Comin into Los Angeles...

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

Comin into Los Angeles...

Post by Gob »

But not carrying anything, honest officer.

Flying back to Australia, the best flight deal transits me via LA, (not confidential.)

I don't think this breaks my life long commitment to never set foot in the USA, does it?

Going back for a couple of weeks, just to catch up with Hatch and her man, and also to attend Hatch's MSc graduation ceremony.

Hen is staying in the UK to look after our chaps.

Watch this space.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Re: Comin into Los Angeles...

Post by Scooter »

That's got to be at least 30 hours of flying/stopover time. How the fuck do you stand it?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Easy. I love flying.

However, due to them changing my flight details, and requiring a visa to transit via the USA*, I've ditched that booking.

*Seriously, WTF?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Laughable. Threatening to cancel due to them fucking me about, they restated my old flights and dropped the price a few quid.

Now to get a yankie visa. You lot keep schtum!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of certain countries, including Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom, to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa, if certain requirements are met. Under the VWP, time spent in Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands counts towards the maximum of 90 days stay allowed under the program.
I'd have thought that if you were eligible to make a visa-less visit the USA for 90 days under VWP, there could be no earthly need for a visa to change planes in the USA***. Are you dealing with some cheap-ticket on-line service that's a bit foggy on details?

***Unless you were required to go through US Immigration to travel to a different airport??? You've traveled a lot - bet you've always transited airports without going through immigration. Hmmm, we changed planes in Cairo once and found we had to wander out into the airport general concourse with exits to the outside to reach another gate - guess we could have visited Egypt for an hour
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes you need ESTA even if you are a UK citizen and do not need a visa. ESTA is not a visa but acts like one.

ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) is required for the entry to the United States even if visa requirements are waived and you are just transiting. You have to do it 3 days in advance of travel. You can apply on line here.

I know I have transited from one international flight to another in Bahrain and Beirut and I think once in Cairo 60 years ago and my recollection is that provided you stay on the international side of the airport you do not need any sort of visa. I think this ESTA thing is a post 11 Sept 2001 thing - security theatre.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Gob

Post by Gob »

I think Andy nailed it. Still having problems with the ticket agency, going for the best price isn't always wisest.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gob--are you sure you need a visa? As I recall, Australia (You are travelling on an Australian passport, correct?) participates in the US visa waiver program; maybe it's changed since covid, but you may want to check to be sure. I know Australia requires a visa for US citizens to enter (at least they did a few months back when my friend went there), but permit transit without a visa if the time in Australia is short (and you don't leave the airport).

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

As Andy said, and Gob confirmed, he needs an ESTA, which is how entrants from visa waiver countries are now processed.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I guess I should have read all the previous posts; you learn something every day. Thanks Scooter.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:07 pm
I guess I should have read all the previous posts; you learn something every day. Thanks Scooter.
Yeah, you would have learned I already made the same mistake :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts