Cake off

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

Re: Cake off

Post by Gob »

Andy nailed it.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Give it a break love...
The Great British Bake Off has come under fire after its first vegan contestant had to use animal products during a technical challenge.

Freya Cox, 19, apologised to fans before the cake week episode was shown on Channel 4 for being unable to use a vegan recipe.

Miss Cox, a model from Scarborough, wrote a 'disclaimer' on Instagram, saying: 'I was desperate to show the world vegan baking is just as exciting with the hope to inspire people to give it a go.

'For obvious reasons I wasn't able to change the technical challenge as it would mean the whole show was unfair.'

Elisa Allen, director of animal welfare group Peta, branded the decision by producers 'disgraceful' and said it could compel contestants to 'violate their ethical, religious, or other principles'.

She added: 'We're in the midst of a vegan revolution, and the producers are taking the cake by not allowing contestants to 'veganise' recipes in the technical challenge.'

Using vegan products would 'enhance and enliven' the competition and inspire viewers to try alternative plant-based recipes, she said.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Seems like a childish decision. If she wants to put her vegan cake up against traditional in competition I see no reason why she should not be allowed to do so. Plenty of people are vegetarian or vegan and it would be an opportunity to show that their food can be just as tasty or nutritious as traditional.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I would think it depends on the rules of the competition. If the rules require people to bake a cake using a list of ingredients, then it would be only fair that she agree to use them or not compete. Also, I don't know abut the UK, but in the US, any such competitions are sponsored by a company that requires its product(s) to be used in the cakes; refusal to use them is grounds for disqualification.

I have no doubt that good vegan cakes (or gluten free cakes or non dairy cakes or ...) can be made, but perhaps competitions for those sort of baked goods can be made as well. Can you imagine someone in a vegan cake competition bitching because they could not use eggs or dairy products?

ETA: FWIW, years ago I was on a US game show, and prior to my arrival, I was provided with a complete list of the rules and I had to sign a statement that I would comply with them. I imagine this Cake off show would do the same thing.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The young lady understood:
'For obvious reasons I wasn't able to change the technical challenge as it would mean the whole show was unfair.'
The test in this case was for every cook to take a specific basket of ingredients and produce something with those ingredients. Not leave some out and replace them with other things.

If one person was allowed to do that, then the young lady is correct - it would not be fair on the competition

That's what free-choice cooking rounds are about - use what you like and produce your signature dish.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts