David is a bloke.

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Guinevere

Re: David is a bloke.

Post by Guinevere »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:19 pm
I said “prefer” not expect. I just think it’s silly. If people have preferred pronouns, they can tell me.
Thus the choice to wear a name tag or add preferred pronouns to an e-mail signature.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I read in a psychology textbook once that a study had concluded the most beautiful word to a person’s ears is their own name.

I made it a habit over the years to use the names of people I was talking with maybe a bit more than is usual, but I found it did work to better connect with clients and opposing counsel and friends, too.

Seems that approach would solve a lot in terms of connecting all kinds of people without having to worry so much about remembering everyone’s pronouns. (I think many oldsters are just put off about more things to remember.)

G’night, Scooter. Gob. Guin. Joe Guy. Econo. Crackpot. et al.

G’night, John Boy.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Scooter wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:36 pm
No one is preferring that everyone wear a label, either.
A name tag used at work is an identity label. It appears there are at least a few people that prefer that we all wear labels - at least at work - otherwise this discussion would never have started. I suspect that most people who like the idea of pronoun labels would have no problem with everyone wearing them even if they're not at a workplace.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:51 pm
.....I made it a habit over the years to use the names of people I was talking with maybe a bit more than is usual, but I found it did work to better connect with clients and opposing counsel and friends, too......
I like being called by my name. In most cases it gives more of an appearance the person using it is interested in what I have to say and has my attention. I always try to use a person's name when addressing them in conversation and when meeting or leaving them.

Of course my biggest problem is that I'm terrible at remembering names. When I first meet someone, unless they have an unusual name, like Professor Flipdick or something odd like that, I immediately forget their name. I've been that way all of my life and it's a fault of mine that I've never been able to fix. And then, even those whose name I vaguely remember, I find a way to screw things up. I might say something like, "yes I remember you Professor Dickflip....

I guess I don't have the right genes for remembering names. If I had to wear a badge, I'd write on it, "Sorry. I've probably already forgotten your name. I suppose the pronoun badge would help me in that way - as long as a badge had a person's actual name on it..

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:44 am
A name tag used at work is an identity label. It appears there are at least a few people that prefer that we all wear labels - at least at work - otherwise this discussion would never have started.
This "discussion" started because one workplace added an additional piece of information to a pre-existing nametag. How that translates into "some people think that everyone should be wearing labels" is an operation of your mind that I have not the least interest in attempting to parse.
Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:50 pm
People who don't want to be mistaken for being what they aren't would prefer that everybody wear a label.
Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:44 am
I suspect that most people who like the idea of pronoun labels would have no problem with everyone wearing them even if they're not at a workplace.
Your retreat away from your initial statement is noted. Still bullshit, even so.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:25 am
This "discussion" started because one workplace added an additional piece of information to a pre-existing nametag. How that translates into "some people think that everyone should be wearing labels" is an operation of your mind that I have not the least interest in attempting to parse.
Nothing I've written translates to "some people think that everyone should be wearing labels".

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:22 pm
No. But if everyone who is willing does it, those whose pronouns might not be as obvious do not need to feel self-conscious about disclosing theirs.
Why would anyone be self-conscious of what they want to be called? Why does my telling people I'm a bloke , not that it's not obvious, affect anyone else?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Oh dear, Scooter can't be parsed . . . :D
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Uhh that is exactly what this thread is about
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:41 pm
The only objectively fair, simple, workable solution is to merge all third-person pronouns into one form (probably "they"), much the way that the singular/plural/formal/informal ("ye"/"you"/"thou"/"thee") second-person pronouns all became "you".
Refer to everyone as "it." Problem solved.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

The "He/Him/His" on the badge pictured in the OP seems awfully tiny; you'd have to be pretty close to David to be able to read it.

:idea: Maybe some people should wear color-coded arm bands so you could tell from across the room? ;) :o :evil:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Gob wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:25 am
Why would anyone be self-conscious of what they want to be called?
I couldn't possibly imagine. If the people in their lives are anything like the open, nonjudgmental types who comment on gender identity issues on this board, they certainly wouldn't be subjected to an unending barrage of ridicule and derision for expressing an unconventional gender identity. No one would be wagging a finger at them, lecturing them that "a man is a man, and a woman is a woman", or accusing them of wanting to tattoo a barcode on everyone's foreheads, or telling them that their pronoun should be "it". No sir, they wouldn't have to worry about any of that.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Econoline wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:06 pm
The "He/Him/His" on the badge pictured in the OP seems awfully tiny; you'd have to be pretty close to David to be able to read it.
It's a problem when a chap has to stare very hard at a lady's bosom to discern a name in bigger print. But using a magnifying glass to inspect the pronoun is going to lead to some misunderstandings
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

"I was just admiring your pronouns"

Gob

Post by Gob »

" they certainly wouldn't be subjected to an unending barrage of ridicule and derision for expressing an unconventional gender identity. No one would be wagging a finger at them, lecturing them that "a man is a man, and a woman is a woman", or accusing them of wanting to tattoo a barcode on everyone's foreheads, or telling them that their pronoun should be "it". "
There you go again, your little fantasies are getting more elaborate by the day....

What if, what with everybody who didn't need them wearing badges to say, "I'm a bloke, call me him/he/hetro/he-man," your poor scared unhappy woman-bloke felt; "it's not fair, everybody can wear badges saying "I'm a woman hear me roar," but I'm afraid to declare," wouldn't your badges be helping to oppress them? You evil person, imposing badges on people afraid to come out as "LGBTQWERTY"
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

If everyone can use whatever pronouns they want, does anyone ever pick "he/her/their"?
...or "they/him/eir"?
...or "she/nem/xyr"?
...or "they/xem/its"?
...or "ze/ver/nir"?
...or "ne/them/zir"?

Just curious. :shrug
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'm "pook".