156 mph in a 65 limit

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
ex-khobar Andy

156 mph in a 65 limit

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Apparently Henry Ruggs III - a wide receiver for the Las Vegas Raiders - crashed his Corvette into a stationary SUV at some stop lights, and killed the SUV driver. HIs blood alcohol tested out at 0.161 grams per 100 mL. He was released on $150,000 bail. He was doing 156 a few seconds prior to the accident but apparently had slowed to 127 by the time of impact. He appears to have walked away which probably says something about the impact safety features of the Corvette.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... =editorial

He was 'released' by the Raiders. Not sure what that word means in this context. Is it the same as fired?

Scooter

Re: 156 mph in a 65 limit

Post by Scooter »

"What we have here is a young man who has never been in trouble before," Ruggs' attorney David Chesnoff told the court Wednesday
Well he certainly got started with a bang. From never in trouble to murder. (And I don't care that the law doesn't call it murder; I see anyone getting behind the wheel after drinking as acting with depraved indifference for human life, and they should be treated as such.)
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:54 pm
"What we have here is a young man who has never been in trouble before," Ruggs' attorney David Chesnoff told the court Wednesday
Well he certainly got started with a bang. From never in trouble to murder. (And I don't care that the law doesn't call it murder; I see anyone getting behind the wheel after drinking as acting with depraved indifference for human life, and they should be treated as such.)
He’s 22? Big whoop. Any trouble before he was 18 would be sealed from public exposure anyway, and his attorney may or may not be aware of that at this point. But even if he has zero juvenile record of trouble and discipline whether in the school setting or the juvenile justice system, it’s not saying much when your first act of ‘trouble’ is to annihilate somebody while driving drunk at insanely reckless high speed. He just ruined his life.

Should have smoked a bowl and ordered in take out food.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

As i understand the charge is a felony which could result in 20 years in prison. It's a pretty serious charge. He'll also likely get a significant suspension from the NFL pending the results of the trial. He has ruined his life.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Ugh I just read he killed a 23 year old girl and her dog, riding with her in her Toyota RAV4. :(
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:40 pm
He was 'released' by the Raiders. Not sure what that word means in this context. Is it the same as fired?
Yes, his services were terminated. According to the ESPN story, he injured his leg and was in a wheelchair at his court appearance. His girlfriend was also injured. The car he slammed into caught fire, killing the victim and her dog. This story is likely going to get worse, e.g., they just reported that the NFL has a ride service for its players to avoid this exact type of situation.

rubato

Post by rubato »

ex-khobar Andy wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 am
He was 'released' by the Raiders ..."

Dropped like he had leprosy and herpes at the same time.

yrs,
rubato

liberty

Post by liberty »

Don’t you feel sad when a God falls From power? Of course, he may not be convicted. I will be interested in seeing what the defense will be. Hopefully, we will know the outcome. Since he is black, the national mews may not cover it. But if the driver had been white, it would be a racist attack.
Last edited by liberty on Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I honestly don't know what's sillier, calling him a "God" (with a capital G, no less) or your last point.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 pm
I honestly don't know what's sillier, calling him a "God" (with a capital G, no less) or your last point.
If a white boy had killed a black girl, you wouldn’t immediately think racist and hold that opinion until proven differently?
So you’re one of the few who don’t consider sports stars to be Gods set above normal humans?

How about the attack on the Christmas parade? Do you think there could be a racist element there?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

liberty wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:41 pm

How about the attack on the Christmas parade? Do you think there could be a racist element there?
From all appearances that seems to have been carried out by a person with some kind of mental defect (not rising to the level of affirmative legal defense) engaged in habitual offending. Most recently he ran over a baby mama, but in the past he’s shot one of his nephews in a fight over a cell phone. Just your average habitual offender piece of garbage and those come in all colors, more of them white than black as FBI statistics bear out.

In general I am an enthusiastic supporter of criminal justice reform and of progressive prosecutors, but this Milwaukee DA’s office screwed the pooch on this case - horrifically. Low bails are for non-violent offenders, not repeat violent offenders with a history of bail jumping. I suspect an assistant DA is losing a job over this one.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If a white boy had killed a black girl, you wouldn’t immediately think racist and hold that opinion until proven differently?
Not under these circumstances, a DUI incident and accident at these speeds.
So you’re one of the few who don’t consider sports stars to be Gods set above normal humans?
No, I see them as exceptional athletes who worked hard to get where they are, but hardly and sort of god (small or capital G).
Why? Many black people celebrate Christmas; indeed many are Christians. Christianity and Christmas are not racial events.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:57 pm
liberty wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:41 pm

From all appearances that seems to have been carried out by a person with some kind of mental defect (not rising to the level of affirmative legal defense) engaged in habitual offending. Most recently he ran over a baby mama, but in the past he’s shot one of his nephews in a fight over a cell phone. Just your average habitual offender piece of garbage and those come in all colors, more of them white than black as FBI statistics bear out.

In general I am an enthusiastic supporter of criminal justice reform and of progressive prosecutors, but this Milwaukee DA’s office screwed the pooch on this case - horrifically. Low bails are for non-violent offenders, not repeat violent offenders with a history of bail jumping. I suspect an assistant DA is losing a job over this one.
If he gets anything less than life without parole, everyone involved in the trial except his attorney should commit suicide in shame.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:13 pm
Since he is black, the national mews may not cover it
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

He killed her DOG! String him up!

Until last (Wed) night's TV news, I'd never heard that THAT night is second only to New Years Eve for DUI incidents. Of course Ruggs' DUI was early Tuesday morning, so that statistic does not apply.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:38 am
liberty wrote:
I will respond to this foolishness, but not now; I don’t have the time.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:06 pm
I will respond to this foolishness, but not now; I don’t have the time.
No time?  Why?  Someone have a Black Friday sale on ammunition?

No rush; we know at least 80% of whatever you post will be cut-and-pasted — or in your case, chewed and regurgitated — from somewhere else anyway.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:38 am
liberty wrote:
You might lie, but I don't; I've said this before, but I'll repeat it, I don't use code So-called dog whistles or anything else. I say what I think; if you need an explanation, ask. So if you think I use dog whistles, you are lying to yourself. If you pay attention to what I write, you will see that I am always consistent, telling the truth as I see it. It appears to me, and I'm not the only one, that thinks wrongs done to white people are just not covered by the media as much as wrongs done to black people or minorities. Maybe people are not interested in what happens to white people. Does not that seem racist to you?

Here's an example of media bias. Remember the street attacks on Asians a while back. The assumption was that white racists were attacking people of Chinese ancestry; now, that was a dog whistle; no one wanted to look beyond that assumption. I am not saying that whites don't do such things, but I suspect they are not the majority. There is no shortage of YouTube videos showing young blacks committing unprovoked assaults.

An overdue conversation about black-on-Asian violence (msn.com)

The frequency and brutality of anti-Asian violence have made "Stop Asian Hate" a popular hashtag and protest slogan this year. Still, America has yet to grapple with a core part of the problem: black-on-Asian crime and racism.

Two of the latest possible hate crimes took place in New York City. On Tuesday, a female black suspect struck a 31-year-old Chinese woman in the head with a hammer in midtown Manhattan. Two Fridays ago in East Harlem, a black man viciously attacked 61-year-old Yao Pan Ma as he was collecting used cans and bottles. As Ma fell to the ground, the attacker stomped on his head multiple times.

Tragically, such horrendous crimes have now become commonplace in major urban centers. Notable attacks have occurred in San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, New York, and Seattle. Often, the victims are defenseless, the attacks unprovoked, and the culprits not white.

