One Picture to explain "What's Wrong with the Olympics"

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Guinevere

Re: One Picture to explain "What's Wrong with the Olympics"

Post by Guinevere »

Gob wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:27 pm
Too many daft events, like twin diving, horse disco, and those silly cycling on wood things.
“Horse disco” = dressage, an olympic event dating back to 1912 with its origins in Ancient Greek horsemanship. The movements were taught to the horses in order to help them evade attacks and become more mobile — protecting themselves and their riders.

My boy has tried it but he and his horse (which has dressage training), prefer jumping.

My issue was mostly with the timing. I don’t like watching sports when I know the outcome, and it was difficult to avoid a lot of it. Luckily, the swimming was timed right and I watched many of the final races live. Also got up early to watch the marathon swims, the triathlons, and the equestrian stadium jumping.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

CVS receipt.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:13 pm

“Horse disco” = dressage, an olympic event dating back to 1912 with its origins in Ancient Greek horsemanship.
Daft then, daft now.

(Good to see you back.)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Actually, quite relevant in 1912, when horse cavalry was very much a thing.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

And just two years later . . . utterly irrelevant

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

So, the two so often screaming "Tradition!" are now screaming "Antiquated!" Good to know when the shoe is on the other hoof . . . :lol:
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Me? I'm just pointing out that horse cavalry became irrelevant in the face of barbed wire, trenches, and machine guns.

But I'll agree with that other chap to the extent that all Olympic "games" that are decided by judges awarding points should be tossed out. Head-to-head, first-past-the-line, last-person-standing competition is relevant. The rest are not - and boring and poncey (?) besides.

So, no more dressage (there's show-jumping for true traditionalists), diving, autistic swimming, double-diving, surfing, dumb-as-rocks skateboarding, etc. Since gymnastics is apparently popular in America and other gulags, it should have its own place as a traditional demonstration (ahem) "sport".
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

What he said.

Anything judged on "artistic merit" is not a sport.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:40 am
Me? I'm just pointing out that horse cavalry became irrelevant in the face of barbed wire, trenches, and machine guns.
Hell, sharp and pointy weapons like battle-axes, spears, lances, swords, and bows-and-arrows all became irrelevant over time, what with the invention of armor and gunpowder, and the development of other weapons that used them while keeping you out of stabbing range.

But even today, any Marine with the rank of corporal (pay grade E-4) or above is allowed to carry the Marine sword when in dress uniform, and the modern army infantryman is still issued a knife and a bayonet, and his weapon has a specific place on which to mount it.  So sharp, pointy weapons aren't completely irrelevant, at least not yet.

And remember too that even in WWII the US still had the Army Mule Corps, and most of the German Army was non-mechanized — meaning they depended on literal horse-power to get their supplies and move their matériel.  So maybe horsemanship isn't completely irrelevant either.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:

But I'll agree with that other chap to the extent that all Olympic "games" that are decided by judges awarding points should be tossed out. Head-to-head, first-past-the-line, last-person-standing competition is relevant. The rest are not - and boring and poncey (?) besides.

So, no more dressage (there's show-jumping for true traditionalists), diving, autistic swimming, double-diving, surfing, dumb-as-rocks skateboarding, etc. Since gymnastics is apparently popular in America and other gulags, it should have its own place as a traditional demonstration (ahem) "sport".
So MEade--would you then also discard any sports where technique is a factor that is scored, and even improper technique could disqualify you--things like types of wrestling and martial arts? Hell, even in swimming an improper kick can get the winner disqualified.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:03 am
So maybe horsemanship isn't completely irrelevant either.
Why are you banging on about sharp weapons? (see below for their place).
Mules and Wehrmacht dray-horses are nothing to do with dressage (which was the entire point). Those animals aren't poncing about hippety-hopping with some geezer on board but getting on with some work. Eventing has two other relevant displines - cross-county and show-jumping. Those are fine and dandy.

Big RR - you rascal you! "would you then also discard any sports where technique is a factor that is scored, and even improper technique could disqualify you--things like types of wrestling and martial arts? Hell, even in swimming an improper kick can get the winner disqualified"

Technique? WGAD? Wrestling and judo are ultra-boring and worthless but I suppose they do at least involve some standard task achievement (such as a pin in wrestling). But yes, toss 'em both out and the Olympics would be more popular than ever - we'd be able to see more of real sports without wasting time on those.

