Dog's life

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Long Run

Dog's life

Post by Long Run »

eddieq

Re: Dog's life

Post by eddieq »

The dogs know this one. In face, they use it to their advantage. I recall sitting comfortably on the sofa only to have Xena hop up, run to the door, and bark like a crazy person. I got up to see "who was out there" and there was nobody. I turned to tell her she was a fool to find her snuggled into the warm spot I just vacated.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Speaking of dogs, I just got the Embark results back on my current wonderful rescue dog and the Universe has again decided to slap me in the face and demand that I re-examine my prejudices.

Yes she has 27.5% border collie genes - one parent a mix, one grandparent full border descended from two full border great grandparents. This accounts for the many border traits she exhibits, no doubt.

But she is also 30.9% American Pit Bull Terrier!! :shock: This must be why she is a serial killer of small mammals.

Still a very good girl. Hopefully if we are ever attacked by a APBT in the neighborhood she’ll hold her own.
Attachments
45D864BE-C40B-467A-9A17-00FBA3DC603F.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Prejudiced against APBTs? This is just another example of the inefficiency of depending on generalities of the bell curve. Otherwise known as racism.

Generally APBTs behave in such and such a manner. Generally Rotties behave in such and such a manner. Generally, beagles behave in such and such a manner. Generally. . .

But nobody has a general collection of dogs of a particular breed (exceptions allowed for breeders) Every dog is an individual and individual traits are more important than general breed characterizations, except for very vague physical qualities. I would be willing to bet that a pure breed beagle pup will be smaller than a Blood Hound when both are adults. But I would make no bets about which pup would be easier to live with. Even to the point that the beagle might have higher total vet bills over a life time. Individuals and individual environmental influence is always more important than pedigree.

Humans also.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Prejudiced against them because they are responsible for a very high percentage of disfiguring and fatal dog bites and attacks every year.

But yes each dog is an individual and should be taken thus. If I’d known her breed mix I might very well have ‘swept left’ on the Petfinder and missed out on a truly remarkable, wonderful little dog. She is hands down the best dog I’ve ever lived with and I’ve lived with some very good dogs.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

How long did it take you to teach her to do a headstand like that?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Econoline wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:23 am
How long did it take you to teach her to do a headstand like that?
I don’t have any idea why sometimes picture attachments go sideways like that. That’s her stealing my spot in bed which is what she does when she thinks I’m about to want it for myself lol. Must be the thug pit bull terrier in her!
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Poor old Ginger had another fit this morning, (5.30 am.) Woke me up, and peed on the bed during it. It's his first for 2 months, fortunately. Not a bad one, and he's back to his fat, stupid, self again now. Fingers crossed.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Woke me up, and peed on the bed during it.
You'll have to get yourself some of those magic absorbent knicks before Hen gets back, Gob. But old age will do that to you, so I'm told.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Poor Ginger boy. My sister just got a puppy, so dang cute, one sibling left, and I’m sooooo tempted!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Yes Guin, but dogs are such needful creatures. You can't leave out an extra day's kibble and come back after a long weekend and expect to find your home intact.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I’ve been dog sitting this weekend. Xena is not a huge fan of the activity level but she tolerates them well

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:27 am
Yes Guin, but dogs are such needful creatures. You can't leave out an extra day's kibble and come back after a long weekend and expect to find your home intact.
Precisely why I have not given in to the temptation. I prefer to be able to travel.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

0_JS223625152.jpg
Kept me sane over the past 21 months.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I beg to differ
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Crackpot wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:45 am
I beg to differ
Well, whatever it takes.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Crackpot wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:45 am
I beg to differ

:nana :nana :nana

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:10 am
Poor old Ginger had another fit this morning, (5.30 am.) Woke me up, and peed on the bed during it. It's his first for 2 months, fortunately. Not a bad one, and he's back to his fat, stupid, self again now. Fingers crossed.
Glad to know that your puppy is back to normal. :ok

But at first I thought you'd intercepted a message from you-know-who

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

:lol: