Got a new exercise bike

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
ex-khobar Andy

Got a new exercise bike

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

It's a Schwinn ic4. What I like about is that it feels rock solid even with my 210 lbs (15 stone in the old money) (soon, very soon, to be less) pounding away on it. And, unlike the bikes in the gym I was going to before all this stuff hit, it has a magnetic resistance which I can dial up to exactly where I want it. The gym bikes had a friction resistance so you had to guess how it was last time if you wanted to increase it.

So with an iPad tuned to some bike ride along the Danube or some decent music I can do a reasonably active 30 minutes and it passes quickly. A few weeks more and I'll be up to an hour at a time.

eddieq

Re: Got a new exercise bike

Post by eddieq »

Nice. Enjoy it! I am working on getting back to 15 stone. I have about 5 pounds to go.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Nice, I use a bike at the gym, before and after my weights sessions.

No weight goal for me, I'm pretty happy at my current weight, (14 stone(ish) or usually between 196 to 204 lbs @ 6'1")
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Honestly I’m more about how I feel than the number on the scale. It (the weight) is an indicator of how I’m doing with my regime. I feel (and look) pretty good around 200 to 205 pounds. I blew up to around 220 leading up and through my family vacation. It’s coming back off (just not as quickly as it went on).

Anyway - enjoy the new bike sir!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Looks like it can hold a fair amount of clothes 8-)

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Amazing how exercise bike have improved. This one even has real bicycle pedals (even if a generation out dated) and a real bicycle seat.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:33 pm
Amazing how exercise bike have improved. This one even has real bicycle pedals (even if a generation out dated) and a real bicycle seat.

snailgate
I dare say that if one wished to, they could upgrade those pedals to a clipless design ... but then you need special shoes.

And as Long Run alluded to, a lot of exercise equipment (not just bicycles) are purchased with all the best intentions but, as one's motivations start to flag, end up getting pushed off into a corner to become the base of a Jenga tower of boxes, clothes, and what-not.  Needing to have to put on special garb to do your half-hour exercise would only hasten the arrival of that moment.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Post by dales »

Does it have a bell on the handlebars?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The pedals one way allow me to use regular sneakers with a toe clip or, the other way, cyclist cleats. I understand that there are several versions of those cleats so they also supply a little bag of them; you buy the shoe and insert the cleats. I have not bothered to do this and can see no reason to do so.

No bell, nor headlights. I understand LR's clotheshorse comment but it's kind of one reason I didn't mind spending $1000 on this thing: if I had bought a cheap one for $250 I'd feel less guilty if it became part of the general junk accumulation in the basement. We'll see.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Wearing pedals allows you to pull as well as push when you ride. You get a more even stroke on the crank, and ultimately more power.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I agree, I don't like riding and exer-bike or actual bike unless it has clips or cleats. Nice that your's came with both, EKA.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:24 pm
No bell, nor headlights.
But surely streamers and a little basket up front?
GAH!

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

No bell, nor headlights.
You damned kids think you are immortal. I hope you at least have a helmet.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:42 pm
I hope you at least have a helmet.
Pretty sure XKA wears a helmet all the time.
GAH!