Tokenism at its finest

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

Tokenism at its finest

Post by Gob »

and BOY did I misinterpret that headline...
NFL says all 32 teams must have minority offensive coach this season

The NFL announced on Monday that all 32 teams must have a minority assistant on their offensive staffs for the 2022 season, a new requirement under the league’s Rooney Rule.

The move to specifically address representation on the offensive side of the football is a direct acknowledgment that many of the league’s head coaches have come from the offensive ranks. In the 2022 hiring cycle alone, twice as many coaches (six) came from an offensive background as opposed to defense (three).

The pipeline for minorities on offense is lacking, as Steelers owner Art Rooney II reiterated on Monday.

“We recognize we have seen progress on some fronts,” said Rooney, chairman of the league’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee, “but we still have a way to go on other fronts.”

The NFL saw an increase in the number of people of color in all coaching positions from 35% in the 2020 season to 39% last season. There was an all-time high increase in defensive coordinators to 15, up by two; an increase in minority GMs (five to seven), and assistant GMs (three to six).

Teams will receive league funding toward the coach’s salary for up to two years. Overall, including women in all Rooney Rule requirements is designed to address under-representation of women in key football positions. The league believes this will “encourage the further identification and development of women candidates and the ability to provide them additional opportunity to interview for open positions.”

A total of 12 women coaches at the start of the 2021 season was an all-time high. Dasha Smith, the NFL’s chief administrative officer and one of the league’s highest-ranking women, noted that for the first time, a female candidate was interviewed for a general manager’s position this year.

Smith also said that virtual interviews will no longer be acceptable for head coach and general manager positions, and there will be specific requirements for candidates to become offensive assistants. Those would include at least three years of experience on the college or pro level.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... his-season
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Re: Tokenism at its finest

Post by Scooter »

How does putting in place a plan to create a career path to head coach for minorities constitute "tokenism"?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Simple--here in the good ole USofA it is generally assumed that only tokens will be permitted entry to this career path, and they will be at least 10x better than the whites on the same path. How many female head coaches have you seen during this men's basketball tourney called 'MARCH MADNESS"?

snailgate.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I think the goal should be to eliminate offensive coaches.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Was my first thought...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

You mean there are some coaches that aren't offensive? I've never had, or even met, one; ditto for gym teachers.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:33 pm
You mean there are some coaches that aren't offensive? I've never had, or even met, one; ditto for gym teachers.
:lol:

True dat. My boy quit high school football (which he loved to play) because the coaches were vile-mouthed racists. Good for him.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Any time I ever get into a discussion of hwo were the worst teachers I ever had (and here were afew), I always preface it by saying "Not counting the gym teachers...". My kids tell me gym teachers aren't like that anymore (perhaps a consequence of coed classes?), but I have my doubts; we have a gym teacher in our town who was sent to prison (maybe he's out now, but he's still on the sex offender list) for setting up a camera in the girl's locker room.