Cheese, Gromit

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Guinevere

Cheese, Gromit

Post by Guinevere »

I found this fabulous cheese at a local shop on Tuesday and just tried some tonight. So good all on its own. Will be fabulous in a charcuterie board, too:
Red Dragon cheese is a Welsh Cheddar with wholegrain mustard seeds and Welsh ale, coated in a bright red wax. This gourmet cheese combines the subtle sharpness and depth of natural mustard with the mild, piquant taste notes of the Welsh ale and traditional Cheddar.

Red Dragon is a buttery and spicy cheese with plenty of bite, but is not too hot, not only do the mustard seeds give Red Dragon its marvelous flavor, but also its texture. Red Dragon is aged for 3 months.
What are your favorite cheeses? I also love Humboldt Fog, St. Andre, and any kind of good creamy blue. My everyday cheese is any Vermont cheddar.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Re: Cheese, Gromit

Post by TPFKA@W »

Too many to name.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I've had that Welsh Dragon cheese, it's very nice. But give me a cave aged Stilton any day.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

My favorite? Ask my heart doc. He tells me they all have too much salt.

What I really miss is a sharp cheddar with a good cold crisp Jonathon apple.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I would rather die sooner than live without cheese. My cardiologist gave me a clean bill of health but did advise a low salt diet - I think that’s a standard thing for cardiologists, has one ever said ‘go forth and salt with abundance’?

I’m making an effort to limit takeaways which are almost always high in sodium, and have cut out most processed foods. But I still season my food. I need to live one day longer than my collie mix Riley - beyond that IDGAF.

For regular consumption I’m a big fan of a good Vermont extra sharp cheddar - with apple it is a nice balance of sin and virtue.

When I’m feeling hedonistic I go for a wheel of Camembert and a freshly baked roasted garlic batard. A little fig or other fruit preserves goes beautifully with Camembert.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Call me old fashioned, but I believe you won't find a more useful product than cheese from a can. Where else could a person find all those natural-sounding things in one food?

cheez wiz.jpeg
Ingredients:
Whey, Milk, Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Milk Protein Concentrate, Sodium Phosphate, Contains Less than 2% of Whey Protein Concentrate, Modified Food Starch, Salt Lactic Acid, Mustard Flour, Sodium Alginate, Worcestershire Sauce (Vinegar, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Sugar, Spices [Contains Celery], Tamarind, Natural Flavor), Sorbic Acid as a Preservative, Milkfat, Cheese Culture Annatto and Oleoresin Paprika (Color), Enzymes, Natural Flavor.

dales

Post by dales »

And I thought you were more of a Velveeta type.

(The late Herb Caen not withstanding)

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

dales wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:54 am
And I thought you were more of a Velveeta type.
I save Velveeta for special occasions. I serve it on Ritz crackers when I want to impress my guests. Velveeta & Ritz are highly complementary, especially when paired with a chilled can of unexpired Diet Coke.

I dress and look a lot like this when I serve Velveeta to my guests....

Man with class.jpg
Man with class.jpg (23.46 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:54 am
Call me old fashioned, but I believe you won't find a more useful product than cheese from a can. Where else could a person find all those natural-sounding things in one food?

Or in such a convenient, easy-to-use form?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

While I love cheese of all varieties, I'm particularly a fan of the blues, and especially like the tangy bite of Danish blue. For a sandwich I'll go for Jarslberg or Emmental, except in a hoagie or cheesesteak where there is no choice other than sharp provolone. For salads, feta or "Bulgarian white," and of course fresh "mutz" for a caprese. And because we are trash, my daughter and I make Velveeta (okay, the Aldi's store-brand knock-off) & jalapeno dip to eat with tortilla chips.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

my daughter and I make Velveeta (okay, the Aldi's store-brand knock-off) & jalapeno dip to eat with tortilla chips.
Might I suggest a cheap, mild, cheddar in place of the velveeta. It will melt almost as well, but provide a little cheese taste to the dip. My mom used to make macaroni and cheese with velveeta (or a knock off) and I always didn't like it (OK, it was better than the Kraft M&C in a box) until I experimented with other cheeses. It's worth a try even if you like your current version.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My trashy cheese dip of preference is Tostitos salsa con queso - it has real Monterey Jack cheese! (Plus lots of ingredients I can’t pronounce.) YUM!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

For in a jar processed "cheese" I really like this vegan option

This week's little piece of cheese delight is an aged white stilton with raspberry prosecco. Not sure how much I love it - I need to let it warm up when I try it again.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

When I fire up the raclette grill, I like to use raclette.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

All this talk about cheese, one compared to the other, etc. .... reminded me of this:

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Long Run wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:59 pm
When I fire up the raclette grill, I like to use raclette.
Hmmmmm raclette. We make that for family dinners a few times a year. So good! Cheese and potatoes are even better than cheese and bread (I think).