and they call the Taliban medieval?

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
liberty

Re: and they call the Taliban medieval?

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:03 pm
Or Lib, was it that, at some time, you recommended or counseled someone that having an abortion was the best choice in a situation, and then later regretted it and hoped you were wrong because it conflicted with your (and your wife's) personal views on abortion? That's what I read into what you wrote.
That part is correct, but I have always been somewhat ambiguous about abortion; sometimes, death is better than life. I love my wife, but sometimes she is one-dimensional in her thinking. She once said Hitler was a coward because he committed suicide. But we don’t know that considering his superiority complex; he could have killed himself to deny his enemies total victory.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:56 pm
I’m pretty sure liberty has shared the details of the situation here before (or maybe it was CSB?) so I just want to weigh in with a vote for he doesn’t have to discuss it again if he doesn’t want to. Painful stuff, as I recall.
Pretty smart, too bad you gave up law.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

liberty wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:16 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:56 pm
I’m pretty sure liberty has shared the details of the situation here before (or maybe it was CSB?) so I just want to weigh in with a vote for he doesn’t have to discuss it again if he doesn’t want to. Painful stuff, as I recall.
Pretty smart, too bad you gave up law.
I’m relatively intelligent and was pretty good at law, but there are things I’m better at which are less destructive to my health.

Rather than an issue of intelligence, it is my curse of empathy and an excellent memory - I cannot forget my own traumas, nor the traumas of many people I have worked with or been friends with or even just acquainted with on the internet. When someone shares their story of anguish with me, I never forget.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I should add that even though I disagree with you on pretty much everything you post, and find some of it fairly répugnant, I keep you and your wife and family in my thoughts as I know your path is not an easy one and it is commendable that you have stayed the course.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

The NY Times today has an interesting op-ed by Tomas B Edsall, describing a big shift in the USofA on abortion since the 70's. He cites numbers that show Repubs and Dems were both pretty evenly split on the issue, with more repubs in the middle. In '71 the Southern Baptist Convention approved this official position: We call upon Southern Baptists to work for legislation that will allow the possibility of abortion under such conditions as rape, incest, clear evidence of severe fetal deformity and. . . damage to the emotional, mental and physical health of the mother." In June of this year the same organization met in convention and declared: "We affirm that the murder of preborn children is a crime against humanity. . . . we humbly confess and lament any complicity. . .in not laboring with the power and influence we have to abolish abortion"

He goes on to build an argument that this shift is directly related to growing acceptance of white racism. Edsall quotes an email from Randall Balmer, prof of religion at Dartmouth "Opposition to abortion became a convenient diversion--a godsend really--to distract from what actually motivated their political activism: the defense of racial segregation in evangelical institutions."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/opin ... tives.html

FYI

snailgate.

Gob

Post by Gob »

A federal appeals court on Friday night allowed Texas to temporarily resume banning most abortions, just one day after clinics across the state began rushing to serve patients again for the first time since early September.

Abortion providers in Texas had been bracing for the 5th US court of appeals to act quickly, even as they booked new appointments and reopened their doors during a brief reprieve from the law known as Senate Bill 8, which bans abortions once cardiac activity is detected, usually around six weeks.

On Wednesday, the US district judge Robert Pitman, an appointee of Barack Obama, issued an order suspending the Texas law, which he called an “offensive deprivation” of the constitutional right to an abortion. It came in response to a lawsuit filed by the Biden administration, which warned that other GOP-controlled states could rush to adopt similar measures.

“From the moment SB8 went into effect, women have been unlawfully prevented from exercising control over their lives in ways that are protected by the constitution,” wrote Pitman.

But the New Orleans-based appeals court quickly granted Texas’s request to set aside Pitman’s order for now while the case is reviewed. It ordered the justice department to respond by Tuesday.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Unless of course they let Jerry watch.

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Of course that isn't really cricket in the same way that those little things you get at Halloween are not really Snickers bars. Next thing you know they'll let women of the opposite sex play cricket. And, dear God, rugby.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

No, you're thinking of Ares. No tongues there. :D It's all Greek to me.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Womens heartbeat law.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

rubato

Post by rubato »

:oops: :ok numbah one!