One Picture to explain "What's Wrong with the Olympics"

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Long Run

Re: One Picture to explain "What's Wrong with the Olympics"

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 am
I know I'm old so my opinion doesn't really matter
And you're a man . . . and you're white, strike three on having an opinion that matters.

At the risk of another strike out, I agree that I have never seen or had a thought of any tattoo that I would want forever. I have a hard time thinking of even a henna tattoo that would fade. And the days of being unique with your tattoo are long gone.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I have tattoos, discrete and not visible when wearing my daily attire.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I have no tattoos. I have scars (surgeries, injuries, etc.). If you want a tat, get a tat. I don't have to like it but it is also not my body. My youngest and middle kids have tattoos. I barely notice them, really.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gob--That's how mine is as well; but then I grew up in a time when the only people tattooed were sailors and carnival workers.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Fair play. The only thing that gives me pause for though on mine is how bloody common they've become. :-)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

You could always embellish them to make them less common.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Then there were the guys who thought they were being edgy getting tattoos of Chinese characters, when what they thought meant "strong leader" actually said "eater of small rodents".
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If you really want to get a tattoo in a foreign language, you need a good friend you can trust to go with you and translate it before it is started. Ditto for other symbols as I think it is important to fully understand the implications of what you are wearing (and why anyone would get a tattoo without such an understanding is beyond me).

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 am
I know I'm old so my opinion doesn't really matter but an arm full of tattoos is overkill. Anything more than that is beyond stupid. I don't get it. You used to have to go the the carnival to see a tattooed lady. Now you have to go to a carnival to get away from them.

Back when I was a young 'un, you'd have difficulty getting hired anywhere if you had a visible tattoo. Nowadays, the police even have arms full of them. And neck tattoos are ugly no matter what the picture is. I can't figure out why anyone would think to themselves, "My neck needs a picture of something to be permanently etched on it for everyone to see for the rest of my life".

Weird....
You're the one drooling over Skin & Ink magazine, then?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:30 pm
I see so many young people these days sporting very extensive tattoos and I think, "I'd like to live another 50 years just to see what the retirement homes are gonna look like." And then I think, "Nah, I really don't wanna know."
And... What will the staff think of a tatt that can be misconstrued when they hit the "the home" at 80. One of my daughters-in-law lost her sister suddenly, at 40, a few years ago. She now sports a small tattoo on her forearm with her sister's name and a heart.

And then there's that old story of the guy with the tattoo that says NO REGERTS, or Pat Paulson's spoof tattoo when he was on the Smother's Brothers show: BORN TOO LOOSE.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

FWIW, who gives a shit what they think? My tattoo is of my last dog who died 3 years ago; if they think it means I am into bestiality, shame on them.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I saw a young lady who had a tattoo of an airplane on her forearm. I guessed it was a Swift. She said I was the first person to correctly identify it. Her grandfather had given her rides in his Swift when she was little. The Swift is a low wing tail dragger. Pretty rare today.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the poisonous atmosphere of political and social discourse has infected discussions about the Olympics, where Simone Biles's decision to pull out of competition has been met by some incredible vile reactions, split fairly evenly between those who vilified her not continuing to compete when she was probably risking serious injury or death, and those who slammed her for not stepping back months ago, because she must have known then that she wasn't going to be up to the task.

I think there should be a new rule - unless you have won as many Olympic medals as the athlete in question, you don't get to have an opinion about their decision to pull out of competition.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Simone Biles said she got the ‘twisties.’ Gymnasts immediately understood. (Story from WaPo.)

