Rise of the (politically correct) robots

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

Rise of the (politically correct) robots

Post by Gob »

A new trigger-warning detector which sound alarms when it detects offensive speech has been unveiled at Dubai Design Week.

The Themis is a lamp-sized device intended to 'moderate' debate in classrooms and universities and 'manifest political correctness' into a product.

The small device could even be used to police language at dinner parties and family gatherings and its developers have said it hopes that Themis will encourage 'self-critique'.

Zinah Issa, who unveiled the device in Dubai, told The Telegraph: 'Through the use of speech recognition and sound sensors we were able to program Themis to detect offensive terms - racial slurs, offensive jokes - through the microphone.

'Extremely bothersome alarms last approximately two minutes, after which Themis turns off, allowing an open, understanding discussion among people on the possible trigger matter and the potential reasons behind Themis's activation'.

The device is named for Themis, the Greek goddess of justice and social order.

Themis is being currently trialled in classrooms and universities with a view to a wider roll-out soon.

The design were unveiled at the Global Grad Show where students from across the Middle East and North Africa were invited to share their work.

The show, which takes place annually at the Dubai Design Week festival, was moved online this year due to the pandemic.

The graduate portion of the festival concluded yesterday.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Rise of the (politically correct) robots

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Hmm. Not sure about this. Themis was indeed the Goddess of Justice. She was a daughter of Uranus and Gaia. Gaia was Uranus's mother as well as his wife. That sort of thing might well have been commonplace among the Ancient Greeks, but I am deeply hurt, in fact microagressed, by the reminder of this sort of devilish not to say Satanic* union, and I think these things should be banned immediately, or at least renamed.

* (Ed - I told you not to say Satanic. Too late now.)

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well at least it's the right pronoun - them is

What a relief
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Terrible product, or worst product ever?
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

They should have named it Karen.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The designer is currently working on an attachment which will deploy two robotic arms to then seize the offending party and wash out their mouth with soap.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I guess the alarm would go off every time Themis called her father by his name.