Why Taking the Train is Better than Flying

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Why Taking the Train is Better than Flying

Post by Bicycle Bill »

This Train Is Actually a National Park

Is there anything cooler than a train that's actually a National Park?
A voice crackled over the intercom as we pulled out of Seattle’s King Street Station.

Instead of announcing an upcoming station or interminable delay, it informed us this train (Amtrak’s Coast Starlight, between Seattle and Portland) was part of 'Trails & Rails'.  This little-advertised, unbelievably cool partnership between the National Park Service and Amtrak brings volunteer rangers on board the train to give a casual guided tour along the 175-mile route, making each train its own national park.
(read the rest)
I'll just note here that this isn't the only route to provide something like this.  There are several other trains traversing other parts of the country where similar programs occur.  Check this link to see if there are any running in your neck of the woods.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Long Run

Re: Why Taking the Train is Better than Flying

Post by Long Run »

The photo is, of course, not of the Seattle-to-Portland run. Looks more like central California coast. How hard is it to get a relevant picture?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Long Run wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:15 pm
The photo is, of course, not of the Seattle-to-Portland run. Looks more like central California coast. How hard is it to get a relevant picture?
It's easy - but not as sexy

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I rode that train when I was 17. I was returning to Arizona after a short lived relocation to tri-cities Washington with a boyfriend. We had taken busses to get there, but on the way back to Arizona my mom got us train tickets and the longest stretch was on the Coastal Starlight. The views of the coast are beautiful, but I will never forget the intense green and moss-covered everything of the forests of Oregon through which the tracks are laid. I was thrilled by all that amazing rainforest.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Long Run wrote:
I lifted the picture from the article itself, so blame them, not me.   I too suspect it was taken somewhere along the run between Vandenberg AFB and the Ventura/Osnard area.

But it is the same train, which continues on down to Los Angeles, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.   At least they didn't use a picture of the Empire Builder crossing the Continental Divide, or the Sunset Limited rolling through the Louisiana bayous on its way from New Orleans to LA by way of Texas and the American Southwest.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:35 pm
Long Run wrote:
It's easy - but not as sexy . . . the image went away. Here's a better one.

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I've taken the train from Seattle to Portland but I don't remember much of the scenery being quite so dramatic (I was traveling for business so maybe I missed it while reviewing documents). It do recall it was a pleasant ride, though, and I'd rather take a train anywhere than drive or even fly (when time is not an issue).
GAH!

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Took one long train trip...nastiest rest rooms I ever saw and had a seat-mate with strict cultural taboos against bathing from Newark to Washington. That was fun. Never again, not without a private room.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I've taken the Newark to Washington (and Newark to Boston) regional and acela trains many times; none were particularly luxurious, but none as bad as you describe Jarl. Sounds like you just had some bad luck; I would take the train over the plane on those routes anytime (and I have had flights much worse than any train ride I have ever had) . FWIW, I think train travel on those routes is much cheaper than driving when parking is factored in. And, if you crave a little more luxury, acela first class is better than any flight domestic first class for about the same price as a coach tickets to those destinations--you even get a meal (not 5 star but not bad) and wine (drinkable); worth looking at. I don't think I've ever been on a US train as good as the longer haul (3+ hour) trains I have been on in Europe, but they could improve to that level (not sure why they don't). As for a private room, I've never seen one except in the movies, so I really don't know how they are.