Political leaders, activists, and the media have widely attributed the rise in hate crimes to former President Donald Trump's controversial use of the terms "China virus" or "kung flu." But did Trump really inspire racially motivated violence in heavily Democratic areas and from demographic groups that overwhelmingly opposed him? His accusers have no answer.
History, however, presents inconveniences that cannot be ignored. Before the pandemic and before Trump’s presidency, anti-Asian violence had existed in major urban locales. It looked disturbingly like today’s attacks. Instead of crying racism, local leaders of these deep-blue areas used to bend over backward to deny any possibility of a racial motive. National leaders used to pay no attention.

In 2018, when neither ordinary people nor Trump had heard of the coronavirus, blacks committed more hate crimes against Asians more than any other race, according to national hate crime statistics compiled by the Justice Department. Figures for 2020 are not yet available.

A previous wave of despicable anti-Asian violence in the San Francisco Bay Area is also illuminating. In January 2010, six black male teenagers kicked and beat 83-year-old Huan Chen after he disembarked at a light rail bus stop in San Francisco. They bashed his head to the ground and fled the scene laughing as Chen laid bleeding. He died two months later.
In April of the same year, two black teenagers punched 59-year-old Tian Sheng Yu in downtown Oakland. They also assaulted his son before and afterward. The elder Yu died from his injuries. The criminals later said they just "felt like hitting someone."
A survey conducted by the San Francisco Police Department in 2008 revealed that 85% of the city’s violent crimes were black-on-Asian, a figure officials in this notoriously liberal city confronted with "squeamishness."

In response to the horrific attacks of 2010, then-San Francisco Police Chief George Gascon, now district attorney of Los Angeles, insisted that the attacks against Asians were mere "crimes of opportunity," not instances of racial targeting.
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi did not appear to notice and certainly did not blame white supremacists for the crimes taking place in her district, as she did earlier this year. While she, President Joe Biden, and other Democrats have eagerly labeled today’s anti-Asian attacks as manifestations of hate, they see no irony in Democratic politicians' abject refusal to do the same before Trump's presidency. Just as in the past, they will not mention the race of today’s nonwhite assailants.
The discomfort with even saying the word "black" makes their "Stop Asian Hate" rhetoric appear utterly phony to many Asian Americans, who are all too familiar with violent assaults from black perpetrators.

Though the crimes are not always inspired by hate, they are often intertwined with a criminal's version of racial profiling, which targets the victim’s smaller size, poor English skills, likelihood of carrying cash, and reluctance to report crimes to the police.
They also take place in the backdrop of widespread black-on-Asian racial epithets and harassment that mainstream society has ignored or been ignorant of until this pandemic. In my own experience, I have stood next to an elderly Chinese woman in inner-city Oakland as black teenagers crept up behind her to scream their imitation of the Chinese language. The victim was my late grandmother. I have seen a black woman berate an Asian man as a "f***ing Chinese person" on a Greyhound bus traveling between New York and Washington, D.C. The recipient of the verbal abuse was Korean. I have witnessed a young black woman loudly proclaim on a Manhattan-bound No. 7 subway train from Queens: "Man, I f***ing hate Indian people. They smell, too, because I know they don’t wash." Her targets were a South Asian family in traditional garb, with children in tow.

Almost always, bystanders of all colors, including Asians, look away in silence, but the racism on public display makes it crucial to conduct an inquiry about racial intent in black-on-Asian crimes committed with no profit or other apparent motive.
Too many leaders have refused to engage in such inquiries. Today, America must not only inquire but engage in a long overdue, honest conversation about the prevalence of black crime and the existence of racism among nonwhite Americans. The goal is not to vilify an entire race for the crimes of individuals, nor is it to absolve individuals of other races who commit racist acts. It is to find a pathway to reconciliation and possible solutions for preventing the tragedies that befell Ma, Chen, Yu, and far too many others.
Ying Ma is the author of Chinese Girl in the Ghetto.

Tags: Opinion, Beltway Confidential, Blog Contributors, Crime, Asian Americans, Racial Discrimination, Racism
Original Author: Ying Ma