One Picture to explain "What's Wrong with the Olympics"

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: One Picture to explain "What's Wrong with the Olympics"

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:36 pm
I haven't seen it but I can't imagine anything more exciting than Olympic cornhole competition. I bet those athletes are some of the most physically fit people on the planet. I can only imagine the workouts they must endure to get to their peak fitness.
Isn't Scooter currently a master of this event?   Image
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Here is a clip of the most famous Olympic's cornhole champ preparing to accept his gold medal:

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

There is a professional corn hole league. They get a fair amount of time on the sports outlets. At the age of most of us are, we can't carry the ACME shoe bag of most of today's track stars, but we might just have what it takes to make it on the corn hole circuit.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Guinevere wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:06 pm
“Sport” does not only have one definition, nor is it defined by a single attribute. Being narrow-minded is even sadder than whatever my alleged offense was.
I don't know what was your alleged offense either. To wish that subjective "judged" events were excluded, leaving only objective events in which the participants themselves decided the result, is not an endorsement for the inclusion of any (or all) such objective human endeavors.

I would object to cornhole, dominoes, tiddly-winks, leaping motorcycles across canyons and so forth on the grounds of triviality - the same category as leaping bicycles from rock to rock and holding one's breath under water. Admirable in execution perhaps but rubbish sports or games all the same.

To object that my suggestion of eliminating subjectivity from competition is narrow-minded is itself narrow-minded. I do not claim that anyone's desire to keep "artistic swimming" is a defect in that person's view.

Crap though it is :nana
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:45 pm
Oh that is so sad. Smart folks should know that subjective is not remotely the same as objective.
Not remotely the same as a bunch of nobodies with one saying that "This dive was worth 9" while the guy sitting next to them says it was only worth 7.5. Subjective
Agreed.
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:45 pm

Boxing should be out too - banned from the planet for life because it's nothing short of assault with a figleaf of legality. Same category as smoking
Totally disagree, boxing is a great and noble sport.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Boxing is also a subjectively judged sport. Or did you forget that?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:25 am
Boxing is also a subjectively judged sport. Or did you forget that?
I bet Gob will prefer original boxing - bareknuckle until someone dies
:lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Even the most objective sports have officials making judgment calls; it would be absurd to eliminate all sports that are more heavily subjectively judged, which, of course, is why such nonsense has never received a moment of thought by those who make decisions.

Here's a partial list of sports that wold be excluded on such basis (all sports in which subjective judging plays a significant role in determining the outcome):

Basketball + 3 on 3
Gymnastics Artistic and Rhythmic
Baseball
Softball
Artistic Swimming
BMX Freestyle
Boxing
Diving
Equestrian
Fencing
Football/Soccer
Field Hockey
Judo
Karate
Modern Pentathlon
Rugby
Skate Boarding
Sport Climbing
Surfing
Taekwondo
Trampoline
Wrestling

That is 25 out of about 49 sports on the current summer Olympic agenda, and many of these go back to the early days of the modern games. One could easily add other sports where judging has on a regular basis determined the outcome. You may not care for any of these, but then, no one forces anyone to watch any of it. So you can watch what you like, and once in awhile watch something new.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Long Run wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:39 pm
Even the most objective sports have officials making judgment calls blah blah blah blah
Rubbish

To quote my earlier fulmination:
(And yes there are referees, umpires, linesmen, etc to enforce and interpret whether the scoring was according to the rules but no they don't decide who won by casting their votes. Except for most boxing matches)

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:50 pm
Long Run wrote:
Even the most objective sports have officials making judgment calls blah blah blah blah
Rubbish

(And yes there are referees, umpires, linesmen, etc to enforce and interpret whether the scoring was according to the rules but no they don't decide who won by casting their votes. Except for most boxing matches)
No disrespect intended, Mr Meade, but despite the fact that the Games had been overshadowed by the kidnapping and subsequent massacre of Israeli athletes by members of the 'Black September' terrorists, how could you forget how one referee and his decisions affected the gold-medal basketball match between the US and the USSR in Munich back in 1972?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:19 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:50 pm
Long Run wrote:
Rubbish