And fencing - Lord what's the point (aha!) of that rubbish? Two geezeres or geezettes rushing toward each other shouting and banging into each other - with some pretending a bit of a stick poked someone in any significant way. Now take off the protective gear and give them sharp/pointed blades and it might produce some real epic sword fighting.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Some ludicrous rubbish comments here on what constitutes ‘legitimate’ sport. From folks with couch potato fitness levels (compared to any of the athletes, including the paralympians) who couldn’t win a contest in any of the sports discussed - not by the faster/farther measure, nor by the artistic merit measure.

Conversations like this are a source of much hilarity for me. Bonus points for that, at least. Gold medal!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:30 pm
And fencing - Lord what's the point (aha!) of that rubbish? Two geezeres or geezettes rushing toward each other shouting and banging into each other - with some pretending a bit of a stick poked someone in any significant way. Now take off the protective gear and give them sharp/pointed blades and it might produce some real epic sword fighting.
I bet you'd want to bring back pistol dueling as well ... with real bullets rather than wax bullets or paintballs.

And for the record, there are THREE different disciplines in Olympic fencing.  The one you ridiculed is either 'foil' or 'epee', in which the weapon is a stabbing weapon (no cutting edge on the blade).  The difference lies in the scoring zones and weight of the weapons (the epee is heavier, up to a maximum of 775 grams as opposed to a 500 gram maximum for the foil) — hits/touches (touchés) for foil must be on the torso only, above the waist, with the tip of the weapon.  And there is an order of attack, if you will.  An attack, if parried, is over, and the attacker must be prepared for a riposte — a counterattack — from the opponent rather than just press on blindly.  It's a true martial art, not just two guys stabbing wildly at one another like Brutus et al. trying to perforate Caesar on the floor of the Roman Senate.

Epee opens up the entire body above the waist, including head, arms, and legs.  Again, points are scored only with the tip of the weapon, but there is no 'right of way' system for scoring in effect.

The third one is saber.  This again calls for 'right of way' for an attack to score points, and the target zone is only the upper body above the waist, including arms.  But since the saber is an edged weapon (although blunted for safety), the entire blade may be used to score points, not just the tip.

Sounds to me like what you want is the hack-and-slash of the saber with the target zone and free-wheeling, no right of way attitude of the epee — and, of course, real blood and other assorted mayhem.  Maybe something like a pirate wielding a cutlass in one of those old swashbuckler movies, eh, matey?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:44 pm
Conversations like this are a source of much hilarity for me. Bonus points for that, at least. Gold medal!
That's the spirit! :ok

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:

But table tennis is ok, since its scored? And archery?? What say we add cornhole and bocci, too.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And don't forget the shooting events (they even do air rifle), not to mention race walking. FWIW, I don't really care what sports are included--I'll watch the sports I enjoy, and avoid the ones I don't.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Oh that is so sad. Smart folks should know that subjective is not remotely the same as objective.

"Judges" don't "score" any of those things. The players score the points/goals/bullseyes/whatever. Objective

Not remotely the same as a bunch of nobodies with one saying that "This dive was worth 9" while the guy sitting next to them says it was only worth 7.5. Subjective

(And yes there are referees, umpires, linesmen, etc to enforce and interpret whether the scoring was according to the rules but no they don't decide who won by casting their votes. Except for most boxing matches)

Boxing should be out too - banned from the planet for life because it's nothing short of assault with a figleaf of legality. Same category as smoking

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Dude, that’s my point. Based on your analysis (objective scoring only), table tennis and bocce and cornhole are all allowable Olympic sports, while dressage and gymnastics and diving are not.

“Sport” does not only have one definition, nor is it defined by a single attribute. Being narrow-minded is even sadder than whatever my alleged offense was.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I haven't seen it but I can't imagine anything more exciting than Olympic cornhole competition. I bet those athletes are some of the most physically fit people on the planet. I can only imagine the workouts they must endure to get to their peak fitness.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And by way of what's right with the Olympics, this story.

Jamaican Hansle Parchment won the 110m hurdles but he nearly went home empty handed. For whatever reason he got on the wrong bus at the Olympic Village and ended up at the rowing venue. If he had jumped on the bus back to the Village and then caught the right bus to the track, he would have missed the final. A Japanese volunteer dipped into her own pocket and found the cash for a taxi so he could make his race.

After he'd won Parchment found his way back to the rowing venue and the young woman and repaid her, showed her his gold medal and gave her a Jamaican team shirt. Every now and then we need a reminder that most humans are basically good people. Watch the video: in some ways it's life affirming.