You may not have noticed

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Sue U

You may not have noticed

Post by Sue U »

... but my hometown sportsball team are now the National League champions. The city is remarkably calm this evening, considering. (I'm downtown with my youngest, dragging her back to school.)
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Re: You may not have noticed

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Congrats to the Cream Cheesers. I see the Space Dogs beat the Blankees as well. Should be an interesting series.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Honestly, I didn't have very much hope for this season at all and was not even half paying attention when the Phils stumbled into the playoffs, but they seem to have finally caught fire in the post-season. The Astros are going to be tough, with or without the sign-stealing.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Baseball? What is this baseball you speak of?

It’s been a sad season for BoSox fans.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:06 pm
Baseball? What is this baseball you speak of?

It’s been a sad season for BoSox fans.
Looks like it's going to be a long winter for Wisconsin sports fans too.  The Brewers missed the post-season for the first time since 2017, and the Packers seem to be in a death spiral into mediocrity, having lost four of their last five games on the way to a 2-4 record so far, and extending their losing streak to three games after falling to the Washington team last Sunday.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Have the owners of the Green Bay Packers considered selling the team, or moving to to another city? (Might cut their taxes?)

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:42 am
Have the owners of the Green Bay Packers considered selling the team, or moving to to another city? (Might cut their taxes?)

snailgate
As a part-owner of the team myself, I can say it ain't moving anywhere.  The day will come when there will be teams in Europe, on Mars, or even in some form of enhanced reality, but even then they're gonna have to come to Lambeau and play on the Frozen Tundra.

What the Packers need to do is start looking for a replacement for Rodgers, because even though he still shows some of his old talents and skills, he ain't gonna last forever.

We also need to get back to playing the game on the field in real time, without delays for booth reviews or coach's challenges.  Seriously – there's something like eight or nine refs on the field during a game...   surely ONE of them is going to be in a position to see the play and make a call.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Nice to learn that BB is one of the owners. Really a unique institution. Imagine a team owned by the community they play in.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Long Run wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:23 pm
Nice to learn that BB is one of the owners. Really a unique institution. Imagine a team owned by the community they play in.
Yeah, I own one share of stock, which grants me a vote for the board of directors at the annual meeting, and gets me a discount on admission to the Packer Hall of Fame, the Lambeau Stadium tour packages, or access to special "team owner" shirts, hats, etc through the Packer Pro Shop.  It also allows me, while sitting at the local watering hole, to preface any comments I might make about the game, the play calling, the draft picks, or even the prices of tickets and refreshments with "Y'know, if I owned the Packers — and by the way, I do..." and then go on with my observations.

Otherwise, it's just an interesting thing to have in a frame and hanging on the wall of the man-cave (along with Katherine's picture).
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

What a fantastic World Series the Phillies and Astros are putting on for baseball fans!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Golfbats?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Basefoot?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:13 pm
Basefoot?
The sensible version of Krikkit.

-"BB"-

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I prefer kabaddi. Baseball would really up the level of competition were the base runners holding their breath throughout.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:54 am
What a fantastic World Series the Phillies and Astros are putting on for baseball fans!
As a partisan, I was hoping our hometown boys would have risen to the occasion a bit better, but the games have provided some rollercoaster thrills and nailbiting moments. On to Houston, where hopefully the Phils can kick the Astros right in the Juicebox.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Well it’s nice for Dusty Baker, anyway.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I don't know who won because I'm boycotting Qatar!