No disrespect intended, Mr Meade, but despite the fact that the Games had been overshadowed by the kidnapping and subsequent massacre of Israeli athletes by members of the 'Black September' terrorists, how could you forget how one referee and his decisions affected the gold-medal basketball match between the US and the USSR in Munich back in 1972?
-"BB"-
Don't bother, he's shitposting.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:19 pm
None taken, Mr Bill. So you're citing a referee breaking the rules to affect the result of a particular game as the equivalent of a system in which judges determine the results of ALL games rather than the participants?

No Jarlsberg, I'm lighthearted but sincere in believing that judged events should not be in the Olympics but played out in whatever lala-land they inhabit during the rest of the four years.

Thus horse jumping and x-country are in; dressage is out. Etc. And is there really anyone here defending that industrial waste tip they called skateboarding?

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Don't bother, he's shitposting.
He must have noticed that there had not been any trolling in some time and decided to fill the void. 8-)

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Meade--
a system in which judges determine the results of ALL games rather than the participants?
You honestly believe that? These are not people substituting their judgement for who they'd like to win, but judges who score the performance of the athletes against a strict set of scoring rules. I know gymnastics is scored that way, and I doubt very much there is any sport in which the performance of the participants doesn't control who wins. All one has to do is listen to the commentators to see whow the rules are applied. Sure, there may be disagreements, but the judging is usually fair and objective.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:01 am
Meade--
a system in which judges determine the results of ALL games rather than the participants?
You honestly believe that? These are not people substituting their judgement for who they'd like to win, but judges who score the performance of the athletes against a strict set of scoring rules. I know gymnastics is scored that way, and I doubt very much there is any sport in which the performance of the participants doesn't control who wins. All one has to do is listen to the commentators to see whow the rules are applied. Sure, there may be disagreements, but the judging is usually fair and objective.
So that's why they discard the two lowest and the two highest scores - because the judges are NEVER biased, right? It used to be the lowest and highest but evidently that still didn't discourage bloc cheating.

But that's beside the point, really. The fact is, in real sports the contestants score the points, or finish first, or jump the highest, etc. They don't need judges deciding if they get 10 or 9.9

And LR - "At times the word is incorrectly used to refer to anyone with controversial, or differing, opinions" But thanks for arguing. :P

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

So that's why they discard the two lowest and the two highest scores - because the judges are NEVER biased, right? It used to be the lowest and highest but evidently that still didn't discourage bloc cheating.
Yes, some judged sports do that, others not. Not sure why the ones that are judged do that. Could be to reduce bias, or could be because every judge does not see everything--kind of like when judges conference to determine if a ball (or hit or kick or whatever) is in bounds or executed properly.

B
ut that's beside the point, really. The fact is, in real sports the contestants score the points, or finish first, or jump the highest, etc. They don't need judges deciding if they get 10 or 9.9
In the sports which you deem are not "real" the contestants score the points as well, the judges just record them. Sure, there's a difference, but then how many times did we watch a a heat to be sure the results were "official" and the judges didn't determine that someone passed improperly in a footrace or used an improper kick during a swim race? These are supposedly objective, but are decided usually by more than one judge for the same reason.

Certainly there are differences between how different sports are scored and judged,, but it doesn't make them any of them any less "real" a sport. And don't kid yourself, all sports are judged in a way that affects the ultimate score, and that judging involves both objectivity and subjectivity in those decisions. You just choose to believe some are objective and others not because you know/don't know the rules.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thank you, Big RR and some others.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

The most indefensible position is "I don't like X sport [for whatever reason] so no matter how popular the sport, it should not be in the Olympics. Only the sports I prefer should be in the Games."

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well I'm sure autistic swimming and diving are tops on the weekend fun-things-to-do at the Run household
:lol:

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm curious about autistic swimming competition since I've never seen it. Is it a free style unsynchronized solo competition where everyone gets a participation medal?