some other place".

snailgate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:02 pm
I thought it was very interesting. But I am still glad I live in Sarah's " some other place".

snailgate
You mean Baja New Jersey?
GAH!

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

No thanks.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

No Sue, I mean the second smallest state. Never heard it called Baja NJ before. I have heard the beach here described as queer Washington DC, North.

That makes no never mind for me. As a refugee from the mid-West, I really don't care about the shore. But I do like the rock fish and the blue fish.

snailgate.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Philly is earthy, rough-hewn, unhinged, untamed, full of deep fiery talent, with a big cracked bell as its primary tourist attraction.
It's not a crack, it's a repair! (And I'm pretty sure Ray would agree with me.)

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:24 am
Philly is earthy, rough-hewn, unhinged, untamed, full of deep fiery talent, with a big cracked bell as its primary tourist attraction.
It's not a crack, it's a repair! (And I'm pretty sure Ray would agree with me.)
Well, it did crack first, then they "repaired" it by drilling out the crack some more and putting some bolts in. And it still didn't work right. I used to work on Washington Square right behind Independence Hall and ate lunch at the Liberty Bell every day (before they moved it to the pavilion on Independence Mall across the street). It was one of my favorite things about living and working in Philly. And Sara Benincasa's description is a highly accurate summary of the City of Brotherly Love, especially this part:
They know no god but music and, of course, Gritty, a genderless demon who is spiritual kin to our own Jersey Devil, but wilder and less predictable.
Having spent my life alternating between each of these worlds, I know the truth when I see it.
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I remember going to Philly on a business trip to see a client - 1985 or thereabouts - stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown - went for a walk in the evening and discovered Ben Franklin's grave just around the corner. Went again with the family, late 90s, daughter was seven-ish, and we did the touristy things. Independence Hall, Baumann's bookshop, Liberty Bell, Rocky's steps, etc. "It's not a crack, it's a repair!" was the constant refrain from the ranger/docent at the Bell; and it became a catch-phrase at our house.

And PS I Love South Jersey. I had big important $$$ clients in the Northern end of the state (Edison, Trenton, New Brunswick) but I always found time to visit the nicer end mining for $ customers.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue--you surpised me; in the article she talks about central Jersey. I thought you deny that exists. :lol:

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:19 pm
Sue--you surpised me; in the article she talks about central Jersey. I thought you deny that exists. :lol:
She's writing a love letter so she's not taking sides, and refers to it as "the most mythical part of our state." And as long as we all recognize that it is in fact a myth, we're cool. ;)
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:13 pm
And PS I Love South Jersey. I had big important $$$ clients in the Northern end of the state (Edison, Trenton, New Brunswick) but I always found time to visit the nicer end mining for $ customers.
From the Delaware Water Gap to Cape May, there is abundant natural beauty in our state of all varieties. I like urban landscapes, too, and we've sure got that. Even though it's a small state geographically, it's never boring.
GAH!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God