Kitchen maintenance advice wanted.

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Burning Petard

Kitchen maintenance advice wanted.

Post by Burning Petard »

There was a recipe for something called "Country Captain" in the NY Times for Feb 16 '22. Seems to be a traditional Southern USA dish that is described as a Dixie derivative of Chicken Curry by way of British Empire and the Caribbean. Re-enterpreted by Ligaya Mishan. It looks interesting and within my kitchen skills.

It calls for a paste of fresh ginger and garlic, made with a mortar and pestle. Or it can be approximated by chopping them both up very fine, or possibly buying it at your neighborhood Indian grocery. I do have such a tool in the right size, Marble, left over from my days in a chemistry lab. I remember the elaborate acid wash after using to prevent cross contamination.

I no longer have access to things like hyper-pure nitric acid. If I do this, how can I wash out any remnant of the garlic?

thanks, snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Kitchen maintenance advice wanted.

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It'll probably just work its way through you :ok
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I hope you were not using nitric acid to clean your marble mortar.

CaCO3 + 2HNO3 ==> Ca(NO3)2 + CO2 + H2O

It's more likely that your old chem lab mortar is agate not marble. Agate and dilute acid should be OK. Lemon juice works fine.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Just use a food processor or small coffee/spice grinder. You'll get a better result with a lot less hassle.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

The motor and apostle is actually less hassle for me than my small coffee grinder and I don't care for garlic flavor coffee.

The auto spell correct here was a delightful mis-adventure and I just could not change it to mortar and pestle.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You can likely find a pre-made ginger garlic paste in the Asian section of your local big grocery store, without trying to find an Asian market. Asian food is so mainstream now most big grocery stores have a decent sized section of the various commonly used components. And you could definitely order a jar from multiple places online.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan