Girls on tour

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

Re: Girls on tour

Post by Gob »

The Hen wrote:Colour me unfaithful but, as a mother, I do not trust you on that.

You seem to be attempting to justify the indefensible.

If I told you that Hatch should not be allowed to go to the local park without anti-tiger spray or the tigers would get her. Do you not think you would adopt a similar attitude to mine?

People keep banging on about rock fall. There is as much chance of rock fall at this cliff as there is a slate falling off a roof and hitting the child, therefore as much need for the child to wear a helmet while it is being walked down the street..

One person on this forum knows this cliff, why not take their perspective into account.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Gob wrote:Or maybe it was just an automatic reflex from when she climbs hard and unsafe climbs, like putting your seatbelt on when you get in a car. Most climbers and adventure sports people do things like that, it becomes almost like a ritual.
And why did it become a "ritual". Clearly rock climbers put helmets on because there is something about the sport that makes them say "I need to wear a helmet when I do this."

Which means her kid should have been wearing one too, or shouldn't have been there.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Tiger will get the kid otherwise.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So you're saying that rock climbers were their helmets as a fashion statement, then? They serve absolutely no purpose?

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'm saying that helmets may or may not be worn depending on the climb, and the climbers wish. Top roping this climb would not, in my view, require a helmet. My guess is she put in on out of habit rather than need. I would happily let the Hatch be top roped up this climb without a helmet. I have never worn a helmet while rock climbing.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Gob wrote:I have never worn a helmet while rock climbing.
not helping your argument.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

LOL!! :D

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oh, I have taken Hatch to our local climbing wall many times, no hemets worn there either.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Gob wrote:I'm saying that helmets may or may not be worn depending on the climb, and the climbers wish.
And the climber, in this case, wished to wear a helmet
My guess is she put in on out of habit rather than need.
So you believe she was climbing on autopilot i.e. oblivious to the safety of the child she was carrying.

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. Either she chose to protect herself and not her child, or she is climbing without thinking, meaning her child is being endangered.

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Canberra Indoor Rock Climbing now offers a mums and bubs climbing session. It runs every Tuesday - Friday from 12-3pm at our South centre, 26 Raws Cres. Hume, Canberra.

The mums and bubs session is for any parents or guardians with children 5 years and under, including coaching, harness hire, tea and coffee and a safe and fun play area for the kids! There is plenty of room for prams and a microwave to heat baby bottles/food.

Canberra Indoor Rock Climbing will be offering a trial to 5 lucky Mums Say members in Canberra. If you would like to attend a session, please post your interest below. You will be asked to share your experience with other Mums Say members.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote: Either she chose to protect herself and not her child, or she is climbing without thinking, meaning her child is being endangered.
So someone getting into a car and putting their seatbelt on is "driving without thinking"?

Really?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

People who get into a car and put their seatbelt on are doing so for a purpose. You are claiming this woman put on a helmet for no reason at all i.e. she was not thinking.

I don't put my seatbelt on if I get into the car for a purpose other than driving e.g. to look for something, clean the interior, etc. And I seriously doubt anyone else does, either.

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

I claimed that she may have put it on automatically, like I put my hat on to walk the dogs. This has become such a normal thing to do that I put it on when it's not sunny. Easliy done, we're all human.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Taking a 4-month old baby up a rock face strapped to a back with a sling is not "automatic," its dangerous, selfish, and insane. Or, as Hen succinctly put it, indefensible.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

I disagree, and while not wanting to seem boastful, I consider myself better versed in the climbing, protection invoved, and crag than anyone else who has commented here.

It's my view that this event is no more dangerous than her walking down a busy city street with the child in that back pack.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Perhaps, but I don't believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) you're better versed in parenting an infant --- and thus, IMO, your disconnect.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

That's true, and no offense taken.

Sean

Post by Sean »

The Hen wrote:Colour me unfaithful but, as a mother, I do not trust you on that.

You seem to be attempting to justify the indefensible.

The woman was a complete twat. She has her twattiness published and just about every sane person in the world agrees that she was a selfish moron.

Your repeated defence of her piss-weak position on this matter is starting to remind me of another poster.
Ouch! :lol:

That was a lo blow...
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Gob

Post by Gob »

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=58077

A nice shot showing the easy angle of the cliff. The route she was on takes the left edge of the raised slab on the small pinnacle far left of the photo.
Twenty five foot of the easiest grade .

Sean

Post by Sean »

Unfortunately the full size pic is only available to registered users and I don't even have ny own helmet! :fu
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?