And here's an even better description, from someone who has been there, done that, got the concussion (and woke up confused, a day later, in the ICU).
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Sunisa Lee on the unevens OMG!!!!!!!!!
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I followed the FB link (Econoline's second) and found this comment a level or two down:
TJ Hickman
Todd Henry I’ll bring in an example from another dangerous sport. This is an account of the 1994 Formula 1 San Marino Grand Prix in which rookie driver Roland Ratzenberger was killed in qualifying Saturday and 3 times World Champion Ayrton Senna, generally considered the GOAT of motorsports, would die in the race on Sunday.
“[Senna] found Sid Watkins, who took him outside and told him Ratzenberger was clinically dead. Senna was devastated. Watkins said: “Ayrton broke down and cried on my shoulder.” The two men were extraordinarily close and Watkins regarded him as family. He realised then that Senna had not been in close proximity to a death before. Watkins was one of Britain’s most famous surgeons and was used to it but he was still deeply upset.
Watkins said to him as he was crying on his arm: “Ayrton, why don’t you withdraw from racing tomorrow? I don’t think you should do it. In fact why don’t you give it up altogether? What else do you need to do? You have been world champion three times, you are obviously the quickest driver. Give it up and let’s go fishing.”
Watkins recalls Senna’s response in his book Life at the Limit: “Sid there are certain things over which we have no control. I cannot quit. I have to go on.” Watkins recalls that those were the last words he ever spoke to him. “
For the rest of the weekend Senna was noted to be out of sorts, not himself, and not wanting to race. On the seventh lap while leading the race and pulling away from the rest of the field at a pace the other drivers would struggle to match, he made a slight mistake at 190 mph, went wide in a turn, hit the wall, and was killed almost instantly.
If he had chosen not to race that day, or if he had just decided right then and there to retire from the sport entirely, I don’t think his GOAT status would have been diminished in the world of motorsports.
https://web.archive.org/...//8w.forix.c ... a1994.html
I'm not a great F1 follower, but I remember that weekend. For Americans who are more likely to follow NASCAR, remember when Dale Earnhardt died at Daytona. Basically Senna decided to do the bold thing - I can handle this - and maybe as a result, died. Biles was not feeling great and did the sensible thing and neither died, nor fell off and hurt herself badly and, for all those who say she let the team down, allowed someone else who was at least on the night more competent than she, to score the points necessary to medal.

Certainly there have been some vile reactions as Scooter described but I think I have been somewhat pleased to see that most reactions have been positive (at least in the places I look) maybe because Naomi Osaka to some extent paved the way.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:24 am
Certainly there have been some vile reactions as Scooter described but I think I have been somewhat pleased to see that most reactions have been positive (at least in the places I look) maybe because Naomi Osaka to some extent paved the way.
Just to balance the sheets, I’ve been reading articles all over from National Review to Daily Mail to New York Times and also comments threads on Facebook posts. The majority of comments I’ve seen have been disgusting, including some that assert Biles and Osaka are proof of the inferiority of blacks to cope in positions that are challenging. (Never mind they are both better athletes than 99.999% of all humans who ever drew breath.)

It’s nice that in your bubble you’ve seen all positive response (where do you watch/read?) but I think it’s important to know that you aren’t getting the full picture.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm sure there is plenty of that bullshit--the country has more than its share of assholes, but I saw Simone Biles interviewed this morningand she said she has received a lot of positive mail she was grateful for, so I'm glad there is significant support for her.

Personally, I got a lot of respect for her when she stayed on the floor cheering her team on, bringing them chalk, etc. She just did one of the most difficult things she ever had to do in her gymnastics career, but rather than run and hide she stayed and cheered her teammates on, giving them whatever support she could. It couldn't have been easy, but the fact that she did it shows what kind of person she is, and she deserves all our respect.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:49 am
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:24 am
Just to balance the sheets, I’ve been reading articles all over from National Review to Daily Mail to New York Times and also comments threads on Facebook posts. The majority of comments I’ve seen have been disgusting, including some that assert Biles and Osaka are proof of the inferiority of blacks to cope in positions that are challenging. (Never mind they are both better athletes than 99.999% of all humans who ever drew breath.)
I looked at National Review. Under the 'Olympics' tab there are six articles essentially on the Biles issue. Of these three are definitely supportive (titles such as When You Understand What Happened to Simone Biles, It Makes Sense and In Defense of Simone Biles). The other three are neutral. And the 20 comments that I looked at were 16:2:2 positive:anti:neutral (I actually counted).

I don't expect to find useful or interesting comments in the Daily Mail. There was a disgusting piece by that turd of a 'man' Piers "Snowflake" Morgan - he has no business calling anyone out for 'quitting' because he famously walked off the set of Good Morning Britain because one of the other presenters had the temerity to disagree with him on the subject of P Harry and M Markle. I drafted (but did not post) a paragraph about it earlier today but I did not have the stomach to link it.

NYT has been mostly supportive. I don't recall comments.

Facebook I mostly see what my friends have to say and thankfully I am thus insulated from much of the sewage which flows freely there.
It’s nice that in your bubble you’ve seen all positive response (where do you watch/read?) but I think it’s important to know that you aren’t getting the full picture.
Why don't you read what I wrote? You took the trouble to quote it.

Gob

Post by Gob »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:48 am

Why don't you read what I wrote? You took the trouble to quote it.

Misery loves company, and if you go seeking out the worse in people to reinforce your own prejudices you will always find it.