This sporting life

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

This sporting life

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Re: This sporting life

Post by Long Run »

Puncher was not in the race and was in the way, so the lead runner pushed him off the track first time around. Next time around, the puncher jumped into the race and delivered the blow. https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read ... d=11192448

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Click Gob's link and you'll see some asinine/idiotic comments; why they don't surprise me makes me very depressed.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

In conversations over the Oscar slap I was repeatedly told this is a cultural thing white people don’t understand and that their opinions shouldn’t frame the conversation- that last bit was a declaration by a black host on MSNBC.

So I’m not surprised by the comments to the video on YouTube and I worry that beyond the obvious racists, a lot of much more progressive thinking Americans are troubled by that aspect of the societal conversation about casual violence.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

At risk of being accused of being what I am not, has no one noticed the direction that rap and other derived forms of "thing" has taken over the past decades? The rise of incivility - ring a bell? It may seem a far stretch, but Trumpism itself is part of the slide into tribalism that is heralded by this general societal malaise. IMO. Gun violence - how's that working out for us?

Ubuntu seems to have no place in America and little more than lip-service here. The more the individual has been enshrined as god, the less cohesive our streets have become. Social media is part of it - youth (and that's 35 years and below where I am) has little interest in board games but prefers to play alone on a screen. It affects me, with hours spent facing a screen and less time out 'n about.

Time for Peperboom's Pensionere friendly Menu - penne al'arrabiata to die for - a few close friends - and wine. Drink up Shriner, as someone used to say.

I'm saying, why expect civility and decent standards of behaviour when the exact opposite is encouraged and rewarded throughout the land?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

At risk of being accused of being what I am not, has no one noticed the direction that rap and other derived forms of "thing" has taken over the past decades?
I recall when similar claims were made about the "evil" rock and roll--inciting sexual behavior, drug use, setting up of bad role models, etc (and FWIW, jazz had similar criticism lobbed at it in the early 1900s).And let's not forget, it all came from those immoral "negroes" (as they called them then, at least when polite) Do you really think rap is all that different different?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I don't recall "Kill da police", women-dissing and "M-F" as being big in the r&r lexicon, but I don't exempt my generation from contributing to the decline of civility
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

My mother was evacuated from England to Plymouth (Mass) during the war and was there for (I think) 2 years. (She went back to her original school in Bedfordshire. It's interesting to note that when she left England, her school reports had her at several months less than the average age and she was in the top three for four in her form (grade). When she returned she was several months older than average and now routinely about halfway down. But she did learn how to shuffle cards and she did it expertly for the rest of her life. I digress.) Much later - she was maybe in her sixties - she told me that she and her classmates had a fondness for jazz pianist Jelly Roll Morton who died around that time. I never did discuss with her the provenance of Mr Morton's nickname.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

[quot]e=MajGenl.Meade post_id=318148 time=1649275765 user_id=99]
I don't recall "Kill da police", women-dissing and "M-F" as being big in the r&r lexicon, but I don't exempt my generation from contributing to the decline of civility
[/quote]

Sure Meade, it's different specifics, but essentially the same complaint about each generation's music. Rock and roll didn't encourage violence as much as the tendency toward immoral sexual behavior and drug experimentation. I can recall many rock songs that were supposed to make us lose all control and just have sex, including (gasp) interracial sex and/or experimentation with drugs. It was a scourge that had to be stamped out because it threatened the very core of our future. And the claim was no more valid than the claims against the music of today are. Indeed, just like us, I'd bet the kids today love their music, in part, because it pisses people our ages off.

same for jazz; you don't think the bluenoses were pissed off because someone called himself "Jellyroll"?

ETA: Has there been a decline in "civility" over the past few decades? Perhaps, but then I think it depends on your personal status; I doubt many African Americans, especially in the south, would say they were treated more "civilly" under Jim Crow laws. I would think many gay/lesbian men and women, and women in general would say the same thing--they weren't treated more civilly a few decades ago.