When you gaze into the abyss

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

When you gaze into the abyss

Post by Gob »

Azeem Rafiq has apologised for using anti-Semitic slurs in a series of messages to a fellow cricketer on Facebook a decade ago.

The former Yorkshire spin bowler, 30, rocked the world of sport with allegations of racism in cricket at a damning parliamentary session on Tuesday.

Rafiq told MPs this week that racism had destroyed his career and pointed the finger at a number of high-profile individuals, but he has now been forced to confront his own past shortcomings after The Times uncovered an exchange in 2011 with former Warwickshire and Leicestershire player Ateeq Javid.

MailOnline can reveal that Rafiq made the offensive remarks about Atif Sheikh, an Asian cricketer who was playing for Derbyshire, who they accused of not paying a dinner bill because 'he is a Jew'.

Rafiq, then 19, wrote on Facebook: 'Hahaha he is a Jew. Probs go after my 2nds again.' He later added: 'How wrong is that? Only Jews do that sort of s***.'

Speaking to MailOnline, Rafiq admitted: 'I spoke to Atif today and apologised to him for what I said. He was very understanding. I told I'm I was incredibly sorry as I am to all those who may have been offended. I spoke to Atif on the phone and he accepted my apology.'

Sheikh has been approached for comment.

In a statement on Twitter yesterday, Rafiq apologised for his past remarks, saying he has deleted the exchange and that he is a 'different person today'.

He said: 'I was sent an image of this exchange from early 2011 today. I have gone back to check my account and it is me. I have absolutely no excuses. I am ashamed of this exchange and have now deleted it so as not to cause further offence.

'I was 19 at the time and I hope and believe I am a different person today. I am incredibly angry at myself and I apologise to the Jewish community and everyone who is rightly offended by this.'

In a later post, he added: 'At no point will I ever try and defend the indefensible. For those I have hurt I am sincerely sorry. I will continue to front up and own any more mistakes I have made.'

Reacting to Rafiq's anti-Semitic slurs, Board of Deputies of British Jews President Marie van der Zyl said: 'Azeem Rafiq has suffered terribly at the hands of racists in cricket so he will well understand the hurt this exchange will cause to Jews who have supported him.

'His apology certainly seems heartfelt and we have no reason to believe he is not completely sincere.'

Claudia Mendoza, co-chief executive of the Jewish Leadership Council, added: 'There's no doubt that this is massively awkward for Azeem Rafiq but he's taken full ownership, apologised, and undoubtedly - through his own experiences - learnt a lot about racism since then.'

The revelation comes after MPs today warned the England and Wales Cricket Board to get its house in order over 'institutional racism' in the sport following Rafiq's appearance.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Re: When you gaze into the abyss

Post by Long Run »

Gob wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:08 am

Rafiq, then 19,
Age doesn't excuse everything, but he sounds like he has another view at this point. I think most people would like to be able to go back and not say 10 or 20 or 200 of the meanest, stupidest things we ever said, especially those of our youth.