This'll cause some angst...

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

This'll cause some angst...

Post by Gob »

The views of a barrister were labelled "transphobic" in a colleague's email, a tribunal has been told.

Allison Bailey is suing her chambers and LGBTQ+ charity Stonewall, arguing she was unlawfully discriminated against due to her view that sex is biological and cannot change.

Ms Bailey, who is a lesbian, argues her employer wrongly treated her views as transphobic.

Her law firm, Garden Court Chambers (GCC), rejects the claims she makes.

The tribunal heard that on 14 December 2018, GCC family law barrister Stephen Lue sent an email to employees to let them know the firm was becoming a "Stonewall Diversity Champion".

Ms Bailey opposed the move. She argued via email that Stonewall was involved in "harassment, intimidation and threats" made to anyone who opposed its viewpoint - a claim the charity rejects.

'Dirty transphobic laundry'
The tribunal heard that Ms Bailey wrote: "There are many of us within the LGBT community who fully support trans rights but who do not support the trans-extremism which is currently being advocated by Stonewall and others.

"I emphatically object to any formal association with Stonewall."

The following day, GCC barrister Michelle Brewer sent an email to Mr Lue, in which she wrote: "Great, now Allison's wholly unfounded allegations are going to be aired... nothing like washing our dirty transphobic laundry in public."

Ms Bailey alleges that as a result of her treatment, her income was "substantially reduced" in comparison to previous years, "most notably to 2018".

She says the central London law firm "withheld instruction and work" from her following these interactions.

Ms Bailey has raised about £500,000 to fund her legal case.

The GCC has said that it "strongly refutes" the claims made against it and that following an investigation in 2019 into complaints made about Ms Bailey's social media posts, it was concluded that no action against her was necessary.

The tribunal, being held at Central London Employment Tribunal at Victory House, continues.
All the "isms" coming into play here; a black lesbian is accused of "transphobia" :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Re: This'll cause some angst...

Post by Scooter »

What is it about being black or lesbian that would make someone immune from being transphobic?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Nothing at all, who claimed there was?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Your laughter at the notion of a black lesbian being transphobic would certainly suggest some level of incredulity at the prospect.

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

My laughter wasn't at a "black lesbian being transphobic" though.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Oh, ok, you're going to play the game where you never actually come out and say what you mean so that whatever anyone says in response is wrong.

Carry on then.

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Please link to another thread where I have done that?

But just to keep you placated, I was thinking of the angst which this event would cause to the "woke".

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Gob wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:29 pm
I was thinking of the angst which this event would cause to the "woke".
I think I'm pretty "woke," as dumb as your use of that term is, and this story causes me no angst whatsoever; you are plainly imagining things.
The tribunal heard that Ms Bailey wrote: "There are many of us within the LGBT community who fully support trans rights but who do not support the trans-extremism which is currently being advocated by Stonewall and others.

"I emphatically object to any formal association with Stonewall."
I frankly don't know what "the trans-extremism which is currently being advocated by Stonewall" is or how Ms. Bailey's objection to formal association with Stonewall is in itself "transphobic," particularly when she apparently includes herself in "the LGBT community who fully support trans rights."

And even if it were true,I also don't understand how it might be "unlawfully discriminat[ory]" to "withheld instruction and work" from her "due to her view that sex is biological and cannot change." Does holding such views make her a member of a protected class? Is there legislation that forbids different treatment of a person based on her "transphobia," whether real or perceived? Are employers and colleagues required to work with someone they think is an asshole?

Finally, I don't even see how this story is newsworthy. Sounds to me like petty office drama dressed up as a lawsuit.
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Sue U wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:48 pm
I frankly don't know what "the trans-extremism which is currently being advocated by Stonewall" is or how Ms. Bailey's objection to formal association with Stonewall is in itself "transphobic," particularly when she apparently includes herself in "the LGBT community who fully support trans rights."
Happy to translate for you.

"fully support trans rights" means "only insofar as it doesn't involve actually treating trans women as women"

and

"trans-extremism" means "any assertion of trans rights that advocates treating trans women as women"

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And even if it were true,I also don't understand how it might be "unlawfully discriminat[ory]" to "withheld instruction and work" from her "due to her view that sex is biological and cannot change
the only thing that comes to mind is if the Chambers was a partnership of which she was a member. Protected class or not, partners do have certain fiduciary duties to their fellow partners and cannot target or otherwise gang up on them in a way which may affect their income. They can be voted outed in accordance with law and/or the partnership agreement, but this sort of targeting would likely be illegal in many (most?) states and may well be in the UK.

But, FWIW, he r opinion doesn't cause me any angst either; I no more expect the gay and lesbian community to be of one opinion as to trans individuals than I expect any other community to be so.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Sue U wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:48 pm

I think I'm pretty "woke," as dumb as your use of that term is, and this story causes me no angst whatsoever; you are plainly imagining things.

Ah, what an ego! So, if you consider yourself "woke", and it doesn't cause you angst, then it doesn't cause anyone woke angst! That's it sorted for all time and all people then.

One day you yanks and moose shaggers will get the concept of "taking the piss".